General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Peanuts on Airplane

Started by Mary · · Last activity · 162 posts · 5,181 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 January 2004
Last activity
28 January 2004
Original author
Mary
Posts
162
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,181
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 162
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. bumble said:

    This is *not* an urban myth - it happened to me on a long-haul flight a couple of years ago. It
    was a package tour, so we had this person on our 8-hour flight both there and back.

    Just as they were passing out the pre-dinner drinks we were informed that someone on board had a
    severe nut allergy, and so snacks would not be


    served

    Quoted message said:

    with the drinks. And, BTW, would people ensure that they did not eat any nuts of their own, even
    the smell could kill the person.

    We were kinda cheesed off, but I guess it was much worse for the person


    with

    Quoted message said:

    the allergy, wondering if somebody would cheat, or would they make it back alive.

    This person had no business travelling, especially on a package tour. A tour company is not legally
    obligated to accept such a person - read "terms and conditions".

    --
    Best Greg

  2. Jonathan Sachs said:
    Miche said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's not a relevant point, if it ever was! Our lawmakers have established the right of public
    schools to require students to wear uniforms (Seig Heil!),

    Oh for goodness sake.

    Having to wear school uniform doesn't turn one into a drone.

    I'm pleased that you survived. My point is that one of the avowed purposes of public education is
    to teach our children to be good citizens, and the model of good citizenship which public schools
    are presenting to them is increasingly regimented and authoritarian. Is this a model of the
    society we want to develop? Not me.

    Oh good grief...schoolkids in the UK or Oz or the States or wherever being required to wear school
    uniforms is not analagous to school kids in the Third Reich or the former USSR or North Korea being
    required to wear uniforms. Our kids in uniforms aren't required to wear any Young Pioneer scarves or
    "We Love Kim Il - Sung!" pins or [censored] Jugend insignia or anything.

    School uniforms are a *great* idea - universal adoption of them would eliminate a lot of nonsense,
    not to mention easing financial burdens for parents.

    It's *just* school clothing, fer cryin' out loud.

    --
    Best Greg

  3. Julia Altshuler said:

    Elana Kehoe wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It does amaze me that people would get mad cause they couldn't have peanuts on a plane, because
    it might cause someone to get deathly ill. Even before our fun with allergies here, I'd never
    think of being upset cause I couldn't have something, if it made someone not breathe.

    Essentially I agree with you. I can easily forgo peanuts for 8 hours if means saving someone's
    life. Hell, I'd get hungry, but I'd gladly forgo all food for 8 hours for that. But I like to play
    devil's advocate. Read the following and tell me if you'd be willing to put up with restrictions
    this stringent on a daily basis in order to allow someone else to breathe.

    <snip story>

    Granted that the interior of an airplane is recirculated air, but so is a train, office, school or
    restaurant to a certain extent. If a person is out in the world with other people, he/she risks
    exposure to irritants. The airlines have evidently chosen to elminate one source of lawsuits, but
    peanuts (or perfume or flowers) can't be universally banned. It's no great sacrifice to give up a
    bag of airline peanuts (particularly if they substitute macadamias!), but if someone is alergic to
    fresh-washed hair or clothes, he'd be better off just staying home.

    I think most are willing to make reasonable accomodation to others' needs. I could easily make a no-
    meat meal for a vegetarian, but wouldn't venture more than a cup of tea and a carrot for a strict
    vegan or Kosher guest. Those restrictions are more than I can easily adjust to. Although I'd be
    happy to eat at *their* house. :-)

  4. While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, Frogleg of EarthLink Inc.

    -- url='http://www.earthlink.net/'http://www.EarthLink.net/url said:

    I think most are willing to make reasonable accomodation to others' needs. I could easily make a
    no-meat meal for a vegetarian, but wouldn't venture more than a cup of tea and a carrot for a
    strict vegan or Kosher guest. Those restrictions are more than I can easily adjust to. Although I'd
    be happy to eat at *their* house. :-)

    You could ask them for a recipe for something they like, but which doesn't require hunting for hard-to-
    get ingredients.
    --
    Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18 ICQ# 251532856 Unreferenced footnotes: nut.house.cxcgi
    bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN "There is scarcely a business or industry left that could understand the concept
    of shame even if they looked it up in a dictionary." Eric Walker (AUE)

  5. (Elana Kehoe) said:

    Yes, that is true...they can't stop someone from eating them on the plane. Of course, whoever does
    after they make an annoucement like that...well, everyone on the plane might be mad at them after
    they had to make an emergency landing :-).

