General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing

Started by itsjoannotjoann · · Last activity · 71 posts · 925 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 November 2007
Last activity
27 November 2007
Original author
itsjoannotjoann
Posts
71
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
925
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 71
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Oh pshaw, on Mon 12 Nov 2007 04:29:24p, itsjoannotjoann meant to say...

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy2 said:

    It doesn't need a binder if the broth is in the correct proportion -
    leftovers slice beautifully without the eggs. Try it once - I bet you
    won't notice they aren't there. ;-)

    N.


    Leftover dressing! What's that?? :-)

    Rarely was any left but it wasn't cooked to a state that it would
    slice. That would be my sister-in-law's dressing. And it requires
    copious amounts of gravy. :-(

    I put at least 1 or 2 eggs in my cornbread dressing that amply fills a 9 x
    9 inch baking dish. When cold, it's firm enough to slice, otherwise, it's
    soft enough to spoon out. I never stuff a bird, and I don't like regular
    bread dressing.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    (to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)
    ______________________________________________________________

    OK, I'm weird ! But I'm saving up to be eccentric.

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Gregory Morrow said:


    All those commercial stuffings are ghastly, full of all kinds of
    schmutz additives...better to make your own from scratch, it's very
    easy.
    --
    Best
    Greg

    Hate to differ, but it isn't all that easy to make stuffing/dressing
    from scratch. Tried that a couple of times and it was a royal pain in
    the keister. I prefer a plain bread-type stuffing; no apples, sausage,
    oysters, cherries or funky spices.
    I've not used the Pepperidge Farms brand, but usually the Stove Top
    brand stuffing works for me and any who partake of my meals.
    --
    Jack N2MPU
    Proud NRA Life Member

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nancy2 said:
    Quoted message said:


    I guess because all we ever had was a cornbread dressing with eggs
    (!), l-o-t-s of onions and celery, turkey broth, salt, pepper, sage,
    and a bit of butter is what I REALLY prefer. Childhood memories and
    tastes prevail for all of us I suppose.

    It doesn't need a binder if the broth is in the correct proportion -
    leftovers slice beautifully without the eggs. Try it once - I bet you
    won't notice they aren't there. ;-)

    N.

    I thought I saw this in another post of yours in this thread, but didn't
    say anything. Sliced stuffing? How on earth do you do that? That has to
    be some thick and/or stiff stuff!
    --
    Jack N2MPU
    Proud NRA Life Member

  4. Jack said:

    I thought I saw this in another post of yours in this thread, but didn't
    say anything. Sliced stuffing? How on earth do you do that? That has to
    be some thick and/or stiff stuff!

    Leftovers packed into a plastic container, sliced cold the next day,
    and panfried
    in butter until slightly crispy. Yum.

    Cindy Hamilton

  5. Jack said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nancy2 said:
    Quoted message said:

    I guess because all we ever had was a cornbread dressing with eggs
    (!), l-o-t-s of onions and celery, turkey broth, salt, pepper, sage,
    and a bit of butter is what I REALLY prefer. Childhood memories and
    tastes prevail for all of us I suppose.

    Quoted message said:

    It doesn't need a binder if the broth is in the correct proportion -
    leftovers slice beautifully without the eggs. Try it once - I bet you
    won't notice they aren't there. ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    N.

    I thought I saw this in another post of yours in this thread, but didn't
    say anything. Sliced stuffing? How on earth do you do that? That has to
    be some thick and/or stiff stuff!
    --
    Jack N2MPU
    Proud NRA Life Member

    Nope, it's moist, fluffy and when served with T'giving dinner, you can
    spoon it out. It has plenty of butter in it, though, along with the
    broth, so if you bake it separately in a bread (loaf) pan, you can
    slice it when it's been in the fridge. I'm not saying it all stays
    perfectly together - but it's mostly together. It's the butter that
    does it.

    Eggs for binder? Just not needed...and they don't make it any more or
    less sliceable anyway. JMO, of course.

    N.

  6. On Nov 13, 8:31 am, Cindy Hamilton <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jack said:

    I thought I saw this in another post of yours in this thread, but didn't
    say anything. Sliced stuffing? How on earth do you do that? That has to
    be some thick and/or stiff stuff!

    Leftovers packed into a plastic container, sliced cold the next day,
    and panfried
    in butter until slightly crispy. Yum.

    Cindy Hamilton

    Oh, I never thought of that - I'll have to try it. ;-)

    N.

  7. Goomba38 said:
    Janet said:

    I think that the cubed herb versions are actually excellent as a base for
    stuffing cooked in a bird, but you then need to add herbs, cream, eggs,
    sherry, broth, sausage, apples or dried cherries, sauteed onion and celery
    and garlic, and so forth. None of them are of the "stovetop" variety, as far
    as I know, and it sounds as if that is what you were doing with whatever you
    purchased.

