Painting anodized rims

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ted Bennett, Mar 19, 2003.

  1. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    Will the anodization make any difference in the best painting process?

    What would be an effective way to mask the braking sidewalls?

    Thanks for any advice.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    My advice..don't paint the rims!! Sorry, but that's my opinion!! :)

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "Ted Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Will the anodization make any difference in the best painting process?
    >
    > What would be an effective way to mask the braking sidewalls?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.
    >
    > --
    > Ted Bennett Portland OR

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Ted Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Will the anodization make any difference in the best painting process?
    >
    > What would be an effective way to mask the braking sidewalls?

    Common practice is to paint the whole thing and then cut back the braking surface. A blade held
    against the rim turning in a bike or a truing stand would be a simple and fast job.

  4. On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, A Muzi wrote:
    > "Ted Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > What would be an effective way to mask the braking sidewalls?
    > Common practice is to paint the whole thing and then cut back the braking surface. A blade held
    > against the rim turning in a bike or a truing stand would be a simple and fast job.

    I would do it differently, and in a simpler manner I think. Apply tape (paper tape of the kind body
    shops use) to the sides, a little bit oversize; trim it nicely with a sharp utility knife; paint
    over the whole thing and finally peel off the tape.

    Sergio Pisa

  5. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Will the anodization make any difference in the best painting process?

    I gotta ask, "Why would you paint a rim?"

    Dick Durbin

  6. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]
    > says...
    > >Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> Will the anodization make any difference in the best painting
    process?
    > >I gotta ask, "Why would you paint a rim?"
    >
    > To match the frames paint job, is one reason.

    What a waste of time unless you use a rattle can, and that stuff will chip off in the first week.
    Just setting up and cleaning the gun is reason enough for me not to trifle with this. Plus, who
    wants everything to match! -- Jay Beattie.

  7. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    > Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote
    > > Will the anodization make any difference in the best painting process?
    >
    > I gotta ask, "Why would you paint a rim?"
    >
    > Dick Durbin

    Cuz I thought it might be nice to have the rims exactly match the frame color.

    Just cosmesis, I know.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  8. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    > What a waste of time unless you use a rattle can, and that stuff will chip off in the first week.
    > Just setting up and cleaning the gun is reason enough for me not to trifle with this. Plus, who
    > wants everything to match! -- Jay Beattie.

    No extra setup, as the rims (unbuilt, obviously) and the frame would be done at the same time.

    As for matching everything, I don't want that either.

    One of my sisters decided she wanted a white bike, and sprayed the whole thing without disassembling
    anything. Handlebars, cables, seat, chain, cranks etc. One of the worst things I've ever seen.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  9. In article <tedbennett-9D1A5C.1[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >One of my sisters decided she wanted a white bike, and sprayed the whole thing without
    >disassembling anything. Handlebars, cables, seat, chain, cranks etc. One of the worst things I've
    >ever seen.

    I've seen a few bikes done like this, yellow and orange seem to be the favorite colors for this type
    of paint job.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  10. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

  11. Mark Lee

    Mark Lee Guest

    "Dick Durbin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Will the anodization make any difference in the best painting process?
    >
    > I gotta ask, "Why would you paint a rim?"
    >
    > Dick Durbin

    To increase the mass and therefore the gyroscopic effect. This effect is what makes a bike rideable.
    (as opposed to "Blade" scooters with their tiny wheels which are obviously scientifically
    impossible-to-ride) Mark Lee