Professional Cycling · Public discussion

Paul Kimmage and the UCI :

Started by limerickman · · Last activity · 11 posts · 2,211 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Professional Cycling
Published
25 September 2012
Last activity
28 September 2012
Original author
limerickman
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,211
Views / 30 days
19

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. [IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

    The UCI has issued a writ against journalist and former professional cyclist Paul Kimmage.

    The UCI are unhappy about an interview which Paul did with Floyd Landis in which allegations about UCI complicity in the war on doping was discussed.
    (essentially it's been alleged that the UCI were complicit in the covering up of positive dope tests in the noughties).

    It would appear that the UCI are now determined to try to shoot the messenger rather than challenge the veracity of the allegations that concern complicity in the covering up of positive dope tests.

    If there are followers of the sport of cycling who are interested in donating to a fund to help finance Paul Kimmage's defence the folks at nyvelocity.com have started a fund to which you can contribute to at this link page nyvelocity.compaul kimmage defense fund

    Thanks for reading this and if you do wish to make a donation, well done also[IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

  2. Fancy posting that interview or are we just left to believe that the word of one ex-pro cyclist, who was bitter about not making it in the sport because of drug use, wrote something that was said by another bitter and pennyless ex-pro cyclist whose career was [censored] because of drug use who also had a 'fairness fund' ironically enough. Sadly, he was a lying, cheating f**khead and thankfully he has to pay that back. I look forward to getting those pennies back. I might complete the circle of irony here and see if my mother in-law would part with a vial of EPO for that donation check - just so I can write "David Millar go-juice" on it and have it mounted above the TV for every time I see the sactimonious twaddle spew forth from his mouth everytime drugs are mentioned during the Tour.

    One can only hope that the Tour organizers put 10 mountain stages right at the start of next years Tour otherwise it's going to be 2.5 hours of "Lance Armstrong and how nearly all the big Tour winners have doped" followed by 2 minutes of crash highlights and the last 10km of the finale. I was shocked that Frank Schleck's test only received a few minutes of air time.

    Since I've not been keeping up with Mr Kimmage's world, why is he unemployed now? I wouldn't have thought that such a renowned journalist and author wouldn't have any problems keeping a job writing for a sunday rag...

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by swampy1970 [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    Fancy posting that interview or are we just left to believe that the word of one ex-pro cyclist, who was bitter about not making it in the sport because of drug use, wrote something that was said by another bitter and pennyless ex-pro cyclist whose career was [censored] because of drug use who also had a 'fairness fund' ironically enough. Sadly, he was a lying, cheating f**khead and thankfully he has to pay that back. I look forward to getting those pennies back. I might complete the circle of irony here and see if my mother in-law would part with a vial of EPO for that donation check - just so I can write "David Millar go-juice" on it and have it mounted above the TV for every time I see the sactimonious twaddle spew forth from his mouth everytime drugs are mentioned during the Tour.

    One can only hope that the Tour organizers put 10 mountain stages right at the start of next years Tour otherwise it's going to be 2.5 hours of "Lance Armstrong and how nearly all the big Tour winners have doped" followed by 2 minutes of crash highlights and the last 10km of the finale. I was shocked that Frank Schleck's test only received a few minutes of air time.

    Since I've not been keeping up with Mr Kimmage's world, why is he unemployed now? I wouldn't have thought that such a renowned journalist and author wouldn't have any problems keeping a job writing for a sunday rag...


    I take it that you won't be donating to PK's fund?[IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon13.gif[/IMG]

    Kimmage isn't unemployed as such.
    In the media business contracted contributors/writers are not normally employed by media outlets in the normal way that people are employed.
    The Sunday Times for example ceased publishing Kimmage a couple of years back (he did some great articles on sports people like Nick Faldo, Seve Ballasteros, Damon Hill............).

    Then again, David Walsh wrote for the Sunday Times, then stopped writing for the Times for a couple of years and is now back with the Sunday Times.
    It seems to be how that industry works.

