Padded cycling shorts lacerating one's backside

Niblox

Nov 21, 2004
Hi there

Has anyone had the following problem: I was out with the local cycling club on Sunday and we did about 60 miles, mostly in the rain, at the fairly fast pace (17 mph average). I was wearing a new pair of Nalini bibshorts and I noticed that I was getting very uncomfortable towards the end.

When I got home I found a strip of skin (about 3-4 inches long and about 0.5" wide) on both cheeks of my backside :mad: had been lacerated by the front EDGE of the padded insert. It was so sore on Sunday that I could not sit down properly and it is taking a long time to heal.

Is this something anyone else has experienced? Does it only occur when you go out in the rain? Is this exclusive to Nalini shorts /bibshorts? I have never had this problem with shorts before. Can anyone advise?

All the best

Niblox

Niblox said:
Hi there

Has anyone had the following problem: I was out with the local cycling club on Sunday and we did about 60 miles, mostly in the rain, at the fairly fast pace (17 mph average). I was wearing a new pair of Nalini bibshorts and I noticed that I was getting very uncomfortable towards the end.

When I got home I found a strip of skin (about 3-4 inches long and about 0.5" wide) on both cheeks of my backside :mad: had been lacerated by the front EDGE of the padded insert. It was so sore on Sunday that I could not sit down properly and it is taking a long time to heal.

Is this something anyone else has experienced? Does it only occur when you go out in the rain? Is this exclusive to Nalini shorts /bibshorts? I have never had this problem with shorts before. Can anyone advise?

All the best

Niblox
In regards to healing, get some A&D ointment and put it on thick. I have used it for all three of my kids when they had severe diaper rash. If you keep the area clean and dry it will heal very quickly.

I have always worn Perl Izumi shorts. Recently I bought a pair for Voler shorts and within the first few minutes I could tell that they would not be as comfortable as I am used to. I have heard others say the same thing about other brands. I think PI is the only way to go. I have ridden drenched in sweat and soaked from the rain, my PI shorts have never bothered me.

Niblox said:
... I was wearing a new pair of Nalini bibshorts and I noticed that I was getting very uncomfortable towards the end.

When I got home I found a strip of skin (about 3-4 inches long and about 0.5" wide) on both cheeks of my backside :mad: had been lacerated by the front EDGE of the padded insert.
Huh? Shorts on backwards? THAT would explain a lot.

Niblox said:
....Is this something anyone else has experienced? Does it only occur when you go out in the rain? Is this exclusive to Nalini shorts /bibshorts?
All gear is not created equal, not from the same manufacturer, not even from the same design line. Get the thread tension wrong(among other things) on the sewing machine and it will mess up the seam.
Inspect the seam, both visually and by running your fingers over it. Does it look/feel different than the other seams then you probably got a lemon. If it checks out OK, then maybe that brand/size/model simply isn't for you. If you're stubborn enough you might try wearing then for shorter rides and see if they get any better, just as you would break in a new pair of shoes.

Are they new? I have trouble with new shorts - but they are generally ok after I have broken them in. Not sure if this is the shorts adapting to my ass, or my ass adapting to the shorts.

Yojimbo_ said:
Are they new? I have trouble with new shorts - but they are generally ok after I have broken them in. Not sure if this is the shorts adapting to my ass, or my ass adapting to the shorts.
Yes, they are new, but I wore them before and they didn't give any problems. The only time that they gave problems was when they got soaked through.

Well, it has been 5 days since my backside had a strip (literally) cut off it, but the advice from Azul Fahrrad was helpful. Allied to this I used a trick that my tattooist (yes I have tattoos!) advised me to use: apply the healing cream and then place a piece of clingfilm over the affected area and tape it into place with micropore tape. This has resulted in rapid healing.

Earlier in the week I tried using spray-on dressing which resulted in the wound sticking to my pants with the result that every time I stood up or took my pants off, a layer of healing skin came with it and I was back to square one again. I tried wearing jockstraps but they just resulted in the wound sticking to the trousers.

This evening I got out for 16 miles and wore a pair of rugby undershorts with my bibshorts, and I had no problems.

We live and learn....this had the opportunity to turn into something fairly serious - especially on the backside where keeping it clean is difficult and infection is a likely possibility.

azul_fahrrad said:
I have always worn Perl Izumi shorts.
My Pearl Izumis bunch up in the crotch and get hot under the pad. At least my cheap Performance shorts stay reasonably cool and don't bunch as much, mainly because there's less material to bunch.

I'm trying a couple pairs of Biemme bibs I purchased on eBay. So far, I like them, but they haven't been really put to the test.

The last time my skin got roughed up was also a ride in the wet. I suspect the padding material can swell and stiffen up when soaked, thereby increasing the friction. Yet again, that particular pair of knick was a one size larger than what I should have. The slight looseness may also have something to do with it.