UK and Europe · Public discussion

Parents For Helmets

Started by John B · · Last activity · 494 posts · 9,450 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
21 March 2006
Last activity
6 June 2006
Original author
John B
Posts
494
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
9,450
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 494
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:

    When they are given the same tests as for motorcycle helmets, they
    may, just may survive a 20mph crash with protection to the rear of the
    skull and face.....

    How many people have survived head injuries wearing those useless
    `plastic` cycling helmets???.

    Just to clarify, are you meaning that the cycle helmets may just survive
    (i.e be of use) in a 20mph crash?

    At first I thought you meant cyclists are unlikely to survive a fall at
    20mph!

  2. Peter Keller said:
    Pyromancer said:

    Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Kristian
    Davies <[email hidden]!!.invalid> gently breathed:

    Quoted message said:


    > Got it in one.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I also remember a doctor friend of mine saying his colleagues referred to us
    cyclists as 'organ donors' or some such...

    Being a doctor doesn't make someone an expert on something outside their
    field of expertise. Would you trust a doctor who said "this bridge is
    safe" when a structural engineer had told you it was about to collapse?

    I totally agree!!
    Dr Peter Keller MB ChB, FANZCA who was vaguely in favour of helmets until
    he made the mistake of actually reading about them and informing himself!

    As a doctor myself, I've cycled without a helmet for the last nearly 70
    years (admittedly with a 20-year gap in the middle) and have no wish to
    be compelled to wear one now.

    As with all such things, the statistical evidence is equivocal, with
    many variables. There are some cases in which wearing a helmet would be
    beneficial, and others in which it might be the reverse. It should be up
    to the individual to make up his or her mind about where the balance
    lies.

    Anthony Campbell
    --
    Anthony Campbell - [email hidden]
    Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian
    http://www.acampbell.org.uk (blog, book reviews,
    on-line books and sceptical articles)

  3. Mark Thompson said:
    Quoted message said:

    Like the Police's Christmas drink-drive campaign. The proportion of
    those not involved in an accident who gave a positive sample was about
    the same as the proportion of those who tested positive after being
    involved in an accident. One might conclude that drink doesn't
    increase your chances of having an 'accident'.

    Have you got a reference for that?

    http://www.herts.police.uk/FOI/Significant_Information/11_jan_06_drink_drive_results.pdf

    --
    Matt B

  4. Tom Crispin said:


    I guess I'm feeling demonised because I'm one of those people who compel
    children to wear helemts.


    Tom, no-one here is demonising you.
    You are teaching children how to ride bikes - which is great.

    You and your school choose to provide helmets for the children.
    I don;t think there should be a problem.

    My two pence worth is that maybe you should consider sending out a form to
    each child, asking the parent to sign whether they want the child to use a
    helmet or not. Parent signs yes, you make sure the child uses a helmet.
    I don't think anyone in this group has an issue with parents providing, or
    chosing cycle helmets for children.

  5. davek said:


    I'm sure you would agree that making sure your bike is roadworthy is far
    more important than wearing a helmet, but clearly there are many parents
    who don't know the first thing about bike maintenance and are happy to
    send their kids out on death-traps. So why no campaign to educate parents
    so they understand the need for routine bike maintenance?

    I agree there. Having helped on a few "Dr Bikes" you see kids bikes in
    absolutely appaling states, usually the cheap end BMX types with those
    circulator units on the brakes, which enable the handlebars to spin round.
    They usually fall apart tout suite, and the bike is left without brakes.
    Yes, a campaign to raise parents awareness of their duties of care would
    be good. Also to make people aware that bike shops can fix things!
    (Except those useless cheapo BMXes which are made of cheese)

  6. John Hearns said:

    Tom, no-one here is demonising you.
    You are teaching children how to ride bikes - which is great.

    Oh yes, seconded, absolutely and unreservedly.

    Personally, I consider this type of training infinitely more beneficial
    than any helmet. If anything should be made compulsory, it is training.

    d.

  7. "Mark Thompson"
    <pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    When they are given the same tests as for motorcycle helmets, they
    may, just may survive a 20mph crash with protection to the rear of the
    skull and face.....

    How many people have survived head injuries wearing those useless
    `plastic` cycling helmets???.

    Just to clarify, are you meaning that the cycle helmets may just survive
    (i.e be of use) in a 20mph crash?

    Yes, if the same design as a motorcycle `crash helmet` and `safety tests`
    are applied to cycle helmets,
    that`s not say they will be fully protected as no-one is guaranteed to
    survive even tripping over the pavement !!!! but they will be `better`
    protected than the current design of `cycle` helmets give......

    Quoted message said:


    At first I thought you meant cyclists are unlikely to survive a fall at
    20mph!

    And then you re-read it ??

    Lee....

  8. Quoted message said:

    http://www.herts.police.uk/FOI/Significant_Information/11_jan_06_drink_
    drive_results.pdf

    Only for 2003/4 - for later years those caught drink-crashing is 5.8% and
    1.7%, while those caught drink driving is 11% and 10.8% Cripes!

    Presumably the lower rates for those in accidents is due to higher
    proportions being tested, whereas during the campaigns they only test if
    they have or appear to have been drinking? S'pose so anyway, or we'd have
    massive campaigns to get all drivers drunk at the wheel!

  9. On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 00:29:10 -0000, "Kristian Davies" <Post to
    Newsgroup!!> said in <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    When I was a teenager, I didn't want to wear one because it was un-cool.
    Now I wouldn't dream of not wearing one. Surely it's the minimum safety
    precaution to take whether effective or not.