    As far as I know PK is concentrating on book writing at the moment.
    This will cheer you up britishsportsbookawards.co.ukbritishsportsbookawards.co.uk

    And he's presenting and contributing to sports shows on radio and television both here and in the UK too.

  4. Moderator role: Campy desist from trolling my thread.

  5. If the guy writes slanderous / libelous material - by that I means stuff that cannot be backed up and proven with hard facts - then he deserves to pay the price for his actions.

    It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

  6. all well and good, yojimbo, but the actions verbruggen and mcquaid have taken are, to say the least, vindictive. as others have asked, why not also sue l'equipe and the sunday times where these allegedly slanderous statements were made? further, wouldn't this present quite a bit of blow back if it is discovered that uci, verbruggen and mcquaid have dirty hands?

  7. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by slovakguy [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    all well and good, yojimbo, but the actions verbruggen and mcquaid have taken are, to say the least, vindictive. as others have asked, why not also sue l'equipe and the sunday times where these allegedly slanderous statements were made? further, wouldn't this present quite a bit of blow back if it is discovered that uci, verbruggen and mcquaid have dirty hands?

    Presumably they don't have dirty hands, or they are taking an insane risk.

    Perhaps their strategy is to win this case and then go after the other organizations using that case as a precedent.

    I think it's a shame that there aren't more laws to hold people accountable for disseminating false information. Just think of what that would mean - politicians, newspapers, TV, corporations, bloggers - everybody should be held accountable.

  8. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by limerickman [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    I take it that you won't be donating to PK's fund?[IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon13.gif[/IMG]

    Kimmage isn't unemployed as such.
    In the media business contracted contributors/writers are not normally employed by media outlets in the normal way that people are employed.
    The Sunday Times for example ceased publishing Kimmage a couple of years back (he did some great articles on sports people like Nick Faldo, Seve Ballasteros, Damon Hill............).

    Then again, David Walsh wrote for the Sunday Times, then stopped writing for the Times for a couple of years and is now back with the Sunday Times.
    It seems to be how that industry works.

    As far as I know PK is concentrating on book writing at the moment.
    This will cheer you up britishsportsbookawards.co.ukbritishsportsbookawards.co.uk

    And he's presenting and contributing to sports shows on radio and television both here and in the UK too.


    So again I ask, what did he post in the interview? This is what seems to be the crux of the matter, not whether I'd be donating again...

  9. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    Presumably they don't have dirty hands, or they are taking an insane risk.

    Perhaps their strategy is to win this case and then go after the other organizations using that case as a precedent.

    I think it's a shame that there aren't more laws to hold people accountable for disseminating false information. Just think of what that would mean - politicians, newspapers, TV, corporations, bloggers - everybody should be held accountable.


    Yeah. It would be a great day for corruption when no one can speak the truth unless they can prove it in court.

    I donated. Everyone else should too. Every dollar is a vote against the UCI.

  10. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    Presumably they don't have dirty hands, or they are taking an insane risk.

    Perhaps their strategy is to win this case and then go after the other organizations using that case as a precedent.

    I think it's a shame that there aren't more laws to hold people accountable for disseminating false information. Just think of what that would mean - politicians, newspapers, TV, corporations, bloggers - everybody should be held accountable.

    not necessarliy. tactically, by going after someone with little financial ability to answer the charges would result in a favourable determination for the plaintiffs, in that, the court would have to judge in their favour because no or a severely hobbled rebuttal was made. in going after landis (financially strapped to say the least) or kimmage but not l' equipe or sunday times (who have the lawyers and money) verbruggen and mc quaid might be trying to gain the patina of propriety on the cheap.

  11. Quoted post said:

    Originally Posted by swampy1970 [IMG]/img/forum/go_quote.gif[/IMG]

    So again I ask, what did he post in the interview? This is what seems to be the crux of the matter, not whether I'd be donating again...


    What did who post in what interview, swampy?

    I've no idea what interview you're referring to.
    Are you referring to the 7 hour interview between Paul Kimmage and Floyd Landis?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.