General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Perfect 1 man wild camping tent does it exist?

Started by Gazman · · Last activity · 33 posts · 366 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
7 May 2007
Last activity
14 May 2007
Original author
Gazman
Posts
33
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
366
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 33
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi All,

    Can anyone recommend a perfect or near perfect wild camping tent.

    It should be 3 season
    Weigh around 2 kg
    Have a porch
    Be at least 1metre high at highest internal point
    Green in colour
    Not single skin

    Thanks in Advance

    Gaz

  2. Gazman said:

    Can anyone recommend a perfect or near perfect wild camping tent.

    It should be 3 season
    Weigh around 2 kg
    Have a porch
    Be at least 1metre high at highest internal point
    Green in colour
    Not single skin

    Hilleberg Nallo 2 hits all the marks, slightly over the weight at
    2.1 Kg but you do say "around". It will easily take 2, so plenty
    of room if it's just you. The porch is a good size but you can
    unhook the front of the inner for much more cooking space in
    bogging weather.
    See http://www.hilleberg.se/default-e.HTM

    A Saunders Spacepacker Mk1 is 97 cm at its highest, but has two
    porches and is otherwise up to spec. The "Plus" model is 103, but
    weighs in at 2.2 Kg as opposed to 1.9 Kg. See
    http://www.robertsaunders.co.uk/
    Each will take two, but the standard Spacepacker doesn't really
    work well with 2 if they're tall (say, 5'10" +).

    http://www.lightwave.uk.com/ us Lightwave's site, look at the T0,
    T0 XT and T1 ultra, they all seem to fit the bill (T0 is strictly
    for 1, T1 will do 2). Very nice tents, but a little bit of a pain
    to put up compared to the others IMHO, especially the Hilleberg.

    I'm sure there are others, but that'll be a start.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. check laser competition thread?

    "Gazman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi All,

    Can anyone recommend a perfect or near perfect wild camping tent.

    It should be 3 season
    Weigh around 2 kg
    Have a porch
    Be at least 1metre high at highest internal point
    Green in colour
    Not single skin

    Thanks in Advance

    Gaz

  4. Gazman said:

    Can anyone recommend a perfect or near perfect wild camping tent.

    It should be 3 season
    Weigh around 2 kg
    Have a porch
    Be at least 1metre high at highest internal point
    Green in colour
    Not single skin

    Porch is a bit small, but otherwise this fits the bill. And you can't beat
    the price.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B000N6J8RC/new?tag2=ciaouk-21

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

  5. Bryan Hall said:

    check laser competition thread?

    95 cm at its highest, so a couple of inches short (as is the Laser,
    and LaserLarge) Akto is 90 cm so even lower.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  6. Paul Saunders said:
    Gazman said:

    Can anyone recommend a perfect or near perfect wild camping tent.

    Quoted message said:

    It should be 3 season
    Weigh around 2 kg
    Have a porch
    Be at least 1metre high at highest internal point
    Green in colour
    Not single skin

    Porch is a bit small, but otherwise this fits the bill. And you can't beat
    the price.http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B000N6J...

    Paul
    --http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

    On the basis that you can buy 5 of these - in fact possibly 10 - for
    the price of some of the others recommended, I would go with the old
    Argos Pro Action tent any day. Buy 10, use one for a year and chuck
    it - would you get 10 years hard use out of the others ?

    Rob

  7. Rob G said:

    On the basis that you can buy 5 of these - in fact possibly 10 - for
    the price of some of the others recommended, I would go with the old
    Argos Pro Action tent any day. Buy 10, use one for a year and chuck
    it - would you get 10 years hard use out of the others ?

    I don't see why not... My Spacepacker is now celebrating it's 10th
    anniversary with no obvious signs of decomposition and is still
    fully waterproof. My dad's Spacepacker Plus must be about 15 years
    old and is similarly fine.

    And in all that time I''ve had far more porch and cooking space
    every time I've pitched, and been rather more confident of the tear
    strength of the flysheet when the weather's included gale force
    winds, and had better ventilation.

    While the Pro-action is indeed amazing value for money I really
    don't see the point of using it to "save" another tent which has
    been engineered to last for years and years in any case and in the
    meantime has more comfortable and reliable space. Value for money
    at £20 is actually rather bad if you've already got something else
    that does the job better in any case.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  8. Gazman said:

    Hi All,

    Can anyone recommend a perfect or near perfect wild camping tent.

