pants bibs cycling shorts...shelf life

JAPANic

Aug 11, 2003
These things aren't cheap if you buy the 'brand' ones...

Is there any way to increase the shelf life of your pants.
Mine tend to become translucent quite quickly. Especially around the rear end bum crack. Also between my pubic region...

I've got about 6 pairs of summer pants that are basically illegal to wear....sick of buying new ones.

If I wear underwear I get bad rub rashes or sores...however I've never used good quality inners...

Are cycling inners my answer?

I've had a few complaints from people drafting behind me within the last month...well they were actually laughing out loud....

Does your saddle have an "embroidered cover" (e.g., Selle Italia Pro Link)?

If so, consider changing to one with a smooth, "leather" cover.

Got a smooth hard Selle (leather) on my good bike and an embroided San Marco on my other bike.
Anyway, got a new pair of Pearl Izumi's today to get to work on. Wonder how long they will last...

JAPANic said:
Got a smooth hard Selle (leather) on my good bike and an embroided San Marco on my other bike.
Anyway, got a new pair of Pearl Izumi's today to get to work on. Wonder how long they will last...
FWIW. I would definitely consider subsituting the embroidered San Marco saddle with a saddle which has a smooth cover ...

Depending on the Selle (Italia?) saddle, I would consider changing that, too, because the pieced-together construction of the cover (on many of their saddles) creates slight ridges which means the saddles ISN'T truly smooth.

BTW. ANY saddle can be recovered if you are capable of doing handicrafts ... the expense (not counting your time) approaches the cost of an inexpensive saddle, so may not be worth the effort ... and, if you're not handy, then your options will be dictated by your wallet.

Had a long ride tonight and thought about it all while wearing in my new pants... all the wear happens away from the seat... so it's not a seat problem. Top of the thighs, the folds between the groin and high up the bum crack starting at the waist line going down about 10cm. Mostly wear it stretches a lot with the groin. Where my thighs/quads rub on the front... the bum crack though is a mystery...must stretch I suppose...

The new pearl Izumis feel good after my other summer pants...

Thanks for your tips...

JAPANic said:
Had a long ride tonight and thought about it all while wearing in my new pants... all the wear happens away from the seat... so it's not a seat problem. Top of the thighs, the folds between the groin and high up the bum crack starting at the waist line going down about 10cm. Mostly wear it stretches a lot with the groin. Where my thighs/quads rub on the front... the bum crack though is a mystery...must stretch I suppose...

The new pearl Izumis feel good after my other summer pants...

Thanks for your tips...
Are you washing your shorts after every ride? How do you wash them?

This seems like a lot of wear.

Wash after every ride. My wife may use bleach sometimes which could be the culprit... I'll interrogate her....

I've noticed that other guys in our team who train more are having similar problems. I don't think I train all that much though...

:rolleyes: