Panniers Bags

mits_stud

Mar 22, 2010
I have a road bike for my 16 mile commute to work, and carrying a backpack can be difficult especially when climbing the hills standing up. My backpack rolls side to side. Recently I have purchased a Rack and some panniers bags although my bicycle does not a way of attaching the rack on. I asked a bike shop if they could drill holes for a place to anchor the rack but they said you should never do that. I didn't get a reason why. Is it cause it will weaken the frame? What other methods could I use to attach this rack. And is putting a rack on a road bike a social fopaw. I use a road bike cause they are light weight, and more aerodynamic. And can handle the speeds that I get up to. I have tried to figure out a way to get rid of carrying any baggage on my commute. But I still have to carry one for a few reasons. So here is a question for all the roadies, Would it look bad if I were cruising along in my jersy on my road bike and had two bags hanging one each side of my rear wheels? Comments of any kind are appreciated, Thank you.:)

mits_stud said:
What other methods could I use to attach this rack. And is putting a rack on a road bike a social fopaw.
Use coated P-clamps to create mounting points on your seat stays ... the inner diameter of the P-clamps varies, so you need to measure your stays carefully ...
If your bike shop doesn't carry them, then find another shop ... or, use mail order.
I wouldn't worry about whether-or-not other bikers (or, non-bikers) think you have committed a faux pas ... if you need-or-want to use a rack & panniers, then that's your situation ...

As has been said with regard to other matters in life -- form follows function.

Check out the newest bicycle trailer on the market, Maya Cycle. It converts into a wheelbarrow, has a kickstand and comes with a bag! Check out the site and let me know what you think!! www.mayacycle.com. I use it daily, really I do, I've had the prototype for ages but now its available for everyone in the US. It's pretty dope. Happy Holidays!!