    It should be 3 season
    Weigh around 2 kg
    Have a porch
    Be at least 1metre high at highest internal point
    Green in colour
    Not single skin

    www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/Cat/133878?Ref=124108

    Width:130cm
    Length:220cm
    Height:100cm
    Weight 1.95kg

    Advertised as a 2 man.

  9. In message <[email hidden]>, Rob G
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Paul Saunders said:
    Gazman said:

    Can anyone recommend a perfect or near perfect wild camping tent.

    Quoted message said:

    It should be 3 season
    Weigh around 2 kg
    Have a porch
    Be at least 1metre high at highest internal point
    Green in colour
    Not single skin

    Porch is a bit small, but otherwise this fits the bill. And you can't beat
    the
    price.http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B00
    0N6J...

    Paul
    --http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

    On the basis that you can buy 5 of these - in fact possibly 10 - for
    the price of some of the others recommended, I would go with the old
    Argos Pro Action tent any day. Buy 10, use one for a year and chuck
    it - would you get 10 years hard use out of the others ?


    You'll certainly get ten years hard use out of the Akto. I have. & out
    of other Hilleberg tents too.

    It depends where you're going to camp of course but I'd rather have a
    reliable tent than a cheap one.
    --
    Chris Townsend

    http://www.auchnarrow.demon.co.uk

  10. Peter Clinch said:
    Rob G said:

    On the basis that you can buy 5 of these - in fact possibly 10 - for
    the price of some of the others recommended, I would go with the old
    Argos Pro Action tent any day. Buy 10, use one for a year and chuck
    it

    Why chuck it? I've got three and I'm still on the first one. Can't remember
    exactly when I bought it, but I think I was using it at the 2003 anniversary
    expedition.

    Quoted message said:

    And in all that time I''ve had far more porch and cooking space
    every time I've pitched,

    Depending on the weather, you don't always need a lot of porch space. Having
    said that, I've always managed to cook okay, even in bad weather. You can
    unhook the inner from the front of the porch and roll it back for cooking if
    the weather is really foul.

    Quoted message said:

    and been rather more confident of the tear
    strength of the flysheet when the weather's included gale force
    winds, and had better ventilation.

    To be honest, I've felt more confident in the Pro Action than the Laser when
    it's been windy. It may just be psychological, but the pro-action feels more
    solid in wind.

    Quoted message said:

    Value for money
    at £20 is actually rather bad if you've already got something else
    that does the job better in any case.

    But for which value of better? As you've often pointed out you have
    different tents for different situations, and there are some situations
    where I prefer to use the Pro Action. For example if I expect to camp on
    rough or thorny ground I'd rather use my cheap tent than risk my Laser's
    groundsheet getting holed.

    I also prefer to use it on campsites rather than leave an expensive tent
    there while I go off walking.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

  11. Paul Saunders said:

    Why chuck it? I've got three and I'm still on the first one. Can't remember
    exactly when I bought it, but I think I was using it at the 2003 anniversary
    expedition.

    Which rather suggests you may have rather over-indulged in
    "bargains"... How have the 2nd and 3rd justified their cost so far?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And in all that time I''ve had far more porch and cooking space
    every time I've pitched,

    Depending on the weather, you don't always need a lot of porch space. Having
    said that, I've always managed to cook okay, even in bad weather. You can
    unhook the inner from the front of the porch and roll it back for cooking if
    the weather is really foul.

    But we're left with the fact that at the same or slightly more
    weight than my tent you've got less usable space (and thus comfort)
    than I have. The fact that your tent cost £15 and mine cost £250
    isn't really an issue, because I paid that 10 years ago and it's a
    non-issue now (or rather the insurance company did, replacing one
    that went in a burglary that I'd bought 7 years before that).

    Quoted message said:

    To be honest, I've felt more confident in the Pro Action than the Laser when
    it's been windy. It may just be psychological, but the pro-action feels more
    solid in wind.

    It may well be, but the Laser is designed to be light at almost all
    costs and is quite a bit lighter than the OP's target weight, where
    my Spacepacker is almost certainly stronger, with a stouter pole,
    heavier (though similar quality) fabrics and more aerodynamic profile.

    Quoted message said:

    But for which value of better? As you've often pointed out you have
    different tents for different situations, and there are some situations
    where I prefer to use the Pro Action. For example if I expect to camp on
    rough or thorny ground I'd rather use my cheap tent than risk my Laser's
    groundsheet getting holed.

