General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Parlysis of Analysis

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 13 posts · 633 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
9 February 2005
Last activity
25 February 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
633
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Has anyone on this user group actually "intelluctualized" themselves
    into swimming faster?

    In another words, with all the posts here on different ways of
    swimming, from loping, to different kick patterns, to lower lumbar
    arch, and all the wonderful videos now available online courtesty of
    people like Donald Graft, has anyone revised their stroke significantly
    and been able to swim much faster because of it? (And by significantly
    faster I would say at least 5 seconds per hundred better, and maybe
    even 10 seconds)

    Back when I started participating in this group 2.5 years ago and
    swimming avidly, I thought my decent engineering mind would help me
    solve this problem the best way for me. And I would be able to say
    something like, I don't kick much because my sprint swim to sprint kick
    ratio is greater than 1.5, but I do use a 4-beat because I have heavy
    legs and I've noticed that most/all two-beat kick elites seem to be
    razor thin. And I breath right instead of left because I'm right
    handed, so I give body assist to the non-dominant arm with more body
    roll by breathing.

    I can say all that but I'm not sure I believe it. I can swim with many
    styles, but the speed doesn't seem to change much. That of course may
    be due to not sticking with one style long enough to let it fully
    develop. But I also think that at the end of the day, we swim the same
    speed some irrespective of style because we're stuck with who we are.
    Each one of us has a certain form-factor in the water, which yields the
    same fundamental resistance. We also have the same strength, and limb
    size, and flexibility, regardless of how we choose to swim.

    So I'm little down on the intelluctualization of the whole process.
    It's been a hoot reading everything here and participating. But maybe
    we're fundamentally putting the cart before the horse. By studying
    swimming, we think maybe our brain can do a better job of solving how
    best to move through the water rather than our bodies being the focal
    point and giving feedback to our heads about what is working best.

    I'll give an example as an aside. Some of my best runs were achieved
    when I took off my stopwatch and didn't worry about pace. Instead,
    just stay in tune with your body, it will certainly tell you when you
    are at your limit for that day. It can be an exhilarating way to run
    as you forget about numbers.

    Sometimes I wish I could forget about loping, two beat cross-overs, my
    hand position at catch, and instead just let my body get up and down
    the pool as best it can. I'm pretty convinced I wouldn't be swimming
    any slower than I am now.

    To phrase the problem differently - how fast would Ian Thorpe be
    without his big, signature 6-beat kick. Not as quick as he is now, but
    still pretty darn fast. Also, did his coach measure his feet, have him
    point his toes, and then telling him to kick like crazy? I doubt it -
    he developed his style naturally, not by reading anything on this user
    group.

    Eric

  2. On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 15:08:19 -0500, rtk wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Occasionally I've tried doing the right thing and I've succeeded in
    improving my time and looking much better and smoother. And getting
    injured. I need to sink my hand soon, to take too many strokes, even
    flail, and my shoulder will be much happier, even I don't win the Smooth
    Stoke contest.

    I try some of the things, when I get to the pool, that are talked about
    here but then again I've always played with my strokes. I had too - in
    high school I was a sprinter 6' tall and 140lbs. There simply weren't that
    many guys that shape swimming fly @ > 2m/s and I certainly couldn't
    compete on strength or reach with any of the guys I did race.

    That being said these days I spend a lot of time coaching kids 10-12
    swimming the 50 @ ~45s. How do I explain/show/elucidate/impart what I
    felt? I find that much of the technical discussions here, for me at least,
    revolve less around ground breaking technique and are more useful as a
    groundwork for a kind of conceptual grammar for translating the
    kinesthetic into the verbal. It's hard to say it if you can't think it.

    --Mike

  3. In 200 breaststroke, I dropped a good six seconds in one season by
    applying the TI short axis tips. I also dropped a few seconds in the
    200 free that season.

  4. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Has anyone on this user group actually "intelluctualized" themselves
    into swimming faster?

