Pasta sauces

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Daisy, Apr 22, 2004.

  1. Daisy

    Daisy Guest

    I am very partial to creamy pasta sauces, and would like a
    recipe please that uses cream and/or sour cream.

    I have one that is part of a seafood pasta dish - and this
    is quite a rich sauce that uses butter, white wine, garlic
    and cream!

    It is really lovely, but I would like other variations if
    someone is experienced with this type of sauce. I would like
    to use the sauce with penne and/or fusili pasta rather than
    spaghetti or linguini.

    Thanks.

    Daisy

    Tags:

  2. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    Daisy wrote:
    > I am very partial to creamy pasta sauces, and would like a
    > recipe please that uses cream and/or sour cream.

    Fettucine with Cream Sauce

    1 serving fettucine
    1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
    2/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese 1 tsp salt 1 tsp black
    pepper 1 tsp nutmeg 1 tsp finely chopped basil leaves
    (optional) 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)

    3. Pour the whipping cream into a saute pan on medium heat.
    Do not stir or shake it. When it forms a skin on top, it
    is ready to add the other ingredients.

    4. Add the cheese and spices. Stir or flip it until the
    cheese melts. Add the fettucine.

    5. Continue flipping the pan until the cream mixture
    thickens and does not flow down when you tilt the pan.
    Move it to a plate and serve.

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    [email protected]

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    Daisy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I am very partial to creamy pasta sauces, and would like a
    > recipe please that uses cream and/or sour cream.
    >
    > I have one that is part of a seafood pasta dish - and this
    > is quite a rich sauce that uses butter, white wine, garlic
    > and cream!
    >
    > It is really lovely, but I would like other variations if
    > someone is experienced with this type of sauce. I would
    > like to use the sauce with penne and/or fusili pasta
    > rather than spaghetti or linguini.

    Here's our reconstruction of a sauce Friend Wife and the
    Dotty Daughter had on the East Coast.

    For a nice dinner, put a serving of spaghetti in a bowl,
    cover with the sauce, and place a piece or two of breaded
    and fried veal on top, with another dollop of the sauce on
    top of that. Chicken breast works, too. In fact, that's the
    only way we serve this particular sauce.

    Creamy Tomato Sauce

    2 tablespoons olive oil 2 cloves garlic minced 2 shallots
    very fine dice 1 28 oz. can italian tomatoes chopped
    1/2 cup whipping cream salt and pepper to taste
    2/4 tsp dried thyme

    Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat until hot; add garlic
    and shallots. Cook 5 minutes, whisking constantly.

    Add juice from tomatoes; simmer until somewhat reduced,
    stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, and simmer a further
    15-20 minutes, until reduced and no longer tart. Pour into
    tall narrow container, and puree until smooth, using stick
    blender. Stir in whipping cream; simmer, stirring
    constantly, until slightly thickened.

  4. Expatnl

    Expatnl Guest

    have you tried using frozen cubes of spinach? i make it from time to time
    either with diced turkey or prawns
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/124209538/124210907RtfInA
    for sour cream i use A LOT of garlic and minced coriander [actually this
    comes from a little mexican cook book i used to own]. i like eating this
    one with baguette, but pasta is also nice. [just had it last night :]

  5. Spoons

    Spoons Guest

    Hoi Daisy,

    A very simply but delicious sauce that I make is pesto
    with cream.

    In a large fry pan heat up cream and as much pesto as you
    like 2 -3 Tablespoons once it get warm add cooked pasta &
    mix well then top it of with grated parmesan cheese.