    But I can't think of a situation where I'd want the Pro-Action
    rather than the Spacepacker, so pretty much any value of better
    from my point of view. When I use it on rough ground I'll use an
    extra groundsheet (an old plastic bivvi bag is fine), but the
    groundsheet it has will almost certainly be of higher quality and
    need less protection in any case. I've been doing that for a decade
    and it's still fine, and it still weighs less than the P-A, and has
    more space, more porches and more doors.

    Quoted message said:

    I also prefer to use it on campsites rather than leave an expensive tent
    there while I go off walking.

    That's fair enough but not really much of an issue in Scotland, to
    be honest. Also, Spacepackers are probably off the radar of most
    tent thieves because Saunders is no longer such a "visible"
    name,certainly compared to Terra Nova or Hilleberg, and more to the
    point if I'm keeping a cheap tent for car-camping use I'd much
    sooner it was a *big* one, preferably with standing room.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  12. Peter Clinch said:

    I'm keeping a cheap tent for car-camping use I'd much
    sooner it was a *big* one, preferably with standing room.

    So the PA-1 should be fine, Pete!

    ;-)

    Judith

  13. On 7 May, 20:07, Chris Townsend <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Rob G
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Paul Saunders said:

    Gazman wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a perfect or near perfect wild camping tent.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > It should be 3 season
    > Weigh around 2 kg
    > Have a porch
    > Be at least 1metre high at highest internal point
    > Green in colour
    > Not single skin

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Porch is a bit small, but otherwise this fits the bill. And you can't beat
    the
    price.http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B00
    0N6J...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Paul
    --http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

    Quoted message said:

    On the basis that you can buy 5 of these - in fact possibly 10 - for
    the price of some of the others recommended, I would go with the old
    Argos Pro Action tent any day. Buy 10, use one for a year and chuck
    it - would you get 10 years hard use out of the others ?

    You'll certainly get ten years hard use out of the Akto. I have. & out
    of other Hilleberg tents too.

    It depends where you're going to camp of course but I'd rather have a
    reliable tent than a cheap one.
    --
    Chris Townsend

    http://www.auchnarrow.demon.co.uk

    Well there was a time when I had my head sufficiently up my posterior
    that I would have believed that a £220 tent was 10 times better than a
    £20 tent. 10 times better for my status - yes.

    Rob

  14. Rob G said:

    Well there was a time when I had my head sufficiently up my posterior
    that I would have believed that a £220 tent was 10 times better than a
    £20 tent. 10 times better for my status - yes.

    It's not that simple though... Is my tent "10 times better" than a
    Pro Action? How do you quantify that? Fact is, when I'm camping
    it's something I do to enjoy as much as possible. I will enjoy it
    more with a lighter, roomier, stronger tent, and if I can afforf
    the better tent then the fact that I had to spend the money is no
    longer part of the equation: the object was to have the most
    possible enjoyment, so unless you find your camping enjoyment
    greatly enhanced by your bank account being £180 bigger then the
    cost is a moot point.

    Value for money is very important where your available budget is
    lower than what you'd /really/ like, but if you've got the money
    then you might as well get what you really like, and which leads to
    you maximising your enjoyment when you're out playing your
    favourite games with the relevant toys.

    At the moment Roos and I are looking at a new tent that hits
    different spots from the ones we have. We're only worrying about
    cost where all else is equal, because we've got the budget for any
    of our contenders. That we could buy 10-20 Pro Action tents
    instead isn't much of an issue, they don't actually do what we want
    when they're pitched in the wild as well as alternatives.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  15. In message <[email hidden]>, Rob
    G <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    On 7 May, 20:07, Chris Townsend <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Rob G
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    On 7 May, 19:12, "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > Gazman wrote:
    > > Can anyone recommend a perfect or near perfect wild camping tent.

    Quoted message said:

    > > It should be 3 season
    > > Weigh around 2 kg
    > > Have a porch
    > > Be at least 1metre high at highest internal point
    > > Green in colour
    > > Not single skin

    Quoted message said:

    > Porch is a bit small, but otherwise this fits the bill. And you can't beat
    > the
    >price.http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B00
    >0N6J...

    Quoted message said:

    > Paul
    > --http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

    Quoted message said:

    On the basis that you can buy 5 of these - in fact possibly 10 - for
    the price of some of the others recommended, I would go with the old
    Argos Pro Action tent any day. Buy 10, use one for a year and chuck
    it - would you get 10 years hard use out of the others ?

    You'll certainly get ten years hard use out of the Akto. I have. & out
    of other Hilleberg tents too.