    [respectful snip]

    Quoted message said:

    Eric

    i think you touch on a good point here, especially in the world that i live
    in (senior age group swimming). coaches i've been around, talked with and
    listened to, usually treat strokes like the text book pattern works best for
    everyone. i've had coaches look at a couple of swimmers i've had and still
    have and say "man, can't you fix that stroke? they'd be even faster if you
    did X and Y" usually i just bite my tongue and agree (and sometimes blame it
    on an obstinate kid!), but usually i've already tried correcting the fault.

    the point is, and Ruth makes it well, is that after a certain amount of
    instruction, there's a reason some strokes look out of whack compared to the
    stock technique recommendations, and thats because a persons body usually
    finds the most efficient manner in which to do something without having too
    much thought put into it. when a coach does bully a swimmer into making a
    change, i've often found in these situations it ends up being a change for
    the worse. Bottom line for me as a coach is "if it ain't broke, and won't
    lead to a broken shoulder, don't mess with it"

    i've found huge advantages in getting swimmers *not* to over-think
    technique, and *not* over-thinking race plans. Being able to execute without
    thought is, after all, the highest level of motor learning.

    i often think that some coaches (and some of the population within groups
    like this) find technique something very easy to be an expert upon. all you
    need is a stock comparison such as a book or some video footage and you're
    set to expound their favourite topic of discussion. for many coaches, its
    the one sure anchor they think they have as an area of expertise, which can
    be mildly irritating sometimes. the hallmark of this group as armchair
    experts is the disparity between the lack of training discussion that goes
    on versus the depth of thought that goes into the technical discussions.

    anyway i think i dragged this off topic.

    steve

  5. Quoted message said:

    Has anyone on this user group actually "intelluctualized" themselves
    into swimming faster?

    In another words, with all the posts here on different ways of
    swimming, from loping, to different kick patterns, to lower lumbar
    arch, and all the wonderful videos now available online courtesty of
    people like Donald Graft, has anyone revised their stroke


    significantly

    Quoted message said:

    and been able to swim much faster because of it? (And by


    significantly

    Quoted message said:

    faster I would say at least 5 seconds per hundred better, and maybe
    even 10 seconds)

    Back when I started participating in this group 2.5 years ago and
    swimming avidly, I thought my decent engineering mind would help me
    solve this problem the best way for me. And I would be able to say
    something like, I don't kick much because my sprint swim to sprint


    kick

    Quoted message said:

    ratio is greater than 1.5, but I do use a 4-beat because I have heavy
    legs and I've noticed that most/all two-beat kick elites seem to be
    razor thin. And I breath right instead of left because I'm right
    handed, so I give body assist to the non-dominant arm with more body
    roll by breathing.

    I can say all that but I'm not sure I believe it. I can swim with


    many

    Quoted message said:

    styles, but the speed doesn't seem to change much. That of course


    may

    Quoted message said:

    be due to not sticking with one style long enough to let it fully
    develop. But I also think that at the end of the day, we swim the


    same

    Quoted message said:

    speed some irrespective of style because we're stuck with who we are.
    Each one of us has a certain form-factor in the water, which yields


    the

    Quoted message said:

    same fundamental resistance. We also have the same strength, and


    limb

    Quoted message said:

    size, and flexibility, regardless of how we choose to swim.

    So I'm little down on the intelluctualization of the whole process.
    It's been a hoot reading everything here and participating. But


    maybe

    Quoted message said:

    we're fundamentally putting the cart before the horse. By studying
    swimming, we think maybe our brain can do a better job of solving how
    best to move through the water rather than our bodies being the focal
    point and giving feedback to our heads about what is working best.

    I'll give an example as an aside. Some of my best runs were achieved
    when I took off my stopwatch and didn't worry about pace. Instead,
    just stay in tune with your body, it will certainly tell you when you
    are at your limit for that day. It can be an exhilarating way to run
    as you forget about numbers.

    Sometimes I wish I could forget about loping, two beat cross-overs,


    my

    Quoted message said:

    hand position at catch, and instead just let my body get up and down
    the pool as best it can. I'm pretty convinced I wouldn't be swimming
    any slower than I am now.

    To phrase the problem differently - how fast would Ian Thorpe be
    without his big, signature 6-beat kick. Not as quick as he is now,


    but

    Quoted message said:

    still pretty darn fast. Also, did his coach measure his feet, have


    him

    Quoted message said:

    point his toes, and then telling him to kick like crazy? I doubt it


    -

    Quoted message said:

    he developed his style naturally, not by reading anything on this


    user

    Quoted message said:

    group.