    Take care, SPOONS My photo food log
    http://www.fotolog.net/giggles

  6. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Daisy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am very partial to creamy pasta sauces, and would like a
    > recipe please that uses cream and/or sour cream.
    >
    > I have one that is part of a seafood pasta dish - and this
    > is quite a rich sauce that uses butter, white wine, garlic
    > and cream!
    >
    > It is really lovely, but I would like other variations if
    > someone is experienced with this type of sauce. I would
    > like to use the sauce with penne and/or fusili pasta
    > rather than spaghetti or linguini.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Daisy

    ANGEL HAIR PASTA AND SHRIMP 2 tbsp. butter 2 tbsp.
    vegetable oil 12 oz. med. size shrimp (peeled and deveined)
    2 lg. cloves of garlic (crushed) Half of a 16 oz. pkg.
    vermicelli pasta
    3/4 c. heavy cream
    4/2 c. dry white wine 1 c. frozen peas, thawed
    5/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
    6/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
    7/2 tsp. dried basil leaves
    8/2 tsp. crushed hot red pepper

    In a deep 4 quart saucepan over high heat, bring 2 quarts
    of water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a deep 12 inch skillet
    over medium high heat, heat butter and oil, add shrimp and
    garlic; cook for about 6 minutes. Stirring frequently until
    shrimp are just pink. Using a slotted spoon, remove shrimp
    and place in a bowl. Add vermicelli to boiling water; cook
    about 5 minutes, stirring frequently until tender.
    Meanwhile, add cream to the skillet along with wine, peas,
    parsley, 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, basil, and crushed
    red pepper; bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce
    heat to low; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until
    flavors are blended. Drain pasta; add to mixture in skillet
    along with cooked shrimp; stir until well mixed and heated.
    Serve immediately,

    Note I don't like parmesan cheese on seafood. ergo -
    optional

    Next

    1 lb. fettuccine 8 oz. fresh baby shrimp 1 c. whipping cream
    9/2 c. Parmesan cheese, coarsely grated 4 tsp. Parmesan
    cheese 1 tbsp. butter
    10/4 c. dry white wine Salt and black pepper to taste 2 tsp.
    fresh parsley, finely chopped

    Cook al dente 3-5 minutes for fresh pasta, 5-7 minutes for
    packaged fettuccine.SAUCE:

    Gently sauté shrimp in butter in a large skillet on medium
    heat for 1- 2 minutes. Add wine to shrimp and simmer on
    medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add cream to shrimp and wine
    and cook on medium heat until cream begins to bubble.
    Season with salt and pepper. Add fettuccine to shrimp,
    wine and cream. Toss and heat. Gradually add Parmesan
    cheese to fettuccine. Toss together and heat thoroughly
    until cheese has melted. Put fettuccine into a warm
    serving bowl or on warm plate. Sprinkle with Parmesan
    cheese and parsley and serve.

    Dimitri

  7. "Daisy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am very partial to creamy pasta sauces, and would like a
    > recipe please that uses cream and/or sour cream.
    >
    > I have one that is part of a seafood pasta dish - and this
    > is quite a rich sauce that uses butter, white wine, garlic
    > and cream!
    >
    > It is really lovely, but I would like other variations if
    > someone is experienced with this type of sauce. I would
    > like to use the sauce with penne and/or fusili pasta
    > rather than spaghetti or linguini.

    Here's an unusual olive dish but quite tasty.

    Fried olives and pasta with cream

    1 can gourmet olives garlic cloves to taste olive oil 1 cup
    cream freshly grated black pepper

    Remove pits from olives and chop coarsely. Steep in olive
    oil to cover for 2 days at room temperature. Pour a little
    olive oil into a skillet and sauté crushed and chopped
    garlic cloves. Add olives and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add
    cream and bring to simmer. Serve over pasta and top with
    freshly grated black pepper

    Paul

  8. Alexbrown77

    Alexbrown77 Guest

    saute some garlic in oil and add one onion chopped and cook
    until translucent. Pour 1/3c vodika and cook until it is
    half of the liquid it started to be. Pour one can of peeled
    tomatos (the large one) on top and cook until they break
    down. Pour over cooked pasta and mix. Pour 1 pint of heavy
    cream over the noodles..mix and serve...

