General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Philly Cheesesteak

Started by Vilco · · Last activity · 36 posts · 258 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 August 2007
Last activity
21 August 2007
Original author
Vilco
Posts
36
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
258
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–36 of 36
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Andy" <q> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Giusi said...
    YIKES. I didn't realize things were so mixed up in Italy. 🙁

    I still must visit, if only to kiss Pandora!

    Andy

    We are nothing if not regional. Anyway, in Italy you kiss everybody by the
    second time you meet them. Unless you hate them or they hate you, although
    I see that happen too.

  2. "Vilco" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...
    Heh, leftover fiorentina would be a novelty for me 😉

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Vilco

    Then how about this one? Mince your own lean beef. Mince very finely a
    clove of garlic. Mix them together with a bit of salt. Pile the meat
    mixture onto 1/2 of a baguette, spreading it around to cover the bread. The
    other half of the baguette is lightly oiled.

    Put the meat side under a very hot grill for a few minutes until the beef
    browns but is rare inside. A couple of minutes before you think it will be
    done, slip the naked one under the grill and toast it. Rub with garlic like
    a bruschetta when it comes out. Then smear it generously with Roquefort or
    Gorgonzola. Put the two halves together and eat like a maialino.

  3. Giusi said...

    Quoted message said:


    "Andy" <q> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Giusi said...
    YIKES. I didn't realize things were so mixed up in Italy. 🙁

    I still must visit, if only to kiss Pandora!

    Andy

    We are nothing if not regional. Anyway, in Italy you kiss everybody by
    the second time you meet them. Unless you hate them or they hate you,
    although I see that happen too.

    Grazie.

    Andy

  4. Giusi said:

    Then how about this one? Mince your own lean beef. Mince very
    finely a clove of garlic. Mix them together with a bit of salt. Pile the
    meat mixture onto 1/2 of a baguette, spreading it around to
    cover the bread. The other half of the baguette is lightly oiled.

    Put the meat side under a very hot grill for a few minutes until the
    beef browns but is rare inside. A couple of minutes before you think
    it will be done, slip the naked one under the grill and toast it. Rub with
    garlic like a bruschetta when it comes out. Then smear it
    generously with Roquefort or Gorgonzola. Put the two halves together
    and eat like a maialino.

    Sheesh, that's a must-try!
    --
    Vilco
    Think pink, drink rose'

  5. "Giusi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    We are nothing if not regional. Anyway, in Italy you kiss everybody by
    the second time you meet them.

    Yuk!
    Dee Dee

  6. Andy said:
    Quoted message said:

    We are nothing if not regional. Anyway, in Italy you kiss everybody
    by the second time you meet them. Unless you hate them or they hate
    you, although I see that happen too.

    Quoted message said:

    Grazie.

    So, when you read "kisses" at the end of a letter from an italian, remember
    that it's not just a formality 😉
    --
    Vilco
    Think pink, drink rose'

  7. On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:37:10 +0200, "Giusi" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Andy" <q> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Vilco said...
    Don't go giving Vilco a helping hand. There's NO way to do a Philly
    cheesesteak across borders! Sounds like it might turn into something worth
    visiting Italy for.

    Quite possibly a new tourism avenue!!!

    "Honey, I feel like a PhillyItalia Cheesesteak!"
    Andy

    It could be a Balognasteak, yes? It's never going to be more than a niche
    fancy, don't worry. It's got too much competition here. Like salt-crusted
    ciabatta with tuna and artichoke. Or big crusty rolls jammed with
    mozzarella bufala and marinated tomatoes in Campania. Torta al testo,
    tigelle, piadina... and the list could be endless.


    YUM! I'm a sandwich person, so I think I'm gonna like Italy.

    --
    See return address to reply by email

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Vilco said:
    Stan Horwitz said:
    Quoted message said:

    I tried it out yesterday evening with two friends and it turned out
    great! I learned three things: I should use a less tough bread (I
    didn't find my beloved ciabatta, which would have been perfect), I
    have to use less cheese and I must buy a dozen jars of this Choice
    Foods (UK) habanero sauce: it's flaming hot.
    As meat I used carpaccio, it's already cut about 1/16" thick and
    comes from a tender part, so tender it gets to be eaten uncooked.
    The cheese was asiago, not pressed nor aged, a good choice; maybe
    I'll try out caciotta too.
    Before trying pimped versions w/ meatballs, 'shrooms or else, I want
    to bring this dish a little nearer to perfection than what it was
    yesterday. Ciabatta, that's the main issue.

    Quoted message said:

    Speaking as a born and raised Philadelphian, what you made does not
    sound like a real Philly cheese steak sandwich to me,

    And where are the differences? I followed one of the many "original recipes"
    and followed it htoroughly, except for the cheez-whiz.

    Sorry for the late response. Habanero sauce is not at all traditional on
    a Philly cheese steak, nor is carpaccio. The cheese is not right either.
    Here's the definitive way to make a Philly cheese steak ...

    http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/recipe.htm

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Vilco said:
    Giusi said:
    Quoted message said:

    So, what's the most adpat bread you have seen in Italy? Not ciabatta,
    which is crusty, but then?

