Pain in crease of leg behind the knee

beowulf

Aug 6, 2007
I've been doing quite a lot of training over the winter months building up to do some Sportive events . I went mountain biking in Wales over the Easter break on a Full-sus bike rather than my normal hardtail and I'm now getting a pain in the soft tissue in the crease of my leg behind the knee. I've laid off it for a while and started using it again but the pain is recurring. Its just a dull ache and hurts when I go up the stairs. Any suggestions on a fix

beowulf said:
I've been doing quite a lot of training over the winter months building up to do some Sportive events . I went mountain biking in Wales over the Easter break on a Full-sus bike rather than my normal hardtail and I'm now getting a pain in the soft tissue in the crease of my leg behind the knee. I've laid off it for a while and started using it again but the pain is recurring. Its just a dull ache and hurts when I go up the stairs. Any suggestions on a fix
Lower your seat a bit. Pain behind the knee generally indicates a high saddle position while pain in the front of the knee often indicates a low saddle position. You could also make a point to stretch your hamstrings and calves after a good warmup, tightness back there can lead to the kind of pain you're describing.

-Dave

+1 and FWIW I would also add if you are sure the saddle height is correct (90 mile ride with no problems in the past for instance) then I would supplement hyaluronic acid to keep tendons hydrated behind the knee. If the front of the knee is painful then increasing vitamin C seems to help joints heal.

daveryanwyoming said:
Lower your seat a bit. Pain behind the knee generally indicates a high saddle position while pain in the front of the knee often indicates a low saddle position. You could also make a point to stretch your hamstrings and calves after a good warmup, tightness back there can lead to the kind of pain you're describing.

-Dave