UK and Europe · Public discussion

Pavement cycling

Started by Paul Boyd · · Last activity · 23 posts · 1,023 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
26 July 2006
Last activity
29 July 2006
Original author
Paul Boyd
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,023
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–23 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Peter Fox said:

    Following on from bookieb's message. . .

    Quoted message said:

    Fairy nuff. As long as you're not bombing it, swerving around and
    between pedestrians etc., you may or may not be stopped, but in any
    case will not be posecuted or fined.


    Umm...that's the /theory/. Of course you *will be* if nabbed by a
    quota-driven dough-brain-in-a-uniform or community thingy. "Lets have
    more of that on-the-spot stuff to stop terrorists". You might be able
    to get out of it *eventually* but that won't stop them trying it on again.

    I don't know if they still do, but at one time Stockport had council
    officers specifically located on short cuts used by cyclists (largely to
    avoid the ill considered traffic calming measures they had put in). I
    was stopped once on what is sometimes referred to as the "Moorfield
    Bridleway". Despite its name, and the fact that they built a bridge over
    the new bypass wide enough to take a car, apparently it was a "public
    footpath". I was warned that "I could be committing a criminal offence".
    When I asked the jobsworth how many houses had been burgled while he was
    talking to me, he was strangely silent. Oddly he "hadn't seen" any of
    the horse riders who also regularly used that route.

    I'm not talking about the pavement here, but a wide path through fields.
    What makes the pavement cycling issue an even greyer area is that
    sometimes some stretches of the pavement are designated as shared
    between cyclists and pedestrians, whilst others aren't.

    OT, but sometimes the law is a confusing ass. In this country it's
    illegal to park on the pavement - you must park on the road. If France
    and many other continental countries it's generally illegal to park on
    the road - you must park on the pavement.

    ---
    Brian

  2. BrianW wrote on 29/07/2006 11:18 +0100:

    Quoted message said:


    I don't know if they still do, but at one time Stockport had council
    officers specifically located on short cuts used by cyclists (largely to
    avoid the ill considered traffic calming measures they had put in). I
    was stopped once on what is sometimes referred to as the "Moorfield
    Bridleway". Despite its name, and the fact that they built a bridge over
    the new bypass wide enough to take a car, apparently it was a "public
    footpath". I was warned that "I could be committing a criminal offence".

    Well they were definitely wrong there. The criminal offence only
    applies to footways alongside the road. Footpaths across the field are
    not criminal - its a civil matter of trespass. The land owner only can
    ask you to leave by the shortest route and can take you to court to
    recover any damages (and if you are persistent obtain an injunction).

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  3. Tony Raven wrote:

    The criminal offence only

    Quoted message said:

    applies to footways alongside the road. Footpaths across the field are
    not criminal - its a civil matter of trespass.

    so what of footpaths that go cross country but are tarmacced and have
    the familiar red circle No Cycling sign? we got lot of those round here
    (often termed twittens). I always assumed they were subject to bylaws
    which presumably mean bike riders can be put in the stocks or somesuch.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.