    I don't get buying "stuffing mix" as I can cube up and season stale
    bread myself. What's the point of buying it especially as you're going
    to be adding so much other stuff?

    I'm doing James Beard's recipe this year.

    I rarely have left over bread - when I do, it's usually part of a
    French or Italian loaf, and I make garlic croutons out of it.

    ....or, I throw it out by my fence line for the critters ;-)

    N.

  8. Jack said:

    Hate to differ, but it isn't all that easy to make stuffing/dressing
    from scratch. Tried that a couple of times and it was a royal pain in
    the keister. I prefer a plain bread-type stuffing; no apples, sausage,
    oysters, cherries or funky spices.
    I've not used the Pepperidge Farms brand, but usually the Stove Top
    brand stuffing works for me and any who partake of my meals.

    What exactly did you find difficult about the process?
    Seriously. Perhaps we can help you simplify it if we knew what the
    problem you were having was?

  9. Nancy2 said:

    On Nov 13, 8:31 am, Cindy Hamilton <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jack said:

    I thought I saw this in another post of yours in this thread, but didn't
    say anything. Sliced stuffing? How on earth do you do that? That has to
    be some thick and/or stiff stuff!


    Leftovers packed into a plastic container, sliced cold the next day,
    and panfried
    in butter until slightly crispy. Yum.

    Cindy Hamilton

    Oh, I never thought of that - I'll have to try it. ;-)

    N.


    The most unusual use for leftover stuffing/dressing I ever witnessed-
    the weekend after TG a church I belonged to was in charge of the cooking
    down at the soup kitchen. The woman in charge made a huge vat of soup
    from scratch but also added leftover stuffing, gravy and vegetables to
    the soup and it worked. Perhaps that it was such a huge batch and the
    leftovers didn't amount to such a high proportion helped?

  10. Nancy2 said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm doing James Beard's recipe this year.

    I rarely have left over bread - when I do, it's usually part of a
    French or Italian loaf, and I make garlic croutons out of it.

    ...or, I throw it out by my fence line for the critters ;-)

    N.


    No no.. I don't usually have stale bread sitting around. I usually buy
    the bread, cube it, and let it get stale the day before TG for use in
    the stuffing/dressing.

  11. Jack said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Gregory Morrow said:

    All those commercial stuffings are ghastly, full of all kinds of
    schmutz additives...better to make your own from scratch, it's very
    easy.
    --
    Best
    Greg

    Hate to differ, but it isn't all that easy to make stuffing/dressing
    from scratch. Tried that a couple of times and it was a royal pain in
    the keister. I prefer a plain bread-type stuffing; no apples, sausage,
    oysters, cherries or funky spices.
    I've not used the Pepperidge Farms brand, but usually the Stove Top
    brand stuffing works for me and any who partake of my meals.

    That's because you are White trash. Only White trash types use that
    [censored].
    It's full of trans fats because they figure that folks like you are
    too stupid to know the difference.

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Jack N2MPU
    Proud NRA Life Member

    --Bryan

  12. On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:37:39 -0800, Bobo Bonobo® <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jack said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Gregory Morrow said:

    All those commercial stuffings are ghastly, full of all kinds of
    schmutz additives...better to make your own from scratch, it's very
    easy.
    --
    Best
    Greg

    Hate to differ, but it isn't all that easy to make stuffing/dressing
    from scratch. Tried that a couple of times and it was a royal pain in
    the keister. I prefer a plain bread-type stuffing; no apples, sausage,
    oysters, cherries or funky spices.
    I've not used the Pepperidge Farms brand, but usually the Stove Top
    brand stuffing works for me and any who partake of my meals.

    That's because you are White trash. Only White trash types use that
    [censored].
    It's full of trans fats because they figure that folks like you are
    too stupid to know the difference.

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Jack N2MPU
    Proud NRA Life Member

    --Bryan

    It is certainly not something that I use, but its only serious
    nutritional flaw seems to be a heavy hand with the sodium. No
    transfats at all in the product itself, as you can see below

    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 110 Calories from Fat 20
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 2.5g 4%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 460mg 19%
    Potassium 1mg 0%

    Total Carbohydrate 20g 7%
    Dietary Fiber <1g 3%
    Sugars 2g
    Protein 3g

    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 6%

    None of the Pepperidge Farm stuffing mixes have transfats, either. See
    info at link below.
    http://www.campbellwellness.com/product-list.asp?brandCatID=743&brandID=4&productID=11834&catID=341

    Now, what was that about someone being stupid?

    Boron

  13. Boron Elgar said:
    Quoted message said:

    That's because you are White trash. Only White trash types use that
    [censored].
    It's full of trans fats because they figure that folks like you are
    too stupid to know the difference.

