Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Paul Newman is a Mountain Biker

Started by JD · · Last activity · 11 posts · 461 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
7 October 2006
Last activity
10 October 2006
Original author
JD
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
461
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. He was rippin' it up in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". Besides
    that, the real Butch Cassidy used to hang around near Mohab in a
    particular spot on a specific ridge to scope for trains to rob. It's
    kind of cool, being in a spot where you know this particular character
    from history was planning his hijinks.

    JD

  2. In the previous article said:

    He was rippin' it up in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".

    I notice he didn't need no wussy suspension, either.

    Quoted message said:

    Besides that, the real Butch Cassidy used to hang around near Mohab
    in a particular spot on a specific ridge to scope for trains to rob.
    It's kind of cool, being in a spot where you know this particular
    character from history was planning his hijinks.

    Here are two pics of that spot. It's on (I think this is right) the
    Onion Creek trail.

    The shack:

    http://www.panix.com/~baldwin/butch1.jpg

    Standing near the shack and looking back toward the trail proper (that
    isn't me peeking out there; that dude is too skinny):

    http://www.panix.com/~baldwin/butch2.jpg

    What I've heard about this spot is that "legend has it" that Butch and
    Sundance hid out there. There's no solid historical support for it,
    but historians of the Old West agree that it's at least plausible.
    --
    _+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
    _|70|___🙂=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also
    \ / [email hidden]|to deny under oath that I ever made it. -T. Lehrer
    ***~~~~-----------------------------------------------------------------------

  3. JD said:

    He was rippin' it up in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".

    On a fixie, no less, IIRC.

    CC

  4. Corvus Corvax said:
    JD said:

    He was rippin' it up in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".

    On a fixie, no less, IIRC.

    CC

    Nope he freewheeled... I specifically watched for it!

    Jimbo... bike geek...(san)

  5. "Jimbo(san)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Corvus Corvax said:
    JD said:

    He was rippin' it up in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".

    On a fixie, no less, IIRC.

    CC

    Nope he freewheeled... I specifically watched for it!

    Speaking of fixies on my morning commute I got held up at a
    loooooooooooooooooooong, slow freight train in Glendale. Serves me right
    for being the good doobie and waiting for the train. I got to the tracks
    right when the bells started sounding, it still took another 10 seconds
    after I stopped just for the arms to start dropping but I figured it was
    going to be a high speed metro and it wouldn't take long. Wow, was I wrong.
    Anyways, while I'm sitting there through the train I see a guy roll slowly
    up on the other side of the tracks and he looked like a messenger, shoulder
    mounted cell phone, messenger bag, lots of tats and piercings, cars r
    coffins tshirt, don't know if he was a poseur or actually a messenger since
    it was mid-day and we weren't downtown or anywhere close to a place that
    bicycle messengers make sense, but since it looked like he was a character I
    looked a little closer to see what he was riding and it was a fixie. After
    the train finally passed through I gave a wave to the guy and watched him
    get into his clipless pedals pretty smoothly which brings up a question.
    I'd always read that getting into clipless pedals was difficult on a fixie
    but this guy made it look like a piece of cake. Experiences?

    Greg

  6. G.T. said:

    cars r coffins tshirt

    Hurl is *everywhere*.

    JD

  7. G.T. said:

    I'd always read that getting into clipless pedals was difficult on a fixie
    but this guy made it look like a piece of cake. Experiences?

    Greg

    I find it easy. I find that you get used to stepping into, clicking in
    and keeping your feet moving.
    I started in toe clips and have lately wanted to switch back so I could
    choose more pedestrian friendly shoes... I am not looking foward to
    changing my thinking when riding the fix.

    Jimbo(san)

  8. G.T. said:


    I'd always read that getting into clipless pedals was difficult on a fixie
    but this guy made it look like a piece of cake. Experiences?

    Never had a problem. I'm surprised anybody told you it was an issue.

    Clipping _out_ was a slightly more complicated learning curve for me.
    The reason for this is that, on a freewheel bike, when you stop at a
    light or whatever, you tend to clip out of the "high" pedal and leave
    your foot in the "low" one, for stability when you put a foot down. If
    you do that on a fix, you end up high and dry when you have to start up
    again, because you can't rotate the pedal with your foot in it to the
    high side to push off. On a fix, you have to clip out of the "low"
    pedal when stopping, which feels really weird for a while.

    CC

  9. G.T. said:

    "Jimbo(san)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Corvus Corvax said:

    JD wrote:
    > He was rippin' it up in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".

    On a fixie, no less, IIRC.

    CC

    Nope he freewheeled... I specifically watched for it!

    Speaking of fixies on my morning commute I got held up at a
    loooooooooooooooooooong, slow freight train in Glendale. Serves me right
    for being the good doobie and waiting for the train. I got to the tracks
    right when the bells started sounding, it still took another 10 seconds
    after I stopped just for the arms to start dropping but I figured it was
    going to be a high speed metro and it wouldn't take long. Wow, was I wrong.
    Anyways, while I'm sitting there through the train I see a guy roll slowly
    up on the other side of the tracks and he looked like a messenger, shoulder
    mounted cell phone, messenger bag, lots of tats and piercings, cars r
    coffins tshirt, don't know if he was a poseur or actually a messenger since
    it was mid-day and we weren't downtown or anywhere close to a place that
    bicycle messengers make sense, but since it looked like he was a character I
    looked a little closer to see what he was riding and it was a fixie. After
    the train finally passed through I gave a wave to the guy and watched him
    get into his clipless pedals pretty smoothly which brings up a question.
    I'd always read that getting into clipless pedals was difficult on a fixie
    but this guy made it look like a piece of cake. Experiences?

    Greg

    Clipping in is no problem whatsoever, but if you ride brakeless
    accidentally clipping out in a emergency is BAAAAD news. Straps are
    more reliable in that way. I popped out of some admittably worn old
    Shimano 747 and very nearly ate [censored] when a driver swerved head on
    towards me. I've had good results with Time Atacs.
    Straps are also big with messengers as you can wear normal shoes when
    you're hoofing around.
    /s

  10. J.D. Baldwin said:
    In the previous article said:

    He was rippin' it up in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".

    I notice he didn't need no wussy suspension, either.

    I think it was a 29er though.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Besides that, the real Butch Cassidy used to hang around near Mohab
    in a particular spot on a specific ridge to scope for trains to rob.
    It's kind of cool, being in a spot where you know this particular
    character from history was planning his hijinks.

    Here are two pics of that spot. It's on (I think this is right) the
    Onion Creek trail.

    The shack:

    http://www.panix.com/~baldwin/butch1.jpg

    There are no train tracks near that shack.

    Quoted message said:

    What I've heard about this spot is that "legend has it" that Butch and
    Sundance hid out there. There's no solid historical support for it,
    but historians of the Old West agree that it's at least plausible.

    They hid out all over the place in the Four Corners area, so that's
    probably true.

    JD

  11. JD wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    They hid out all over the place in the Four Corners area, so that's
    probably true.

    JD

    Yeah, there's a cave in Westwater canyon near the first rapid that was
    supposed to be one of their hideouts too. Cool spot. Last time I was
    there (maybe 10-12 years ago) there were still artifacts in it like an
    old stove and some pieces of clothing. There was a sign asking to not
    mess with the stuff and it seemed people had honored that. Of course
    it's only accessible by the river (or maybe helicopter) so I think that
    keeps a lot of people out.

    Matt

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.