PA riders: Easton to Philly?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Jonathan Frethe, Apr 27, 2003.

  1. What's the best route from Easton to Philly?

    I'm trying to end up just a couple blocks west of the Spring Garden St. bridge in Powelton.

    thanx much.

    BTW, I just spent a week in Philly and was impressed with the bike lanes, etc. --very easy city to
    get around; generally felt very safe in traffic. kudos to whatever philly bike association worked
    hard in the last 10-15 yrs to make that happen.

    Tags:

  2. Billcotton

    Billcotton Guest

    The best way I think is the Cir 1976 East Coast Bicycle Trail map set by the East Coast Bicycle
    Congress. The route uses roads on the new Jersey side of the Delaware from Phillipsburg NJ to
    Lambertville NJ, entering PA at New Hope and following roads that shadow Rt. 202 to Norristown where
    you could link with the Schuylkill Trail. Below is a cue that I use from Philadelphia to the
    Bethlehem Musikfest every year. you can to use this to Hatfield. Below this cue is a cue for Bruno
    to Lansdale Hatfield. Reverse this will bring you to the end of the Wissahickon trail by making a
    left turn. this trail ends at the Schuylkill in about three mile, this trail is hard pack. However,
    the paved Schuylkill can be reach by following the BCP road marking about three miles further.

    http://www.billcotton.com/cue_sheets_BC.htm#Horsham%20to%20Bethlehem%20via%2
    Ambler,%20Hatfield%20and%20Quakertown%20and%20return%20100%20miles

    --
    // Bill Cotton: Latitude N40° 03.756' W75° 06.192' / / Phone 215 663-8363 Data 215 663-8364 //
    [email protected] [email protected] // [email protected] [email protected] //

    "Jonathan Fretheim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What's the best route from Easton to Philly?
    >
    > I'm trying to end up just a couple blocks west of the Spring Garden St. bridge in Powelton.
    >
    > thanx much.
    >
    > BTW, I just spent a week in Philly and was impressed with the bike lanes, etc. --very easy city to
    > get around; generally felt very safe in traffic. kudos to whatever philly bike association worked
    > hard in the last 10-15 yrs to make that happen.

  3. Jdtpumps

    Jdtpumps Guest

    You can ride from Easton to Bristol, PA on the Pennsylvania Canal towpath, suitable for 700x25
    or fatter tires. From there you can take Rt 13 south, which turns into Torresdale Ave. This
    time of year it is an absolutely beautiful ride, with plenty of places to stop and rest or get
    a bite to eat.

  4. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    On 27 Apr 2003 10:30:12 -0700, [email protected] (Jonathan Fretheim) wrote:

    >What's the best route from Easton to Philly?

    >BTW, I just spent a week in Philly and was impressed with the bike lanes, etc. --very easy city to
    >get around; generally felt very safe in traffic. kudos to whatever philly bike association worked
    >hard in the last 10-15 yrs to make that happen.

    I'm a frequent visitor to Philly and have done the Skpookgle...SHookle....errr the canal ride that
    one of the other posters had noted (great ride EXCEPT for the sewage plant :O ) -

    I have not spent much time riding IN Philly - any location for maps or routes you can recommend?

  5. Billcotton

    Billcotton Guest

    http://www.bikemap.com/ http://www.billcotton.com/philadelphia_area_bicycle_trails.htm
    http://phillybikeclub.org/ Club's Library http://www.quovadimus.net/bcp/

    --

    <Dave Miller> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On 27 Apr 2003 10:30:12 -0700, [email protected] (Jonathan Fretheim) wrote:
    >
    > >What's the best route from Easton to Philly?
    >

    > >BTW, I just spent a week in Philly and was impressed with the bike lanes, etc. --very easy city
    > >to get around; generally felt very safe in traffic. kudos to whatever philly bike association
    > >worked hard in the last 10-15 yrs to make that happen.
    >
    > I'm a frequent visitor to Philly and have done the Skpookgle...SHookle....errr the canal ride that
    > one of the other posters had noted (great ride EXCEPT for the sewage plant :O ) -
    >
    > I have not spent much time riding IN Philly - any location for maps or routes you can recommend?

  6. Take a look at my nascent web site. It contains links to many and routes in Philly. The URL is
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/miketordoff/

    Mike Tordoff