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Jack N2MPU
    Proud NRA Life Member

    --Bryan

    It is certainly not something that I use, but its only serious
    nutritional flaw seems to be a heavy hand with the sodium. No
    transfats at all in the product itself, as you can see below

    That wasn't stupidity on Bobo's part, it was a technical issue; his phono
    needle gets stuck in the "that's [censored].....that's [censored]...trans fat...that's
    [censored]...trans fat..." groove.

    --
    Standing tall, ready to serve

  14. Boron Elgar said:

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:37:39 -0800, Bobo Bonobo® <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jack said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Gregory Morrow <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > All those commercial stuffings are ghastly, full of all kinds of
    > schmutz additives...better to make your own from scratch, it's very
    > easy.
    > --
    > Best
    > Greg
    Hate to differ, but it isn't all that easy to make stuffing/dressing
    from scratch. Tried that a couple of times and it was a royal pain in
    the keister. I prefer a plain bread-type stuffing; no apples, sausage,
    oysters, cherries or funky spices.
    I've not used the Pepperidge Farms brand, but usually the Stove Top
    brand stuffing works for me and any who partake of my meals.


    That's because you are White trash. Only White trash types use that
    [censored].
    It's full of trans fats because they figure that folks like you are
    too stupid to know the difference.

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Jack N2MPU
    Proud NRA Life Member


    --Bryan

    It is certainly not something that I use, but its only serious
    nutritional flaw seems to be a heavy hand with the sodium. No
    transfats at all in the product itself, as you can see below

    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 110 Calories from Fat 20
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 2.5g 4%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 460mg 19%
    Potassium 1mg 0%

    Total Carbohydrate 20g 7%
    Dietary Fiber <1g 3%
    Sugars 2g
    Protein 3g

    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 6%

    None of the Pepperidge Farm stuffing mixes have transfats, either. See
    info at link below.
    http://www.campbellwellness.com/product-list.asp?brandCatID=743&brandID=4&productID=11834&catID=341

    Now, what was that about someone being stupid?

    Boron

    um, uh. transfats are bad!

    Quoted message said:

    🙂

    --

    Sarah Gray

  15. Sarah Gray said:

    Boron Elgar wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Boron

    um, uh. transfats are bad!

    Quoted message said:

    🙂

    And did I say they were good?

    boron

  16. Sarah Gray said:
    Bobo Bonobo® said:

    Notice that they didn't put INGREDIENTS on their website.
    They don't want you to see, "Partially hydrogenated..."

    Quoted message said:

    > Now, what was that about someone being stupid?
    > Boron
    um, uh. transfats are bad!

    And there in no excuse for putting it in your products.

    Quoted message said:

    So don't buy them.

    Simple solution, isn't it?
    --
    -Gina in Italy

    http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
    I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com

  17. Boron Elgar said:
    Sarah Gray said:

    Boron Elgar wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Boron


    um, uh. transfats are bad!

    Quoted message said:

    🙂

    And did I say they were good?

    boron

    I was trying to be funny. I should probably go to bed earlier 🙂

    --

    Sarah Gray

  18. Boron Elgar said:

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:37:39 -0800, Bobo Bonobo® <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jack said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Gregory Morrow <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > All those commercial stuffings are ghastly, full of all kinds of
    > schmutz additives...better to make your own from scratch, it's very
    > easy.
    > --
    > Best
    > Greg

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hate to differ, but it isn't all that easy to make stuffing/dressing
    from scratch. Tried that a couple of times and it was a royal pain in
    the keister. I prefer a plain bread-type stuffing; no apples, sausage,
    oysters, cherries or funky spices.
    I've not used the Pepperidge Farms brand, but usually the Stove Top
    brand stuffing works for me and any who partake of my meals.

    Quoted message said:

    That's because you are White trash. Only White trash types use that
    [censored].
    It's full of trans fats because they figure that folks like you are
    too stupid to know the difference.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    --
    Jack N2MPU
    Proud NRA Life Member

    Quoted message said:

    --Bryan

    It is certainly not something that I use, but its only serious
    nutritional flaw seems to be a heavy hand with the sodium. No
    transfats at all in the product itself, as you can see below

    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 110 Calories from Fat 20
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 2.5g 4%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 460mg 19%
    Potassium 1mg 0%

    Total Carbohydrate 20g 7%
    Dietary Fiber <1g 3%
    Sugars 2g
    Protein 3g

    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 6%

    None of the Pepperidge Farm stuffing mixes have transfats, either. See
    info at link below.http://www.campbellwellness.com/product-list.asp?brandCatID=743&brand...

    Now, what was that about someone being stupid?