    I'm not familiar with this area of law, but I suspect that while they can't stop you, they could
    prosecute you. The charges would be something like disobeying a lawful order of a flight crew member
    and willfully endangering another passenger. And if the allergic person was actually in danger, or
    if the plane was forced to make an unscheduled landing, I'll bet there would be criminal charges.

    My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.

  6. Elana Kehoe said:

    Naomi Darvell <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is a dilemma too, but I don't think it's that similar to the peanut thing. That's a
    matter of not giving out peanuts on public transportation. (BTW, they're not stopping people
    from bringing them on; they're just not giving them out. You're not really restricted, that I
    can see.)

    Yes, that is true...they can't stop someone from eating them on the plane.

    Tell you the truth, I think they can tell you not to eat them on the plane. You do have to listen to
    the flight crew. At any rate, who cares about the silly peanuts on the flight, when you're not
    flying you can buy them and eat yourself sick on them, what's the big deal.

    I feel differently about banning peanut butter sandwiches in school, I think that's going too far.
    That's not just a five hour flight, that's the whole school day in and day out. At some point, where
    do one individual's rights override everyone else's?

    nancy

  7. Nancy Young <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I feel differently about banning peanut butter sandwiches in school, I think that's going too far.
    That's not just a five hour flight, that's the whole school day in and day out. At some point,
    where do one individual's rights override everyone else's?

    nancy

    most of this peanuts business has to do with due process and legal responsiblity; the schools,
    airlines etc...wish not to be sued.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

  8. "Gregory Morrow" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    bumble said:

    This is *not* an urban myth - it happened to me on a long-haul flight a couple of years ago. It
    was a package tour, so we had this person on our 8-hour flight both there and back.

    Just as they were passing out the pre-dinner drinks we were informed that someone on board had a
    severe nut allergy, and so snacks would not be


    served

    Quoted message said:

    with the drinks. And, BTW, would people ensure that they did not eat any nuts of their own, even
    the smell could kill the person.

    We were kinda cheesed off, but I guess it was much worse for the person


    with

    Quoted message said:

    the allergy, wondering if somebody would cheat, or would they make it back alive.

    This person had no business travelling, especially on a package tour. A tour company is not
    legally obligated to accept such a person - read "terms and conditions".

    On the contrary, ADA would *require* the tour company and the airline to accept the passenger if
    reasonable accommodations could be made, "terms and conditions" and other weasel words
    notwithstanding. Not handing out the gimme snacks would be a pretty reasonable accommodation, as is
    merely asking passengers to refrain from eating nuts. Requiring the passenger to have injectable
    epinephrine (such as an EpiPen) on hand and notifying the flight crew that this passenger was
    carrying an EpiPen would also be reasonable.

    --
    Chris Green

  9. On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:46:37 +0100, MEow <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, Frogleg of EarthLink Inc. --

    url='http://www.earthlink.net/'http://www.EarthLink.net/url said:

    I think most are willing to make reasonable accomodation to others' needs. I could easily make a
    no-meat meal for a vegetarian, but wouldn't venture more than a cup of tea and a carrot for a
    strict vegan or Kosher guest. Those restrictions are more than I can easily adjust to. Although
    I'd be happy to eat at *their* house. :-)

    You could ask them for a recipe for something they like, but which doesn't require hunting for hard-to-
    get ingredients.

    Well, strict vegans object to even animal-derived ingredients in condiments or seasoning. And while
    I don't know all the rules, I'm pretty sure none of my pots or tableware are kosher.

