Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Phil Tenacious Oil Changes???

Started by Gary Mishler · · Last activity · 10 posts · 1,113 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
10 July 2003
Last activity
14 July 2003
Original author
Gary Mishler
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,113
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I bought a new bottle of Phil Tenacious Oil today to replace my near empty bottle.

    In the previous bottle the oil was dyed green but in the new bottle it's a brownish/red color.

    Has the oil changed other than in color? If so, in what way(s)? Why?

    Thanks, Mish

  2. Ask 'Phil' at tech@philwood .com

    "Gary Mishler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:jB1Pa.22238$ye4.17329@sccrnsc01...

    Quoted message said:

    I bought a new bottle of Phil Tenacious Oil today to replace my near empty bottle.

    In the previous bottle the oil was dyed green but in the new bottle it's a brownish/red color.

    Has the oil changed other than in color? If so, in what way(s)? Why?

    Thanks, Mish

  3. "Doug Huffman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ask 'Phil' at tech@philwood .com

    I sent the same message to that email address when I posted to the NG. No answer yet, but I suppose
    they didn't get it until after business hours today.

  4. I bought a new bottle of Phil Tenacious Oil ......> In the previous bottle the oil was dyed green
    but in the new bottle it's a

    Quoted message said:

    brownish/red color.

    They may buy bulk oil and repackage it. By casual observation, Phil Tenacious is much like chainsaw
    lube. My 2 gallon container of chainsaw lube is contains brownish/red oil.

    Regards, Larry

  5. Lawrence Fieman' may have said:


    I bought a new bottle of Phil Tenacious Oil ......> In the previous bottle the oil was dyed green
    but in the new bottle it's a

    Quoted message said:

    brownish/red color.

    They may buy bulk oil and repackage it. By casual observation, Phil Tenacious is much like chainsaw
    lube. My 2 gallon container of chainsaw lube is contains brownish/red oil.

    Phil's website says they get it from a very specific and singular source, but it's possible that the
    coloring agent was left out. Dyes. after all, don't add anything to the ability of the oil to
    lubricate, but they do add to its ability to stain.

    ---
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.

    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  6. I just spoke to Brent at Phil Wood, here's the skinny:

    They never used any "dye." There was, however an additive that gave it the green color.

    They have switched to a new, better additive, but this one isn't green.

    I'm lobbying them to do another production run of the frame mount bottle cages they had a few years
    ago to fit their oil bottles.

    Sheldon "My Favorite Lube" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------+
    | The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep. | --W. C. Fields |
    +--------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,
    Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 harriscyclery.comharriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
    shipped Worldwide captainbike.comcaptainbike.com sheldonbrown.comsheldonbrown.com

  7. "Sheldon Brown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I just spoke to Brent at Phil Wood, here's the skinny:

    They never used any "dye." There was, however an additive that gave it the green color.

    They have switched to a new, better additive, but this one isn't green.

    I'm lobbying them to do another production run of the frame mount bottle cages they had a few
    years ago to fit their oil bottles.

    Thanks Sheldon!

  8. I agree- when you apply either Phil Wood or chainsaw oil to a chain and then spin the crank, the oil
    creates short-lived "spider webs" due to viscosity. They seem very similar to me, except that Phil
    Wood oil costs around $6 for four ounces, and chainsaw oil costs around a buck for 16 ounces. You do
    the math. I've found that although Phil Wood oil tenaciously sticks to your chain, road dirt, grit,
    and sand will tenaciously stick to it as well. I've been using Boeshield T9 and I'm OK with it (at
    least until somebody points me to something better).

    Lawrence Fieman said:

    I bought a new bottle of Phil Tenacious Oil ......> In the previous bottle the oil was dyed green
    but in the new bottle it's a

    Quoted message said:

    brownish/red color.

    They may buy bulk oil and repackage it. By casual observation, Phil Tenacious is much like
    chainsaw lube. My 2 gallon container of chainsaw lube is contains brownish/red oil.

    Regards, Larry

  9. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Or a quart of Mobil One-lasts forever and is about $3.50

    What viscosity, or does it matter?

  10. (Qui si parla Campagnolo) may have said:

    gary-<< What viscosity, or does it matter? >><BR><BR>

    I use 5w-15

    And that's probably as close to an all-temperature lube as you can get; I wouldn't expect it to
    cause things to get excessively stiff in cold weather.

    ---
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.

    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.