    Just because the fascist US govt. allows them to put 0g trans fat on
    the label, doesn't mean that it has none, just <0.5g per serving.
    Read the actual INGREDIENTS:

    Ingredients
    Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin
    Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean
    and/or Cottonseed Oil, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, Contains Less
    than 2% of Spice, Yeast Parsley (Dried), Cooked Chicken and Chicken
    Broth, Hydrolyzed Soy and Corn Protein, Celery (Dried), Monosodium
    Glutamate, Soy Flour, Onions (Dried), Sugar, Whey (From Milk), Corn
    Syrup (Dried), Garlic (Dried), Caramel Color, Turmeric disodium
    Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate, Sulfites (Preservative), Corn Oil, BHA
    and BHT as Preservatives, Natural Flavor.
    source -- http://www.amazon.com/Stove-Top-Stuffing-Homestyle-Canisters/dp/B000FKEWYA

    Ingredients
    Monosodium Glutamate, Parsley (Dried), Whey (from Milk), Corn Syrup
    (Dried), Spice, Sugar, Caramel Color, Turmeric, Disodium Guanylate,
    Disodium Inosinate, Sulfites (Preservative), Corn Oil, BHA and BHT as
    Preservatives, Natural Flavor. Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour,
    Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid),
    Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oils, High Fructose
    Corn Syrup, Salt, Contains Less than 2% of Cooked Chicken and Chicken
    Broth, Hydrolyzed Soy and Corn Protein, Yeast, Celery (Dried), Onion
    (Dried), Soy Flour
    source - http://www.amazon.com/Stove-Top-Stuffing-Chicken-Canisters/dp/B000FK9LLY

    NOTICE that on Kraft's OWN website, they don't list the ingredients>
    http://www.kraftfoodservice.com/productsandbrands/ProductSpecific.htm?option=product&id=811
    They've made a fool out of you.

    I didn't spend too much time on looking for the Pep Farms, but look at
    their standards by what's in this other product:
    http://www.campbellwellness.com/product-list.asp?brandID=4&brandCatID=825&productID=112193&catID=378
    In fact, the only stuffing mix I've ever seen that didn't have [censored] in
    it came from Whole Foods. I think the brand was Chatham House.

    Quoted message said:


    Boron

    --Bryan

  19. Sarah Gray said:
    Boron Elgar said:

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:37:39 -0800, Bobo Bonobo® <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Nov 13, 6:31 am, Jack <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > Gregory Morrow <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> All those commercial stuffings are ghastly, full of all kinds of
    >> schmutz additives...better to make your own from scratch, it's very
    >> easy.
    >> --
    >> Best
    >> Greg
    > Hate to differ, but it isn't all that easy to make stuffing/dressing
    > from scratch. Tried that a couple of times and it was a royal pain in
    > the keister. I prefer a plain bread-type stuffing; no apples, sausage,
    > oysters, cherries or funky spices.
    > I've not used the Pepperidge Farms brand, but usually the Stove Top
    > brand stuffing works for me and any who partake of my meals.
    That's because you are White trash. Only White trash types use that
    [censored].
    It's full of trans fats because they figure that folks like you are
    too stupid to know the difference.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > --
    > Jack N2MPU
    > Proud NRA Life Member
    --Bryan

    Quoted message said:

    It is certainly not something that I use, but its only serious
    nutritional flaw seems to be a heavy hand with the sodium. No
    transfats at all in the product itself, as you can see below

    Quoted message said:

    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 110 Calories from Fat 20
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 2.5g 4%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 460mg 19%
    Potassium 1mg 0%

    Quoted message said:

    Total Carbohydrate 20g 7%
    Dietary Fiber <1g 3%
    Sugars 2g
    Protein 3g

    Quoted message said:

    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 6%

    Quoted message said:

    None of the Pepperidge Farm stuffing mixes have transfats, either. See
    info at link below.
    http://www.campbellwellness.com/product-list.asp?brandCatID=743&brand....

    Notice that they didn't put INGREDIENTS on their website.
    They don't want you to see, "Partially hydrogenated..."

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Now, what was that about someone being stupid?

    Quoted message said:

    Boron

    um, uh. transfats are bad!

    And there in no excuse for putting it in your products.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    🙂

    --

    Sarah Gray

    --Bryan

  20. Bobo Bonobo® said...

    Quoted message said:

    Just because the fascist US govt. allows them to put 0g trans fat on
    the label, doesn't mean that it has none, just <0.5g per serving.
    Read the actual INGREDIENTS:

    Quoted message said:

    Ingredients
    Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oil,
    High Fructose Corn Syrup
    Monosodium Glutamate,
    BHA and BHT as Preservatives

    Quoted message said:

    Ingredients
    Monosodium Glutamate
    BHA and BHT as Preservatives
    Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oils
    High Fructose Corn Syrup

    It's processed food. What do you expect, good health?

    Andy

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.