Partial Recovery

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Phil Holman, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. Phil Holman

    Phil Holman Guest

    I posted here a few months back after I had been diagnosed with bicuspid
    aortic valve and chronotropic incompetence.
    The CI was causing the biggest problem with my cycle racing as it
    reduced my aerobic power output to 80%. After weeks of poking, prodding
    and scanning, my cardiologist suspected a form of carditis. Over the
    past month or so I have seen a slow recovery to about 90% of my prior
    fitness and an increase in my heart rate while working out. I'm
    obviously delighted as there was a real possibility of no recovery.
    Anyone know of any other anecdotal incidences like this.

    Phil Holman

    Tags:

  2. Phil Holman wrote:

    > I posted here a few months back after I had been diagnosed with bicuspid
    > aortic valve and chronotropic incompetence.
    > The CI was causing the biggest problem with my cycle racing as it
    > reduced my aerobic power output to 80%. After weeks of poking, prodding
    > and scanning, my cardiologist suspected a form of carditis. Over the
    > past month or so I have seen a slow recovery to about 90% of my prior
    > fitness and an increase in my heart rate while working out. I'm
    > obviously delighted as there was a real possibility of no recovery.
    > Anyone know of any other anecdotal incidences like this.
    >
    > Phil Holman

    There should be a concern that what you have been experiencing are the early
    manifestations of decompensating valvular heart disease.

    What is your functional aortic valve area? What are the peak and mean
    pressure gradients across your aortic valve?

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

  3. Phil Holman

    Phil Holman Guest

    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Phil Holman wrote:
    >
    > > I posted here a few months back after I had been diagnosed with

    bicuspid
    > > aortic valve and chronotropic incompetence.
    > > The CI was causing the biggest problem with my cycle racing as it
    > > reduced my aerobic power output to 80%. After weeks of poking,

    prodding
    > > and scanning, my cardiologist suspected a form of carditis. Over the
    > > past month or so I have seen a slow recovery to about 90% of my

    prior
    > > fitness and an increase in my heart rate while working out. I'm
    > > obviously delighted as there was a real possibility of no recovery.
    > > Anyone know of any other anecdotal incidences like this.
    > >
    > > Phil Holman

    > There should be a concern that what you have been experiencing are the

    early
    > manifestations of decompensating valvular heart disease.
    >
    > What is your functional aortic valve area? What are the peak and mean
    > pressure gradients across your aortic valve?

    5mm delta p across the valve. I didn't see any numbers on valve area but
    the flow rate was ~2m/s.
    Cardiologist was less concerned about immediate problems with the valve.
    Is there a correlation between valve disease and HR. I've not seen this
    mentioned anywhere.

    Phil Holman

  4. Phil Holman wrote:

    > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Phil Holman wrote:
    > >
    > > > I posted here a few months back after I had been diagnosed with

    > bicuspid
    > > > aortic valve and chronotropic incompetence.
    > > > The CI was causing the biggest problem with my cycle racing as it
    > > > reduced my aerobic power output to 80%. After weeks of poking,

    > prodding
    > > > and scanning, my cardiologist suspected a form of carditis. Over the
    > > > past month or so I have seen a slow recovery to about 90% of my

    > prior
    > > > fitness and an increase in my heart rate while working out. I'm
    > > > obviously delighted as there was a real possibility of no recovery.
    > > > Anyone know of any other anecdotal incidences like this.
    > > >
    > > > Phil Holman

    > > There should be a concern that what you have been experiencing are the

    > early
    > > manifestations of decompensating valvular heart disease.
    > >
    > > What is your functional aortic valve area? What are the peak and mean
    > > pressure gradients across your aortic valve?

    > 5mm delta p across the valve. I didn't see any numbers on valve area but
    > the flow rate was ~2m/s.
    > Cardiologist was less concerned about immediate problems with the valve.
    > Is there a correlation between valve disease and HR.

    Yes.

    > I've not seen this
    > mentioned anywhere.
    >
    > Phil Holman

    I'll see if I can dig up a ref for you.

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

  5. Phil Holman

    Phil Holman Guest

    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > There should be a concern that what you have been experiencing are

    the early manifestations of decompensating valvular heart disease.
    > > > What is your functional aortic valve area? What are the peak and

    mean pressure gradients across your aortic valve?