    It depends where you're going to camp of course but I'd rather have a
    reliable tent than a cheap one.
    --
    Chris Townsend

    http://www.auchnarrow.demon.co.uk

    Well there was a time when I had my head sufficiently up my posterior
    that I would have believed that a £220 tent was 10 times better than a
    £20 tent. 10 times better for my status - yes.

    Nothing to do with status unless you camp where others can see you,
    which I prefer not to do. For the little car camping I do I'd rather use
    a big tent, which doesn't need to be cost much.

    It's impossible to say whether one tent is 10X better than another.
    There are so many variables. The Akto would make a poor car camping
    tent, for example. There are many much cheaper tents that would be far
    better. The Akto would also make a very poor high altitude
    mountaineering tent - to get a good one you'd have to spend a great deal
    more. The Akto isn't even very good for backpacking in many areas such
    as the High Sierra of California, where you don't need a large porch as
    you can't cook in it due to the bears and you don't need a storm
    resistant tent as you can always camp in the woods. I use a tarp in
    areas like that. But for British backpacking especially in the Scottish
    Highlands the Akto is excellent. I've tested dozens of tents over the
    years, many more expensive than the Akto, but I haven't yet come across
    one that I think is as good for the Highlands.

    I doubt there are any tents as light as the Akto that are anything like
    as durable except for ones made from the same fabrics, which will cost
    around the same. As I'm regularly carrying the tent long distances and
    camping in remote spots I want a lightweight, tough tent I can rely on.

    --
    Chris Townsend

    http://www.auchnarrow.demon.co.uk

  16. Judith said:
    Peter Clinch said:

    I'm keeping a cheap tent for car-camping use I'd much
    sooner it was a *big* one, preferably with standing room.

    So the PA-1 should be fine, Pete!

    ;-)

    Married to a Dutch lady, I'm used to jokes about my lack of tallness... ;-)

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  17. "Peter Clinch" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Judith said:
    Peter Clinch said:

    I'm keeping a cheap tent for car-camping use I'd much sooner it was a
    *big* one, preferably with standing room.

    So the PA-1 should be fine, Pete!

    ;-)

    Married to a Dutch lady, I'm used to jokes about my lack of tallness...
    ;-)

    That's just small talk ;-)

    --
    "Beannachd leibh"

    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

  18. In message <[email hidden]>
    Chris Townsend <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    I doubt there are any tents as light as the Akto that are anything like
    as durable except for ones made from the same fabrics, which will cost
    around the same. As I'm regularly carrying the tent long distances and
    camping in remote spots I want a lightweight, tough tent I can rely on.

    My wife has been very happy with her Akto for solo backpacking trips,
    whilst our current main tent for shared use is a Nallo 2GT. This has
    been in regular use for all year round camping since our Quasar ETC came
    to the end of its useful life and hasn't been replaced.

    Despite the fact that the Nallo is not a geodesic dome and thus in
    theory should be less stable than the Quasar under some weather
    conditions we haven't had any major problems, even in winter camping
    trips.

    I'd recommend both the Nallo and the Akto as good solutions to the
    original question.

    Mike
    --
    o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
    <\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
    "> || _`\<,_ |__\ \> | immunology lecturer, antibody engineer and
    ` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user"

  19. I have looked at the tents you suggested and I've seen 2 versions of
    the same tent that looks good.

    its the Terra Nova Voyager & the Terra Nova Voyager superlite

    does anyone have any comments about these tents?

    Thanks

    Gaz

  20. Gazman said:

    I have looked at the tents you suggested and I've seen 2 versions of
    the same tent that looks good.

    its the Terra Nova Voyager & the Terra Nova Voyager superlite

    does anyone have any comments about these tents?

    The standard model is a bit heavier than some of the other
    suggestions so far at 2.2 Kg, and the porch isn't the greatest, but
    it's a solid tent that's been a well recieved part of the lineup at
    TN for many years now so it must be getting something right.

    Inner-first pitch makes it a bit of a pain to put up in nasty
    weather, and means you can't roll back the inner for more cooking
    space, but it hits the bases pretty well and none of the ctiticisms
    I'm putting forwards are deal breakers.

    The super light version won't be as robust and will need more care
    in use, but it'll be easier to carry: take your pick.

    Similar to the standard model is the ME Dragonfly with a similar 3
    pole setup, but that pitches all in one or fly first which, all
    else being equal (have a sit in each pitched to decide if it is)
    strikes me as a more user friendly way to go about things.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.