Pain in lower back / coxis ?

Dave

Guest
A few weeks ago I brought a new bed / mattress. Before this the old one had dipped quite badly in
the middle, looked like a crater! I had been having slight pain in my lower back which I thought was
attributed to lying on the old mattress. Since having the new one the pain has got worse and I'm
wondering if I've in some way permently done some damage to my lower back or coxis. Simply bending
down can now and if I sit in a chair and raise either leg I get this pain from my coxis.

Have I pinched a nerve maybe ? I know I will have to see an osteopath sooner or later but any ideas
as to what caused this ? I do cleaning work which involves a fair degree of moping also though
have'nt done this for a month

Dave wrote:

> I had been having slight pain in my lower back which I thought was attributed to lying on the old
> mattress. Since having the new one the pain has got worse and I'm wondering if I've in some way
> permently done some damage to my lower back or coxis. Simply bending down can now and if I sit in
> a chair and raise either leg I get this pain from my coxis.

That sounds like the back pain I used to have years ago. I replaced my bed and that didn't solve
the problem.

What worked (and I don't know why) was starting on a calcium supplement. I don't have the risk
factors for osteoporosis, so I don't think that had anything to do with why the calcium worked. But
it worked quite well. No more lower back pain.

The supplement I take actually has calcium, magnesium, and zinc. It's the cheapest generic store
brand. When it comes to minerals, there is no difference between the cheapest stuff and the most
expensive. Originally, I took three tablets daily, each having 1/3 of the US RDA for these minerals.
However, I noticed on rare occasions a slight fluttering feeling in the area of my heart, and that
went away when cut back to two tablets daily. So now, I get 2/3 US RDA from the tablets and rely on
my diet for the other 1/3.

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:10:10 -0000, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

>if I sit in a chair and raise either leg I get this pain from my coxis.

coccyx

>involves a fair degree of moping

You gotta stop 'moping' around.

> A few weeks ago I brought a new bed / mattress. Before this the old one
had
> dipped quite badly in the middle, looked like a crater! I had been having slight pain in my lower
> back which I thought was attributed to lying on
the
> old mattress. Since having the new one the pain has got worse and I'm wondering if I've in some
> way permently done some damage to my lower back
or
> coxis. Simply bending down can now and if I sit in a chair and raise
either
> leg I get this pain from my coxis.
>
> Have I pinched a nerve maybe ? I know I will have to see an osteopath
sooner
> or later but any ideas as to what caused this ? I do cleaning work which involves a fair degree of
> moping also though have'nt done this for a month

Sounds like something I had once. It was so painful I couldn't sit down. I suffered from this for
about three months. Eventually, a lot of testing showed that nothing was wrong with me. So I just
sat down, bore the pain and told myself that there was nothing wrong with me. Next day there was
nothing wrong with me. The doctor explained that occasionally people get phantom pains in this area.
I would suggest going to a doctor, because you could have damaged something. While ignoring the pain
worked for me, it was only because I knew there was nothing wrong.

BTW, don't allow anyone to diagnose your problem over the usenet. Seek qualified medical advice.
There are a few cirtifiable loonies around here, and many others with wierd ideas.

--
"The emperor is naked!"
"No he isn't, he's merely endorsing a clothing-optional lifestyle!"

to email me
Please remove "all your clothes"

Doug

Get a quality Chiropractic Doctor.