    > > 5mm delta p across the valve. I didn't see any numbers on valve area

    but the flow rate was ~2m/s.
    > > Cardiologist was less concerned about immediate problems with the

    valve. Is there a correlation between valve disease and HR.

    > Yes.
    >
    > > I've not seen this
    > > mentioned anywhere.
    > >
    > > Phil Holman

    > I'll see if I can dig up a ref for you.

    I'd appreciate that. I've searched pubmed but the data that comes up is
    not really applicable (I assume).
    It appears to be for people that have suffered an MI and now cannot
    increase their HR to 85% of an age predicted max.
    Not that I'm in denial but I have a hard time relating my immediate
    problem with my valve. My valve will not any get better which does
    not explain an increase in sustainable HR from a previous 128 to 147
    currently. What has been *normal* for me is anything in the 150s.

    Phil Holman

  6. Phil Holman wrote:

    > the early manifestations of decompensating valvular heart disease.

    > mean pressure gradients across your aortic valve?
    > > >
    > > > 5mm delta p across the valve. I didn't see any numbers on valve area

    > but the flow rate was ~2m/s.
    > > > Cardiologist was less concerned about immediate problems with the

    > valve. Is there a correlation between valve disease and HR.
    > >
    > > Yes.
    > >
    > > > I've not seen this
    > > > mentioned anywhere.
    > > >
    > > > Phil Holman

    > > I'll see if I can dig up a ref for you.

    > I'd appreciate that. I've searched pubmed but the data that comes up is
    > not really applicable (I assume).
    > It appears to be for people that have suffered an MI and now cannot
    > increase their HR to 85% of an age predicted max.
    > Not that I'm in denial but I have a hard time relating my immediate
    > problem with my valve. My valve will not any get better which does
    > not explain an increase in sustainable HR from a previous 128 to 147
    > currently. What has been *normal* for me is anything in the 150s.
    >
    > Phil Holman

    The heart rate effects of your aortic stenosis may be transient.

    Here's a ref describing an extreme case:

    http://tinyurl.com/o062

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

  7. Phil Holman

    Phil Holman Guest

    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > Phil Holman wrote:
    >
    > > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in

    message

    are
    > > the early manifestations of decompensating valvular heart disease.

    and
    > > mean pressure gradients across your aortic valve?

    area
    > > but the flow rate was ~2m/s.

    the
    > > valve. Is there a correlation between valve disease and HR.
    > > >
    > > > Yes.

    > > > I'll see if I can dig up a ref for you.

    > > I'd appreciate that. I've searched pubmed but the data that comes up

    is
    > > not really applicable (I assume).
    > > It appears to be for people that have suffered an MI and now cannot
    > > increase their HR to 85% of an age predicted max.
    > > Not that I'm in denial but I have a hard time relating my immediate
    > > problem with my valve. My valve will not any get better which does
    > > not explain an increase in sustainable HR from a previous 128 to 147
    > > currently. What has been *normal* for me is anything in the 150s.
    > >
    > > Phil Holman

    > The heart rate effects of your aortic stenosis may be transient.
    >
    > Here's a ref describing an extreme case:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/o062

    Thanks Dr Chung. The related articles were also very informative.

    Phil Holman

  8. Phil Holman wrote:

    > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    > > Phil Holman wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in

    > message

    > are
    > > > the early manifestations of decompensating valvular heart disease.

    > and
    > > > mean pressure gradients across your aortic valve?

    > area
    > > > but the flow rate was ~2m/s.

    > the
    > > > valve. Is there a correlation between valve disease and HR.

    > > > I'd appreciate that. I've searched pubmed but the data that comes up

    > is
    > > > not really applicable (I assume).
    > > > It appears to be for people that have suffered an MI and now cannot
    > > > increase their HR to 85% of an age predicted max.
    > > > Not that I'm in denial but I have a hard time relating my immediate
    > > > problem with my valve. My valve will not any get better which does
    > > > not explain an increase in sustainable HR from a previous 128 to 147
    > > > currently. What has been *normal* for me is anything in the 150s.
    > > >
    > > > Phil Holman

    > > The heart rate effects of your aortic stenosis may be transient.
    > >
    > > Here's a ref describing an extreme case:
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/o062

    > Thanks Dr Chung. The related articles were also very informative.
    >
    > Phil Holman

    Glad to help :)