Ive been having lots of problems in my training lately, and I cant seem to trace it to one specific component. Ive tried moving my cleats around on the shoes, and changing shoes altogether, but nothing seems to fix it.
The problem is, I can ride for about 25 miles, and then massive foot cramps set in. I cant seem to do anything about it, and its not specific to whether Im pedaling or coasting. It usually comes after a specific period of time, around 45 minutes. Its not dehydration or anything like that either.
Ive been having lots of problems in my training lately, and I cant seem to trace it to one specific component. Ive tried moving my cleats around on the shoes, and changing shoes altogether, but nothing seems to fix it.
The problem is, I can ride for about 25 miles, and then massive foot cramps set in. I cant seem to do anything about it, and its not specific to whether Im pedaling or coasting. It usually comes after a specific period of time, around 45 minutes. Its not dehydration or anything like that either.
Hoping someone can help me out here?
Have you looked at cleat alignment/ angle, cleat side to side position, seat height. What type of pedals are you using ?
For what it's worth, I had cramping problems, quads, calves, feet, everywhere. Started taking a magnesium supplement. Still some problems, but greatly improved. What do you have to lose by trying it?
Bike fit has been checked and rechecked. It has to be something limited to shoes/pedals or my stroke.
Have you considered trying a larger shoe OR thinner socks?
If you think your current socks are thin as they can be, then try ONE ride (or, just sitting/putzing around at home for an hour, and then two hours, et cetera) without socks just to see if it is a simple circulatory problem from having a too-tight pair of shoes. Try pulling the molded liner out & slip a flat (sans arch support) Dr. Scholl type (e.g., Oder Eater, whatever brand you choose) shoe liner for one-or-more rides ... or, cut pieces of cardboard to fit on the respective footbeds if you don't want to spend the couple of bucks for the test rides.
ive had similar pains. mostly in the middle of my foot (middle from front to back) and to the outside.
i bought the lemond wedges and it fixed the problem. i dont think i have it perfectly right yet but most of the pain is gone. it used to be unbearable, like you said, and now it isnt that bad at all. i just have to fine tune it some more.