Quoted post said:Originally Posted by Volnix [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]
The load limits of the bike can be obtained from the manufacturer. For example some bikes are designed for 100kg of total weight and some state that passenger weight of 80kg + 25kg of luggage is the max. load of the design. Checking with the manufacturer would probably solve this.
The weight from the rack goes to the dropouts of the frame and some will go to the seatstays too. (When very loaded the panniers tend to tilt the bike a bit when turning...). They are also not that fast to remove and reinstall. Racks are also rarely used but they cant be easily removed.
A handlebar bag like this one would probably work just fine too without needing to install a rack:
[IMG]cyclingforums.com700Open ↗[/IMG]
I checked the manafactures website and road bike reviews but could not find the max weight [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/nonono2.gif[/IMG]. The handlebar bag seems like something I would use if I just wanted to bring a few small things but I would like to have the option of carrying clothes, shoes, etc like a pannier allows.
I noticed that you said racks are rarely used.. What do you mean by this? Do you mean for road bikes or ..?
Quoted post said:Originally Posted by vspa [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]
a solution to install the rack using two clamps, one to close the seatpost and another to clamp the rack on a road bike,
but you still need extra eyelets on the dropouts in the back, most roadbikes don't have it, there might the possibility of finding an adaptor to solve that one,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Could you give me a list and/or links (where I can buy them) of the parts I would need as I am new to this lol. I am not sure what an eyelet is either [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]. I looked it up on amazon but nothing comes up for bike parts. I am assuming my bike doesn't have eyelets on the back..? What is the adapter that I am looking for called?
Also, why is your bike in the bathtub lol. How do you bathe/shower?
Quoted post said:Originally Posted by dabac [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]
It's not a question of the bike or the rack breaking, it's a question of how the bike will feel/handle when you add some weight like that. And there's the question about how sensitive you are to changes like that. Some will shrug off just about anything, while others can be very, very sensitive.
And don't sneer at the zip ties. Apart from not being easily detachable, if you pick the right dimension they'll hold something like a pannier just as safe as anyone would wish for. And once you trim off the excess length, the fix won't be visible unless you're looking real close at the rack.
I am not a professional cyclist as you probably have noticed haha. I just got my first road bike (the s40 2011 edition) so I doubt I would be sensitive. For the zipties, I thought you were referring to mounting the rack with zip ties thats why I was uncertain. For the pannier, I don't see why it wouldn't hold up.
Quoted post said:Originally Posted by oldbobcat [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]
The S40 frame has a relatively rugged frame, compared to carbon or a more high performance aluminum like the low-number Speedsters or the high-number Cannondale CAADs. If you had bought a Trek 1 series bike, it would have had eyelets in the dropouts and rack mounting bosses on the seat stays, but no, you had to buy a Scott.
But hey, I think the Scott's cooler, but you'll have to be creative. Get a pair of P-clamps for the bottom of the seat stays and a monostay adapter (I think vspa has one of these on his FCR) for the seat tube just below the clamp. Your local shop should be able to order these from J&B or QBP, and show you how to mount the rack if you don't want to pay them to do it.
I recommend Bontrager Trunk racks. They are amazingly stiff and light, and easy to mount with tubular stays that are long enough to work with standard and compact frames of just about any size. Scott Speedster geometry is quite racy, with a short wheelbase, tight clearances, and nimble steering, so you will need to be wary of what a small load does to the handling, but this shouldn't be a deal-breaker.
I was able to find the monostay adapter on amazon but no P-clamps for bicycles as amazon has them for cars mostly.
I am a bit concerned about your last statement. What will it do to the handling? I get the vibe that me carrying around 15-25lbs will make me loose control and crash at even the slighest handlebar movement [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif[/IMG][IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif[/IMG]. In your opinion, is putting a pannier on this bike for 15-25lbs a waste because the bike is not meant for it? I COULD sell it (prefer not to!) but I liked this scott because it is a quick budget road bike that is fun to ride. I don't want to ruin the bike either.
I will look into the Bontrager Trunk racks. Is there certain dimmension or specs that I need for this to work or will any rack size/dimmensions do?