  10. MEow said:

    While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, Frogleg of EarthLink Inc. --

    url='http://www.earthlink.net/'http://www.EarthLink.net/url said:

    I think most are willing to make reasonable accomodation to others' needs. I could easily make a
    no-meat meal for a vegetarian, but wouldn't venture more than a cup of tea and a carrot for a
    strict vegan or Kosher guest. Those restrictions are more than I can easily adjust to. Although
    I'd be happy to eat at *their* house. :-)

    You could ask them for a recipe for something they like, but which doesn't require hunting for hard-to-
    get ingredients.

    You'd have to buy new pots/pans/dishes/utensils to prepare a meal that your local orthodox rabbi
    could eat.

    Best regards, Bob

  11. While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, Frogleg of EarthLink Inc.

    -- url='http://www.earthlink.net/'http://www.EarthLink.net/url said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think most are willing to make reasonable accomodation to others' needs. I could easily make a
    no-meat meal for a vegetarian, but wouldn't venture more than a cup of tea and a carrot for a
    strict vegan or Kosher guest. Those restrictions are more than I can easily adjust to. Although
    I'd be happy to eat at *their* house. :-)

    You could ask them for a recipe for something they like, but which doesn't require hunting for hard-to-
    get ingredients.

    Well, strict vegans object to even animal-derived ingredients in condiments or seasoning. And while
    I don't know all the rules, I'm pretty sure none of my pots or tableware are kosher.

    That's why asking for a recipe from them makes sense. If you follow that, it will be fine with them.
    Actually, when I was a vegan I used to offer to bring my own food, when invited. As far as Kosher
    goes, I didn't know that there was special rules for the cookware.
    --
    Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18 ICQ# 251532856 Unreferenced footnotes: nut.house.cxcgi
    bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN "There is scarcely a business or industry left that could understand the concept
    of shame even if they looked it up in a dictionary." Eric Walker (AUE)

  12. x-no-archive: yes

    Naomi Darvell said:

    I missed the part where there was an announcement. I thought we were talking about things like
    United Airlines no longer serving peanuts just in case someone allergic was on.

    I'm sorry, I might have been confusing this ng with a food allergy mailing list I'm on. I don't know
    if anyone mentioned an annoucement.
    --
    "In Finnegans Wake, he just made up words. Now that's just not sporting!" ..A friend on James Joyce

  13. Nancy Young said:

    I feel differently about banning peanut butter sandwiches in school, I think that's going too far.
    That's not just a five hour flight, that's the whole school day in and day out. At some point,
    where do one individual's rights override everyone else's?

    When it can cause death.

    There are people who react to peanut butter on people's breath. If a child like that is in my
    child's school, sure, I'd be a little ticked off. But if it was my child, I'd sure appreciate other
    parents respecting the fact.

    Parents object to guns and drugs being brought to schools...they both kill. Same idea. (okay, some
    leeway there, but you know what I mean).
    --
    "In Finnegans Wake, he just made up words. Now that's just not sporting!" ..A friend on James Joyce

  14. While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, zxcvbob of "The Wonderful

    World of Bob'™ said:

    You'd have to buy new pots/pans/dishes/utensils to prepare a meal that your local orthodox rabbi
    could eat.


    I can understand not wanting to do that; I wouldn't do it, either.
    --
    Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18 ICQ# 251532856 Unreferenced footnotes: nut.house.cxcgi
    bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN "There is scarcely a business or industry left that could understand the concept
    of shame even if they looked it up in a dictionary." Eric Walker (AUE)

  15. Elana Kehoe said:


    Nancy Young said:

    I feel differently about banning peanut butter sandwiches in school, I think that's going too
    far. That's not just a five hour flight, that's the whole school day in and day out. At some
    point, where do one individual's rights override everyone else's?

    When it can cause death.

    There are people who react to peanut butter on people's breath.

    I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, I promise I don't. But they had better find some way to deal
    with it, because they will come across many, many people in their lives who have peanuts on their
    breath. By deal with it, I mean carry medication, whatever. Hey, I try to carry peanut butter
    crackers because sometimes I get very hungry very suddenly and need something like that. I could be
    on line behind them in the mall.