    Especially when walking. Pedestrians have a higher proportion of head
    injuries than cyclists, and there are many times more of them.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  10. Tom Crispin twisted the electrons to say:

    Quoted message said:

    I also suspect that a jury would be more forgiving towards a teacher
    if there was a fault with a bike that an unhelmeted child.

    Quite possibly on the grounds that it's easy to see if a child is wearing
    a helmet or not (though harder to see if it's being worn properly I'll
    grant you), but bicycles are "machinery" and therefore "complicated"?
    --
    These opinions might not even be mine ...
    Let alone connected with my employer ...

  11. David Martin said:
    John B said:
    Ian Smith said:

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:22:07 +0000, John B <[email hidden]>
    wrote:
    >
    > It is interesting that Carlie Annetts is asking for examples of
    > cycling accidents, by e-mailing her at:
    > [email hidden]

    Actually, she seems to be asking about accidents parents have
    personal experience of while their children were not wearing
    helmets.

    Yes I miswrote my last post. In neither cases I quoted was my
    daughter wearing a helmet - and in neither case would one have
    helped.

    Quoted message said:

    I burnt my fingers in a coffee-roaster chamber earlier this week,
    and neither of my daughters was wearing a helmet at the time.

    I hope you've told her.

    How about accidents when not wearing a helmet leading to children?

    Accidents when not pinching your helmet leading to children?

    IGMC and go and stand in the smutty corner.
    --
    Ambrose

  12. Mark Thompson said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://www.herts.police.uk/FOI/Significant_Information/11_jan_06_drink_
    drive_results.pdf

    Only for 2003/4 - for later years those caught drink-crashing is 5.8%
    and
    1.7%, while those caught drink driving is 11% and 10.8% Cripes!

    Presumably the lower rates for those in accidents is due to higher
    proportions being tested, whereas during the campaigns they only test
    if they have or appear to have been drinking? S'pose so anyway, or
    we'd have massive campaigns to get all drivers drunk at the wheel!

    You'd be wanting a roadblock style breathalyser campaign, not a "stop
    suspicious people" one. I think the latter is what we use.

    I have seen the former in Dublin, where the police were happy to pass me
    with lighting that was well below legal standard. (I'd had to take a
    pragmatic point of view on it, being on a borrowed bike, and I had
    reflectives and was on very well lit wide roads.)
    --
    Ambrose

  13. Simon Bennett said:
    BigRab said:
    Quoted message said:

    I also remember a doctor friend of mine saying his colleagues
    referred to us cyclists as 'organ donors' or some such...

    Sorry, that usually refers to motorcyclists...... probably.

    I know whose organs I'd rather have!

    Mine are ready dosed with azathioprine (an anti rejection drug, among other
    uses). Does that make them better or worse?

    --
    Ambrose

  14. "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    IGMC and go and stand in the smutty corner.

    Does 'C' mean pbaqba?

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

  15. "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:
    Simon Bennett said:
    BigRab said:

    > I also remember a doctor friend of mine saying his colleagues
    > referred to us cyclists as 'organ donors' or some such...

    Sorry, that usually refers to motorcyclists...... probably.

    I know whose organs I'd rather have!

    Quoted message said:

    Mine are ready dosed with azathioprine (an anti rejection drug, among other
    uses). Does that make them better or worse?

    Probably ineligible. Can you give blood?

    Auto-immune diseases often prevent eligibility as a donor.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden]
    Edgware.

  16. Ambrose Nankivell said:
    Simon Bennett said:
    BigRab said:

    > I also remember a doctor friend of mine saying his colleagues
    > referred to us cyclists as 'organ donors' or some such...

    Sorry, that usually refers to motorcyclists...... probably.

    I know whose organs I'd rather have!

    Mine are ready dosed with azathioprine (an anti rejection drug, among
    other uses). Does that make them better or worse?

    Oh, I don't know. Does azathioprine have any good side-effects?

  17. Helen Deborah Vecht said:

    "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    IGMC and go and stand in the smutty corner.

    Does 'C' mean pbaqba?

    No, pbaqbz.

    (On another note, I've just found out how to make Bhgybbx Rkcerff decipher
    ROT13 again. (Alt+Shift+H, then Alt+M, 3))
    --
    Ambrose

  18. Helen Deborah Vecht said:

    "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:
    Simon Bennett said:

    BigRab wrote:

    >> I also remember a doctor friend of mine saying his colleagues
    >> referred to us cyclists as 'organ donors' or some such...
    >
    > Sorry, that usually refers to motorcyclists...... probably.

    I know whose organs I'd rather have!

    Quoted message said:

    Mine are ready dosed with azathioprine (an anti rejection drug,
    among other uses). Does that make them better or worse?

    Probably ineligible. Can you give blood?

    Almost certainly not.

    Quoted message said:

    Auto-immune diseases often prevent eligibility as a donor.

    I imagine that is the case. No need to keep cycling now, if I don't need my
    organs to be kept healthy for someone else 🙂
    --
    Ambrose

  19. On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:20:35 +0000 someone who may be Tom Crispin
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    I guess I'm feeling demonised because I'm one of those people who
    compel children to wear helemts.

    You are being challenged. if you have a good case then you can put
    it forward.

    Quoted message said:

    I simply want to highlight the case
    for compulsion in certain circumstances.

    You have yet to make any convincing case for such compulsion.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh
    I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54

  20. Simon Bennett said:
    BigRab said:
    Quoted message said:

    I also remember a doctor friend of mine saying his colleagues
    referred to us cyclists as 'organ donors' or some such...

    Sorry, that usually refers to motorcyclists...... probably.

    I know whose organs I'd rather have!

    I think motorcyclists usually make better organ donors as they often
    peg out with head and neck injuries. We OTOH are most commonly crushed
    by large vehicles, which may not be good for our internal organs.

    --
    Dave...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.