    Eric

    It may be almost 9am, but it's very grey outside. Everything is wet
    including a large black cat that, being absolutely drenched, has just
    come in and hopped right up on my lap. I had to back way off from the
    computer.
    I'm sure you can all quite easily visualise the above scene. I
    haven't conveyed it purely through the use of grammatical terms.
    Without attempting to translate the above bit by bit,nor any part, it
    would be like reading something that goes something like this; noun
    preposition, adjective present tense noun past participle verb....
    Most of the time when I encounter what I call swim-speak (the kind of
    technical terms necessary to convey technicalities of swimming), what I
    experience is not unlike what most people would experience if someone
    spoke to them in purely grammatical terms.
    Even when I think I've understood it, I find that I mustn't have
    due to how it doesn't quite fit with my form.
    There are phrases the meaning of which we all understand if we've
    grown up with them, but if we were to nitpick each bit of such a
    phrase, it would seem to be nonsense. I think that's what you're
    getting at. Is it?
    However, some thinking about our swimming is quite beneficial.
    Some people walk with a stoop. They find nothing wrong in their sense
    of walking. They've grown into it, or an accident brought it about in
    ways they've not noticed.
    It feels natural to them. For them it is natural.
    They might not walk a whole lot faster without the stoop and yet their
    walk would be much improved, both in their appearance..
    I have a feeling that's not what you were getting at, but I think
    it's worth the mention.

  6. Once an athlete reaches a level of proficiency, improvements are minor
    and hardly detectable. Many newbies have reported improvements from the
    advised provided in this group and have thanked us profusely for the
    advise. For those who are already swimming at some proficient level, we
    may notice slight improvements, either in speed, relaxation, etc.

    For me, one thing is that it has made swimming a lot more fun. Swimming
    laps alone can get tedious sometimes. Adding a lope, a kick where I
    purposely brake the surface, a longer glide, doing the kayak vs front
    quadrant,etc can make a few lengths go a lot faster.

    I, for example, like to swim w/o stopping. So, I may do 5 laps loping,
    five laps focusing of a long glide, five laps focusing on a deep two
    beat kick, etc. So, while I may end up swimming the same 2000 to 3000
    thousand yards that I used to swim in freestyle, I end up swimming them
    in what feels like several different strokes. I work different muscles
    and don't seem to get as tired. Because of this, it is easier for me
    to swim more regularly and want to go swimming instead of thinking "oh
    no, not again!" So, when larry posts 'bicep swimming instead of tricep
    swimming", I am excited to go try it. I have also found that some
    things don't work for me, such as the bicep swimming. On the other
    hand, the propulsive kicking works for sprints and the loping works for
    triathlons.

    Andres

  7. Mike Edey wrote:

    SNIP

    I find that much of the technical discussions here, for me at least,

    Quoted message said:

    revolve less around ground breaking technique and are more useful as a
    groundwork for a kind of conceptual grammar for translating the
    kinesthetic into the verbal. It's hard to say it if you can't think it.

    --Mike


    As someone who couldn't learn to swim until floating was explained to
    me, I salute you. I don't think I believed in floating (perhaps due to
    my drowning experience).
    Madelaine

  8. Quoted message said:

    Once an athlete reaches a level of proficiency, improvements are minor
    and hardly detectable. Many newbies have reported improvements from the
    advised provided in this group and have thanked us profusely for the
    advise. For those who are already swimming at some proficient level, we
    may notice slight improvements, either in speed, relaxation, etc.

    For me, one thing is that it has made swimming a lot more fun. Swimming
    laps alone can get tedious sometimes. Adding a lope, a kick where I
    purposely brake the surface, a longer glide, doing the kayak vs front
    quadrant,etc can make a few lengths go a lot faster.

    I, for example, like to swim w/o stopping. So, I may do 5 laps loping,
    five laps focusing of a long glide, five laps focusing on a deep two
    beat kick, etc. So, while I may end up swimming the same 2000 to 3000
    thousand yards that I used to swim in freestyle, I end up swimming them
    in what feels like several different strokes. I work different muscles
    and don't seem to get as tired. Because of this, it is easier for me
    to swim more regularly and want to go swimming instead of thinking "oh
    no, not again!" So, when larry posts 'bicep swimming instead of tricep
    swimming", I am excited to go try it. I have also found that some
    things don't work for me, such as the bicep swimming. On the other
    hand, the propulsive kicking works for sprints and the loping works for
    triathlons.

    Andres


    I was helped by "permission to lope." I have found that most TI
    technicques do not work well for my body. Biceps swimming is fine, but
    I really want to work my triceps despite the fact that it is too late
    for the elite swimmer triceps development. Looking better in a tank top
    is a worthy goal for some of us...
    Madelaine

  9. "diablo" <[email hidden]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    [email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    the hallmark of this group as armchair
    experts is the disparity between the lack of training discussion that goes
    on versus the depth of thought that goes into the technical discussions.

    In my experience, variations in speed is much more training than technique
    dependent, once you have achieved a good level of technical proficiency.

