Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Painting rims

Started by O. Simonsen · · Last activity · 8 posts · 271 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 November 2004
Last activity
10 November 2004
Original author
O. Simonsen
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
271
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all...

    I have a pair of slightly used Mavic Reflex rims that i wamt to use i
    the winter. They have a odd golden color and I would like to spray
    paint them dark grey/black. But will it last?? I'm thinking of using
    god quality car paint (like Motip) and prepare them with a god
    cleaning before painting - but will it be enough??

    Any advice??

    O. Simonsen

  2. Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking of using
    god quality car paint (like Motip) and prepare them with a god
    cleaning before painting - but will it be enough

    If you pray for help, it should be.
    B

    (remove clothes to reply)

  3. O. Simonsen said:

    Hi all...

    I have a pair of slightly used Mavic Reflex rims that i wamt to use i
    the winter. They have a odd golden color and I would like to spray
    paint them dark grey/black. But will it last?? I'm thinking of using
    god quality car paint (like Motip) and prepare them with a god
    cleaning before painting - but will it be enough??

    Any advice??

    O. Simonsen

    you may have limited success, but generally, it's not considered viable.
    the anodizing does not present a surface to which the paint can
    reliably stick so even if you get it on there, it'll quickly chip &
    flake. trying to remove the anodizing involves abrasion, and an
    abrasive sufficiently aggressive to remove the anodizing will take with
    it significant amounts of substrate - i don't recommend it.

  4. [email hidden] (O. Simonsen) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all...

    I have a pair of slightly used Mavic Reflex rims that i wamt to use i
    the winter. They have a odd golden color and I would like to spray
    paint them dark grey/black. But will it last?? I'm thinking of using
    god quality car paint (like Motip) and prepare them with a god
    cleaning before painting - but will it be enough??

    Any paint on the braking surfaces will eventually wear off. But
    everywhere else, it'll be fine.

  5. (O. Simonsen) said:

    Hi all...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a pair of slightly used Mavic Reflex rims that i wamt to use i
    the winter. They have a odd golden color and I would like to spray
    paint them dark grey/black. But will it last?? I'm thinking of using
    god quality car paint (like Motip) and prepare them with a god
    cleaning before painting - but will it be enough??

    Quoted message said:

    Any advice??

    The best way to maintain the paint finish on a set of spray-painted
    rims is to remove the brake calipers. I recommend that you do this
    immediately in preparation for the respray.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  6. On 9 Nov 2004 02:08:25 -0800, [email hidden] (O. Simonsen)

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all...

    I have a pair of slightly used Mavic Reflex rims that i wamt to use i
    the winter. They have a odd golden color and I would like to spray
    paint them dark grey/black. But will it last?? I'm thinking of using
    god quality car paint (like Motip) and prepare them with a god
    cleaning before painting - but will it be enough??

    Unless you have disc brakes, don't try it. Paint and conventional
    brakes do not mix well. (And paint adheres to aluminum only under
    protest to begin with, so paint would probably not stay on the rim in
    any event, particularly given that those are almost certainly
    anodized.)
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  7. O.-

    I agree the painting won't work. If it's the 'odd golden color'
    you object to, it is possible to make them just plain old silver
    (i.e. bare AL) by removing the gold-colored anodizing with oven
    cleaner.

    K.

    O. Simonsen said:

    Hi all...

    I have a pair of slightly used Mavic Reflex rims that i wamt to use i
    the winter. They have a odd golden color and I would like to spray
    paint them dark grey/black. But will it last?? I'm thinking of using
    god quality car paint (like Motip) and prepare them with a god
    cleaning before painting - but will it be enough??

    Any advice??

    O. Simonsen

  8. Kirk Van Deraa said:

    O.-

    I agree the painting won't work. If it's the 'odd golden color'
    you object to, it is possible to make them just plain old silver
    (i.e. bare AL) by removing the gold-colored anodizing with oven
    cleaner.

    please don't do that. stressed aluminum & highly reactive chemicals
    like sodium hydroxide are not a good combination.

    Quoted message said:


    K.

    O. Simonsen said:

    Hi all...

    I have a pair of slightly used Mavic Reflex rims that i wamt to use i
    the winter. They have a odd golden color and I would like to spray
    paint them dark grey/black. But will it last?? I'm thinking of using
    god quality car paint (like Motip) and prepare them with a god
    cleaning before painting - but will it be enough??

    Any advice??

    O. Simonsen

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.