    Quoted message said:

    Parents object to guns and drugs being brought to schools...they both kill. Same idea. (okay, some
    leeway there, but you know what I mean).

    Well, yeah, that is a little extreme. No offense. All I'm saying is they'd better figure something
    else out sooner rather than later, because the rest of the world is not going to ban peanut butter
    and jelly sandwiches for them.

    nancy

  16. Nancy Young <[email hidden]> wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    because the rest of the world is not going to ban peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for them.

    nancy

    How about banning these?

    From aboutpeanuts.comrecipes.cgi

    Well maybe not the roll-ups.

    CHUTNEY CHEESE MOLD

    11 ounces cream cheese 3 tablespoons raisins, chopped 3 tablespoons sour cream 3 teaspoons
    curry powder
    3/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
    4/2 cup chopped green onions
    5/2 cup chutney
    6/2 cup grated coconut 4 tablespoons crumbled bacon

    Mix all ingredients by hand. Form into ball. Refrigerate. Roll in coconut. Serve with bland
    crackers. Makes about 3 dozen servings.

    MEXINUT DIP

    1 (11-1/2 ounce) can condensed bean with bacon soup 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese 1 (10-
    ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion 1 tablespoon hot
    chili powder
    7/2 cup peanut butter

    Conventional method: Heat all ingredients in top of double boiler over hot (not boiling) water. Cook
    and stir until cheese is melted and mixture is blended.

    Microwave: In 2 quart casserole, combine all ingredients. Cover with a glass lid. Microwave on High
    for 5 to 6 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring occasionally. Stir before serving.

    Serve with corn chips or crackers.

    PEANUT BUTTER BACON ROLLUPS

    8/4 cup crunchy peanut butter 2 tablespoons butter, melted
    9/2 cup water 2 cups packaged herb-seasoned stuffing 1 egg, slightly beaten
    10/2 pound, hot or mild, bulk pork sausage
    11/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
    12/4 pound sliced bacon

    In large bowl, mix peanut butter, butter, water and stuffing. Stir in egg, sausage and peanuts,
    blend well. Chill for about 1 hour. Shape into small balls or oblongs. Cut bacon slices into
    thirds. Wrap each piece of stuffing mixture with 1 piece of bacon. Fasten with a wooden pick. Place
    on a rack in a shallow pan. Bake in a preheated 375° F. oven 30-35 minutes. Turn halfway through
    cooking. Drain on paper towels and serve hot. Stack on serving plate and garnish with cherry
    tomatoes and parsley.

    May be made ahead and frozen. To serve, thaw and bake as directed above. Makes about 4 dozen.

    COLONIAL PEANUT SOUP

    2 tablespoons butter 2 tablespoons grated onion 1 branch celery, thinly sliced 2 Tablespoons
    all-purpose flour 3 cups chicken broth
    13/2 cup creamy peanut butter
    14/4 teaspoon salt 2 Tablespoons lemon juice 2 Tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts

    Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat; add onion and celery. Saute for about 5 minutes. Add
    flour and mix until well blended. Stir in chicken broth and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes.
    Remove from heat, strain broth. Stir the peanut butter, salt and lemon juice into the strained
    broth until well mixed. Serve hot in cups. Garnish each cup with a teaspoon of chopped peanuts.
    Makes 6 servings.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

  17. Elana Kehoe said:

    x-no-archive: yes

    Naomi Darvell said:

    This is a dilemma too, but I don't think it's that similar to the peanut thing. That's a
    matter of not giving out peanuts on public transportation. (BTW, they're not stopping people
    from bringing them on; they're just not giving them out. You're not really restricted, that I
    can see.)

    Yes, that is true...they can't stop someone from eating them on the plane. Of course, whoever does
    after they make an annoucement like that...well, everyone on the plane might be mad at them after
    they had to make an emergency landing :-).

    Quoted message said:

    This situation seems different in a number of ways. I gather this woman is confined to her
    house, so if you go in, you are choosing to and you're agreeing to abide by all her
    restrictions. It's not like she's going onto a plane, or into the workplace, and asking that
    everyone avoid perfume or detergent for her sake. And, personally, no I wouldn't go through this
    type of thing on a daily basis in a workplace or on public transportation. I would do it if I
    were going to someone's house for a social visit.