  9. Glenn Jacobs

    Glenn Jacobs Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:33:38 +1200, Daisy wrote:
    > I am very partial to creamy pasta sauces, and would like a
    > recipe please that uses cream and/or sour cream.
    >
    > I have one that is part of a seafood pasta dish - and this
    > is quite a rich sauce that uses butter, white wine, garlic
    > and cream!
    >
    > It is really lovely, but I would like other variations if
    > someone is experienced with this type of sauce. I would
    > like to use the sauce with penne and/or fusili pasta
    > rather than spaghetti or linguini.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Daisy

    This works well by itself over Fettuccini, or you can sauté
    a few shrimp and mix with the Fettuccini and put the sauce
    over the top. There are almost endless variations by
    changing the spices slightly. For an Alfredo Variation leave
    the fennel out and add a couple of tablespoons of Freshly
    grated Parmesan, or a little grated fresh ginger with pork
    or chicken. You can add a tablespoon or two of tomato paste
    for a creamy tomato sauce. I have even warmed the leftover
    sauce in the morning, and added a little lemon juice for an
    ersatz Hollandaise to put over eggs.

    Sauté in butter about a teaspoon of finally minced onion and
    half a teaspoon of finally minced garlic 30 to 60 seconds or
    until the onion is translucent. Add 1/2 to a full cup of
    heavy cream. Add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed fennel seeds Add 1
    teaspoon of fresh parsley Salt and pepper to taste Boil down
    rapidly stirring from time to time until it is the desired
    thickness approx 5 minutes

    JakeInHartsel

    Sauté in butter about a teaspoon of finally minced onion and
    half a teaspoon of finally minced garlic 30 to 60 seconds or
    until onion is translucent. Add 1/2 to a full cup of heavy
    cream. Add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed fennel seeds Add 1
    teaspoon of fresh parsley Salt and pepper to taste Boil down
    rapidly stirring from time to time until it is the desired
    thickness approx 5 minutes.

    JakeInHartsel

  10. Daisy

    Daisy Guest

    This is almost exactly what I was looking for - a simple
    basic cream and/or sour cream sauce that I could vary with
    other ingredients. I knew it would have to have onion and
    garlic - or at least garlic at any rate - and as a base this
    sauce seems to me to provide a number of variations.

    I guess one could simply stir-fry sliced mushrooms with the
    onion and garlic for a funghi type sauce? And then I rather
    like sun-dried or slow oven roasted tomatoes - so they could
    be added instead of the mushrooms but with the tomato paste?

    So many recipes are complicated when in reality the answer
    is simple. It was the simple that evaded me. So thanks.

    >This works well by itself over Fettuccini, or you can sauté
    >a few shrimp and mix with the Fettuccini and put the sauce
    >over the top. There are almost endless variations by
    >changing the spices slightly. For an Alfredo Variation
    >leave the fennel out and add a couple of tablespoons of
    >Freshly grated Parmesan, or a little grated fresh ginger
    >with pork or chicken. You can add a tablespoon or two of
    >tomato paste for a creamy tomato sauce. I have even warmed
    >the leftover sauce in the morning, and added a little lemon
    >juice for an ersatz Hollandaise to put over eggs.
    >
    >Sauté in butter about a teaspoon of finally minced onion
    >and half a teaspoon of finally minced garlic 30 to 60
    >seconds or until the onion is translucent. Add 1/2 to a
    >full cup of heavy cream. Add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed fennel
    >seeds Add 1 teaspoon of fresh parsley Salt and pepper to
    >taste Boil down rapidly stirring from time to time until it
    >is the desired thickness approx 5 minutes
    >
    >JakeInHartsel
    >

    >Sauté in butter about a teaspoon of finally minced onion
    >and half a teaspoon of finally minced garlic 30 to 60
    >seconds or until onion is translucent. Add 1/2 to a full
    >cup of heavy cream. Add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed fennel
    >seeds Add 1 teaspoon of fresh parsley Salt and pepper to
    >taste Boil down rapidly stirring from time to time until it
    >is the desired thickness approx 5 minutes.
    >
    >JakeInHartsel

    Daisy