    For example, I know that I am 7 or 8s faster per 100m if I swim 3 times a
    week instead of 1 (cruising at 1:25 instead of 1:32 in a 10 x 100m set, for
    example - feeling more powerfull in water, with a higher distance per
    cycle).

    This leads to some interesting calculation and trade off. I have time to
    train only 4 times a week for triathlon (I have a life. And a wife. And
    children. And a job. And rss to read...). If I swim 1 time a week, I will
    lose around 1:45 on my best "possible" 1500m, but if I can bike 2 times per
    week (instead of 1), I will be 5 minutes faster on a 40km ride, so I'm
    better off with 1 swim, 1 run and 2 bike rides a week. If I become a better
    biker, it may become advantageous to run more.

    Happily enough, I sometimes get a knee (fascia lata) or achille tendinotis,
    which forces me come back to my favorite sport, swimming again 3 times per
    week, feeling again power in the water, and beating the pace clock.

    -- Olivier

  10. Silver0l said:

    "diablo" <[email hidden]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    [email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    the hallmark of this group as armchair
    experts is the disparity between the lack of training discussion


    that goes

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    on versus the depth of thought that goes into the technical


    discussions.

    Quoted message said:


    In my experience, variations in speed is much more training than


    technique

    Quoted message said:

    dependent, once you have achieved a good level of technical


    proficiency.

    I had a similar thought. It makes very little sense to talk about
    technique with the level of fitness that I usually possess. And I dare
    say this may also apply to most participants in this group, although I
    could be wrong.

    I had a six week period of training awhile back where I swam 5 days a
    week, 75 minutes a workout. Freestyle Monday, Wednesday, Friday,
    stroke on Tuesday, Thursday. And I'm telling you, at the end of that
    period of training, swimming was a whole different ballgame. I was
    strong and supple in the water in a way I had never been before,
    ripping past people that used to spank me. And I could play around
    with technique at will - swim a little more catch-up if I wanted,
    change the kick around a bit, experiment here and then with some
    different stuff, and "It was all good!" as they say. Then reality hit
    of course - work, or sickness or something. And then the usual twice a
    week here, once a week there, three times a week. Back to feeling like
    I'm paddling a barge through the water with a popsicle stick.

    So the point is thinking a great deal about what particular technique
    may work best for yourself is probably not the way to go when you don't
    have a lot of fitness.

    Eric

  11. If your technique is uniformly excellent, your results will only vary
    with your level of fitness;

    If your fitness is uniformly excellent, your results will only vary
    with your level of technique.

    But since both my technique and fitness could stand improvement, I find
    the above situations hardly worth mentioning.

  12. "Man o' Tea" <[email hidden]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    [email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If your technique is uniformly excellent, your results will only vary
    with your level of fitness;

    If your fitness is uniformly excellent, your results will only vary
    with your level of technique.

    But since both my technique and fitness could stand improvement, I find
    the above situations hardly worth mentioning.

    Well, I wanted to go a bit beyond our usual fitness vs. technique debate.

    What I mentionned what that training not only increased my fitness level,
    but also my technique. If I swim 3 times a week instead of 1, not only will
    I swim much faster, but my Distance Per Cycle will largely increase, and my
    feeling for water will be much better. A better condition seems to largely
    increase my technique (swim efficiency), which is an advantage most people
    don't expect.

    So it's not a "fitness vs. technique", but "if fitness, then technique"
    thing.

    -- Olivier

  13. Thanks for all of the info in this group. It is interesting and
    helpful.

    Sorry for addressing a somewhat-stale thread but I just got here.

    Quoted message said:

    Has anyone on this user group actually "intelluctualized"
    themselves into swimming faster?

    Yes.
    However...

    -You need to be strong enough in order to be able to judge whether a
    new technique or tweak will be a benefit.

    To get ready for competitions after a 19 yr break, I balanced between
    focusing soley on physical training and adding intellectual "training".
    It took me 8 months to go from failing to swim 200 yds straight to 3
    USMS top 25 times in 2004 in my age group. I could not have done this
    by just physical training. Current training load: 12-20k/week of
    varied, focused swimming with a masters team.

    -You can't think INSTEAD of train.

    For me the ideal ratio, training to thinking, is 20 training hrs to 1
    'intellectualizing' which doesn't include the
    micro-visualization-swimming that I do while at traffic lights or at
    boring meetings. If I add in the viz time, unfortuately the ratio would
    change to 1:1 due to my traffic/meeting load.

    The bottom line--can you overthink it? Yeah--

    If you don't allow enough time for having your muscles get to a point
    where you can adequately test whether new technique or tweak work for
    you.

    -krolek

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.