Pasta as after race/training meal??

BlueJersey said:
I used to but haven't done so for the past months. Not sure why. :D
Mmmmm. Good stuff. :) I like yogurt with lots of Grape Nuts, too.

Last winter, when I was pounding L4 and my ATL was through the roof, I was really good about proper nutrition and rest. This year, with more SST and less 'hard stuff', I haven't really worried about it as much. I need to pick those good habits back up now as I start piling on the heavier loads.

Pasta generally has a low to medium GI and is excellent as a training meal, however post race or workout meals generally need to be a higher GI to assist with a faster replenishment of your muscle glycogen stores so I would go with something like Jasmine Rice (GI of 109) which is absorbed faster than glucose.

It's absolutely excellent before and after riding hard, but I've found that not eating anything 4-5 hrs prior to hard exercise seems to give the best results. Unfortunately I haven't been so good with nutrition lately, but sometimes I get a few platefuls of macaroni in.

-bikeguy

After long, hard rides I sometimes can't stomach solid food, so I like to drink chocolate milk. Actually, I prefer strawberry, but it has the same macronutrient composition. It's calorically dense without too much fat and just the right amount of protein...plus it's tasty!

There's even evidence that it's better than so-called "recovery" drinks!
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16676705

*Although it was a small study (n=9) and sponsored by the Dairy and Nutrition Council...but hey, any excuse to drink it works for me! I usually stay away from sugary things except for the 2-hour window after a solid workout. :)