Pezcyclingnews: Toolbox: Oatmeal € The Endurance Weapon

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
A popular food among cyclists and athletes, oatmeal is likely to be found in most cupboards and hotel rooms across the racing scene this season. A great choice for carbohydrates and one of the more economical quality carbohydrate choices available, and with so many practical uses in the kitchen!Oatmeal is an incredibly useful ingredient. I use oatmeal ground up in my meatballs, mixed with eggs for oatmeal pancakes, in my smoothies, in homemade bars, banana breads, muffins, homemade granola and of course as a good old fashion breakfast with yogurt and berries. Some of my racers have been known to mix protein powder or eggs right into their oatmeal as a regular pre-race staple meal. Life on the road sometimes requires simple practical solutions, and oatmeal makes a racers best friend by just adding hot water.Oat CategoriesThe question I often get is, Can I eat steel cut oats instead of quick oats? Whats the difference?There are several types of oatmeal. Lets provide an overview and how they are produced:1.Oat Groats: All oats start off as oat groats, which are hulled, toasted oat grains. The bran remains intact when they are hulled, retaining all nutrients.2.Steel cut (Irish) oats: This would be your least processed type of oatmeal. Oh the Hardy Irish! The toasted oat groats are chopped into small pieces about the size of a piece of quinoa. These take about 45 minutes to cook before eating and have a nice chewy texture loved by many.3.Stone ground (Scottish) oats: Scottish oats...

View the full article