Permanent 600?

MartinM

Guest
Talking on Sunday about the rumours that ACP are going to introduce a 2
consecutive SR requirement for PBP entry in 2007, and as I'll be doing
all the other rides, I really ought to do a 600 this year. Problem is
all the calendared events are inconvenient dates. Perusing the
Permanents section there is an Epsom-Lincoln-Epsom which I'm
considering for the end of August. It says it's fairly flat, probably
not good PBP training but to get it out of the way for this year not a
bad idea. Anyone else interested?

BTW does a perm count towards the RRTY?

MartinM wrote:
> BTW does a perm count towards the RRTY?

Who was it that did the double-RRTY last year? Whoever it was, much was
made of the fact that he did it by riding only calendar events, the
implication being that he could have done it using perms. So I guess
the answer is yes.

I hope it is the case, otherwise I'll never have a chance of getting my
name in that particular section of the roll of honour.

d.

MartinM wrote:
> Talking on Sunday about the rumours that ACP are going to introduce a 2
> consecutive SR requirement for PBP entry in 2007, and as I'll be doing
> all the other rides, I really ought to do a 600 this year. Problem is
> all the calendared events are inconvenient dates. Perusing the
> Permanents section there is an Epsom-Lincoln-Epsom which I'm
> considering for the end of August. It says it's fairly flat, probably
> not good PBP training but to get it out of the way for this year not a
> bad idea. Anyone else interested?

Hmm... tempting. But I'm also considering the Maniac Grimpeur permanent
at some stage this summer. Fancy upgrading the flat 600 to a
wild-country 1000 with 17.25 AAA points? Remember 1000s are easier than
600s as the minimum speed is lower.

> BTW does a perm count towards the RRTY?

Most definitely. You can also do the same one over and over. You only
get AUK points for one but they can all be counted for RRTY.

--
Dave...

dkahn400 wrote:
> Maniac Grimpeur ... 17.25 AAA points

No thanks!

On a slightly less manic note, are you doing the Dean? You mentioned in
t'other thread "not a good idea if you're not used to the distance".
I'm really up for the Dean but I've only done the one 300 so far --
experience enough, do you reckon? The one I did was the Invicta 300,
which is far from flat, but I'd guess has considerably less than the
3900m of climbing cited for the Dean.

d.

davek wrote:

> On a slightly less manic note, are you doing the Dean? You mentioned in
> t'other thread "not a good idea if you're not used to the distance".
> I'm really up for the Dean but I've only done the one 300 so far --
> experience enough, do you reckon? The one I did was the Invicta 300,
> which is far from flat, but I'd guess has considerably less than the
> 3900m of climbing cited for the Dean.

Yes, I've entered it. I'm afraid you'll have to make the judgement call
for yourself based on your knowledge of your body and what you've done
so far this year. It is quite tough but I'd hate to put you off it or
build it up into something it's not. And there were Bunny Girls on the
route last year, don't forget. The Grazeley ride was tough in that
wind, and you got round that all right. If you're undecided, I'd say
have a go but take it fairly gently rather than going for an Alan
Holmes type pace.

--
Dave...

dkahn400 wrote:

Fancy upgrading the flat 600 to a
> wild-country 1000 with 17.25 AAA points?

this will take some thought.......

0.5 s later
thought about it
1.5 s later
forgotten about it ;-)

dkahn400 wrote:
>And there were Bunny Girls on the
> route last year, don't forget.

Yes! How could I forget... That's made my mind up...

d.

MartinM wrote:
> dkahn400 wrote:
>
> > Fancy upgrading the flat 600 to a
> > wild-country 1000 with 17.25 AAA points?

> this will take some thought.......
>
> 0.5 s later
> thought about it
> 1.5 s later
> forgotten about it ;-)

Now now, it should be fun. The organiser describes the route thus:
"This ride takes in much of the north of England. High and exposed
ground, unlit country lanes / B-roads, steep ascents / descents,
cattle-grids, loose animals. Challenging..."

There are a group of mainly northern auks, I think, considering a mass
attack on it. You could plan a hostel dart to get to the start, ride
round with them, and another hostel dart to get home again. 14 points
in the bag.

--
Dave...

dkahn400 wrote:

> Now now, it should be fun. The organiser describes the route thus:
> "This ride takes in much of the north of England. High and exposed
> ground, unlit country lanes / B-roads, steep ascents / descents,
> cattle-grids, loose animals. Challenging..."
>
> There are a group of mainly northern auks,

think I'll stay a Southern softie; are you looking to take Steve
Abrahams' "AUK's chief headbanger" title Dave ? ;-)

MartinM wrote:

> think I'll stay a Southern softie; are you looking to take Steve
> Abrahams' "AUK's chief headbanger" title Dave ? ;-)

You must be joking. Not even close. :)

--
Dave...