pain in lower back

patricia lawrence

Guest
Hi,
I currently work out 4 -5 days a week , 2 weight workouts and the rest CV.
I use a treadmill at the gym, and warm up for two minutes at about 6k/ph,
then run at 9.5 for a minute then 14 for a minute.
I do this sort of interval running for a total of twenty minutes.
However just lately im struggling to get past fifteen minutes with
terrible lower back pain, causing me to give up. Do you think it could be my
training shoes, they are nike air ,but have had them for over five years,
but only wear them in the gym, and are in no way wrecked.I know that seems a
long time, but how can you tell if there knackered without the rips and
tears.Maybe Its the heavy pounding on the treadmill, as Im 6-3 and 17-17.5
stone, but in quite good shape. If anyone has any advce, it will be much
appreciated.
Cheers Vinnie. (oh yeah this message will be listed in my Mothers name,
please ignore that.)

The shoes are not the problem, it's your weight. At 6'3" and 245 pounds
(17.5 stone) your body weight is far above the "healthy weight" range.
Unless you are a professional bodybuilder with less than 5% bodyfat,
you would be considered obese. So I need a little more information on
what you mean by "in shape." I'm not trying to be harsh, just honest.
Also, anytime you're feeling lower back pain, this can be a very
dangerous thing. I'd suggest getting this diagnosed by a doctor.
Preferably a doctor with a background in sports injurys.

> Hi,
> I currently work out 4 -5 days a week , 2 weight workouts and the

rest CV.
> I use a treadmill at the gym, and warm up for two minutes at about

6k/ph,
> then run at 9.5 for a minute then 14 for a minute.
> I do this sort of interval running for a total of twenty minutes.
> However just lately im struggling to get past fifteen minutes with

> terrible lower back pain, causing me to give up. Do you think it

could be my
> training shoes, they are nike air ,but have had them for over five

years,
> but only wear them in the gym, and are in no way wrecked.I know that

seems a
> long time, but how can you tell if there knackered without the rips

and
> tears.Maybe Its the heavy pounding on the treadmill, as Im 6-3 and

17-17.5
> stone, but in quite good shape. If anyone has any advce, it will be

much
> appreciated.
> Cheers Vinnie. (oh yeah this message will be listed in my Mothers

name,
> please ignore that.)

"patricia lawrence" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
> I currently work out 4 -5 days a week , 2 weight workouts and the rest CV.
> I use a treadmill at the gym, and warm up for two minutes at about 6k/ph,
> then run at 9.5 for a minute then 14 for a minute.
> I do this sort of interval running for a total of twenty minutes.
> However just lately im struggling to get past fifteen minutes with
> terrible lower back pain, causing me to give up. Do you think it could be
> my training shoes, they are nike air ,but have had them for over five
> years, but only wear them in the gym, and are in no way wrecked.I know
> that seems a long time, but how can you tell if there knackered without
> the rips and tears.Maybe Its the heavy pounding on the treadmill, as Im
> 6-3 and 17-17.5 stone, but in quite good shape. If anyone has any advce,
> it will be much appreciated.

you are clearly a heavy runner and that's ok..the treadmill is a forgiving
surface but 5 friggin years on a pair of sneakers? cmon. get yourself a new,
decent pair of sneaks that are recommended for heavy runners and layoff the
pies and bridies for awhile. you also might want to slow down a bit and run
longer, slower rather than making every workout an interval workout. at your
size i would suggest you shouldnt be doing any speed work. Be kind to your
joints...(resisting obligatory ganja reference).

Good Luck!

ps.

and learn how to change your id! Posting under mom's name is really opening
you up to some abuse! Get a cool name, like Filthy Sanchez or something like
that....oh yea, read a book now and then and keep up on the personal
hygiene. that's enough for today. come back when you've implemented some of
these improvements! :)

macelroy wrote:

> The shoes are not the problem, it's your weight.

Shoes could definitely be the problem. Poor
alignment from worn out or improper shoes can
easily cause lower back problems when running.

patricia lawrence wrote:
> Hi,
> I currently work out 4 -5 days a week , 2 weight workouts and the rest CV.
> I use a treadmill at the gym, and warm up for two minutes at about 6k/ph,
> then run at 9.5 for a minute then 14 for a minute.
> I do this sort of interval running for a total of twenty minutes.
> However just lately im struggling to get past fifteen minutes with
> terrible lower back pain, causing me to give up.

Suggestion. Try running outside at a conversational effort (talk to
yourself if you need to check), forget the watch except to know when
it's time to come home (so you don't overdo it). If you have some easy
trails, you might try them. Vary your workouts. I recognize that tm in
gyms frequently have a 20-min limit so that may be limiting what you can
do. FWIW, some people use at least 10 min for a warmup then 10 min for
cool down. 20 min isn't really a long enough time period and your
mileage base is probably too low to worry about speed work -although I
don't know what effort level these various paces represent for you.

What I should have asked first is: What are your goals? Just spending
time on tm, races, fitness, weight control, ...? It may not matter to
you if you can run more than 20 min.

Do you think it could be my
> training shoes, they are nike air ,but have had them for over five years,
> but only wear them in the gym,

Shoes wear out in gym as well as outside. Usually it's the mid-sole that
becomes less functional over time - with few exterior signs of wear -
and that means it's time for new shoes.

and are in no way wrecked.I know that seems a
> long time, but how can you tell if there knackered without the rips and
> tears.

Easiest way is to compare with a new, but broken in, pair. The way I
tell if my shoes are ready for retirement from running is to
have two pairs broken in and alternate them with the better pair being
used for longer or rockier runs. When I notice a difference in the two
is when the older gets retired from regular running (may use for
snowshoe running or hiking). There's been several discussions lately,
including the one "When are shoes worn out?"

You might want to go to store and try on a new pair of same style shoes.
If they feel different, you may need new shoes. Of course, in 5 years,
the model has probably undergone several revisions, so you may have to
imagine the differences.

Maybe Its the heavy pounding on the treadmill, as Im 6-3 and 17-17.5
> stone, but in quite good shape. If anyone has any advce, it will be much
> appreciated.

You might try running more lightly. See the threads on biomechanics and
cadence, but use caution in changing anything (assuming cadence is
substantially less than 180) and change slowly. Basic idea is to
minimize vertical movement.

Good luck.

Dot

--
"After 26 hours 38 minutes, we accomplished our mission, and the next
day were fortunate to read about our adventure in the sports section of

Oh c'mon, the doctors told you when you had the surgury, that the tail
might eventually grow back.