In article <[email hidden]>,
[email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:I'm probably going to buy a pair of Shimano's
road shoes soon for my race bike and leave
the SPD system for commuting and mtb's.
The shoes can use both Shimano's old pedals
and their new "Lance" style ones, as well as
Look pedals.
Anyone with experience with either the new
Shimano system or Look pedals care to
comment?
I have a couple of sets of the dura-ace/look pedals from way back when.
I like them a lot. They are not hard to engage and hold my feet in
place. The bearings are nice and the pedals are easily serviced using
the wrench that came with the pedals.
Quoted message said:How durable are those plastic cleats?
On both systems?
Look cleats are not that durable. Depending on your riding style and miles,
you can get around 8 months of riding on a set of cleats. What happens is
that the cleat on the foot you put down at traffic lights is the one that
will wear fastest. You can rotate the cleats to get a bit more life out of
them. Eventually the front tab on the cleat gets thin enough to break. It
will do so at the work times, so you have to be carefull and check your cleats
for wear. I've been using, the unfortunately discontinued, starlight biocleat
with my looks. They last much, much longer. I've never had to replace a set
due to wear. I have had replace three sets due to crashes.
Quoted message said:I think the float is the same as SPD so that
shouldn't be an issue (6deg)?
Depending on the cleat.
Quoted message said:Basically any information which would sway
me either way with these two systems would
be great.
One advance of the new shimano pedal is that it weighs less than any look
pedal. One disadvantage to the new shimano pedal is that if shimano doesn't
think they are selling enough, they will just drop the pedal and you will be
stuck with a pedal you can't get parts for. Look has been around for a long
time, so you can be reasonably sure they will continue to be around for some
time in the future.
--------------
Alex