Pezcyclingnews: Lee’s Lowdown: Those Russians!

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
With the ‘discovery’ that Russian athletics has been embroiled in underhand doping practices, showing that the problem isn’t confined to cycling, Lee Rodgers asks the question ‘how deep does it go?’ That throws up the next question of ‘conflict of interest’. The doping road is far from straight and has many off-shoots, but seems to never reach its destination. I couldnt help but overhear the conversation the Englishman and the American on the seats across from me were having on the train yesterday.Chinese tourists have taken over!and the restaurant was good, but it suddenly filled up with a busload of Chinese tourists.I love Chinese tourists.Thats not a commonly held view.Well, before everyone used to hate American tourists. Now the Chinese tourists have taken overIt used to be American touristsSitting there, trying not to laugh, it struck me that for us cycling fans the Russians have become our Chinese tourists. After years of being branded the worst dopers in sports, the world now has proof that there are others just as bad if not even worse than cycling. It was fascinating to see Seb Coe, IAAF President, react with shock to the revelations that Russian athletics had an institutionalized system for doping when anyone connected to professional sports would only really be mildly surprised that they were actually being caught for something that the world had suspected for years. Indeed across many sports, so many dopers and dodgy doctors, managers et cetera are exposed these days that you would have to...

View the full article