    I agree with all of this. I sniffle with some perfumes, and wish that the person next to me on the
    train wasn't wearing it. I can't imagine what that woman goes through.

    However, I have to say that it also might be worth doing for a little while every day. If borax
    and baking soda gets clothes clean, it sounds like a cheaper and better way to clean clothes. As
    well, why do the smells of the beauty product have to be masked (ok, I don't really wear makeup,
    but I do have smelly bath stuff). It would be nice to be clean and just smell clean...with no
    smell. You know?

    because most perfumes use whale bile, either synthetic or natural. smell them first thing and most
    perfumes smell vile.

    But try telling this to a person working in a perfumery... they still want you to buy
    their products!

    lena

  18. Frogleg said:
    MEow said:

    While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, Frogleg of EarthLink Inc. --

    url='http://www.earthlink.net/'http://www.EarthLink.net/url said:

    I think most are willing to make reasonable accomodation to others' needs. I could easily make a
    no-meat meal for a vegetarian, but wouldn't venture more than a cup of tea and a carrot for a
    strict vegan or Kosher guest. Those restrictions are more than I can easily adjust to. Although
    I'd be happy to eat at *their* house. :-)

    You could ask them for a recipe for something they like, but which doesn't require hunting for
    hard-to-get ingredients.

    Well, strict vegans object to even animal-derived ingredients in condiments or seasoning. And
    while I don't know all the rules, I'm pretty sure none of my pots or tableware are kosher.

    bah! going over to your house in the first place to eat food is violating the spirit of keeping
    kosher anyway!

    Koshering pots isn't too terribly hard, as I recall (particularly if they're glass...

    Lena

  19. Nancy Young said:
    Elana Kehoe said:


    Nancy Young said:

    I feel differently about banning peanut butter sandwiches in school, I think that's going too
    far. That's not just a five hour flight, that's the whole school day in and day out. At some
    point, where do one individual's rights override everyone else's?

    When it can cause death.

    There are people who react to peanut butter on people's breath.

    I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, I promise I don't. But they had better find some way to deal
    with it, because they will come across many, many people in their lives who have peanuts on their
    breath. By deal with it, I mean carry medication, whatever. Hey, I try to carry peanut butter
    crackers because sometimes I get very hungry very suddenly and need something like that. I could
    be on line behind them in the mall.

    point taken. but remember, like most people with compromised immune systems, most people with
    extremely severe allergies can at least limit the odds of being exposed to grief. Buy from
    catalogues, do grocery shopping at midnight (like me!), use a car instead of public transportation,
    work at a job with limited public interaction... It is a life-altering condition. But then again, so
    is living in Pittsburgh (shut the windows! The sulfur's above 30 again!)

    lena

  20. [email hidden] (paula) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "i am sure that i have had peanuts on a flight (but that is in europe)but it is true that someone
    with an allergy can go into an anyphilactic(sp.) shock if they are in the same room as nuts --or--
    whatever they are allergic to.my best friends daughter has to carry a shot around with her so she
    can inject herself if necessary as she is always coming into contact with foodstuffs that contain
    nuts or derivatives of nuts EVEN though she is so careful as to what she buys and
    touches.unfortunately the world we live in is not always as careful so she tends to spend rather a
    lot of time in the emergency room of the local hospital.

    Peanuts or "nuts?" You talk about both. I'm allergic to nuts, but not peanuts, which are legumes.
    Are these people with peanut allergies also allergic to soybeans? tofu? peas?

    I've never heard of someone being so allergic that someone else across the room couldn't have a
    peanut butter sandwich. Like the poster says, it's all about lawsuits. Nut dust, on the other hand,
    is a problem, even for me, if I get it on my hands or accidentally on my face or in my mouth. Still,
    I don't care if other people like nuts and I even bake with them at the holidays, just being careful
    to thoroughly wash my hands.

    N.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.