    Quoted message said:

    I do not know the name and have never bought them, but I have seen
    some elongated rolls about 30 cm long that are soft in those bins.

    Should be "sfilatini"... mmm, they tend to be a bit "dense", I imagine that
    in Philly they use somewhat "lighter" bread...
    Are those "hoagie rolls" as light as hamburger buns? Or are they denser?

    They are about half way between an American style hamburger roll and
    French baguette in texture. The crust is chewy, but not too thick.

  10. "Stan Horwitz" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Vilco said:

    Stan Horwitz wrote:


    Sorry for the late response. Habanero sauce is not at all traditional on
    a Philly cheese steak, nor is carpaccio. The cheese is not right either.
    Here's the definitive way to make a Philly cheese steak ...

    http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/recipe.htm

    But Stan, they don't sell all that pre-made stuff here! Carpaccio is simply
    very thinly sliced meat, so to me it's ideal although the quality may be
    much higher than what cheese steak stands use. Vilco is simply exploring
    what can be bought here that will work more or less as intended, and he may
    very well end up with a sandwich that's better than what is made in Philly.
    I think the Philly cheese steak started way before all the short cuts came
    into the stores. Plus your recipe mention Provolone as a possibility,
    although it is much better here. Before hoagies and cheese steaks became
    ubiquitous, each place that offered them had their own idea as to bread and
    cheese.

    Like the hamburger, which I ate all my life, today's cheapo and today's
    luxurious hamburger don't much resemble the typical hamburger that was 35
    cents at every drive-in and drugstore lunch counter.

  11. Note to Vilco: the closest approximation to Cheez Whiz available here is
    Kraft Sottilette.

  12. cheez whiz?
    oh yuck!
    🙂

    "Stan Horwitz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Vilco said:
    Stan Horwitz said:

    > I tried it out yesterday evening with two friends and it turned out
    > great! I learned three things: I should use a less tough bread (I
    > didn't find my beloved ciabatta, which would have been perfect), I
    > have to use less cheese and I must buy a dozen jars of this Choice
    > Foods (UK) habanero sauce: it's flaming hot.
    > As meat I used carpaccio, it's already cut about 1/16" thick and
    > comes from a tender part, so tender it gets to be eaten uncooked.
    > The cheese was asiago, not pressed nor aged, a good choice; maybe
    > I'll try out caciotta too.
    > Before trying pimped versions w/ meatballs, 'shrooms or else, I want
    > to bring this dish a little nearer to perfection than what it was
    > yesterday. Ciabatta, that's the main issue.

    Quoted message said:

    Speaking as a born and raised Philadelphian, what you made does not
    sound like a real Philly cheese steak sandwich to me,

    And where are the differences? I followed one of the many "original
    recipes"
    and followed it htoroughly, except for the cheez-whiz.

    Sorry for the late response. Habanero sauce is not at all traditional on
    a Philly cheese steak, nor is carpaccio. The cheese is not right either.
    Here's the definitive way to make a Philly cheese steak ...

    http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/recipe.htm

  13. Giusi said:

    Note to Vilco: the closest approximation to Cheez Whiz available here is
    Kraft Sottilette.

    LOL, I use them in so many sandwiches... just friday night I cooked sausages
    (no garlic, fennel, , herbs: just salt & pepper in that meat) with yellow
    onion, put sottilette to melt on that mix and then I put it all on a
    hamburger / hotdog bun. Ketchup at hand on the table, but on mine I used
    just the hot sauce.
    My friend loved them, sometimes junk food can make better impression than a
    fancy dish 😉
    My ratio is 3 sottilette every sandwich.
    --
    Vilco
    Think pink, drink rose'

  14. "Vilco" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Giusi said:

    Note to Vilco: the closest approximation to Cheez Whiz available here is
    Kraft Sottilette.


    My ratio is 3 sottilette every sandwich.
    --
    Vilco

    Argh!

  15. Giusi said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Note to Vilco: the closest approximation to Cheez Whiz available
    here is Kraft Sottilette.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My ratio is 3 sottilette every sandwich.

    Quoted message said:

    Argh!

    ROTFL! I should add that my friend ate only one of her two sandwiches, so I
    ate three, which amounts to a total of 9 sottilette. I remember I thougth
    worrily about it, then just forgot it 🙂
    --
    Vilco
    Think pink, drink rose'

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Giusi said:

    "Stan Horwitz" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Vilco said:

    Stan Horwitz wrote:


    Sorry for the late response. Habanero sauce is not at all traditional on
    a Philly cheese steak, nor is carpaccio. The cheese is not right either.
    Here's the definitive way to make a Philly cheese steak ...

    http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/recipe.htm

    But Stan, they don't sell all that pre-made stuff here! Carpaccio is simply
    very thinly sliced meat, so to me it's ideal although the quality may be
    much higher than what cheese steak stands use. Vilco is simply exploring
    what can be bought here that will work more or less as intended, and he may
    very well end up with a sandwich that's better than what is made in Philly.
    I think the Philly cheese steak started way before all the short cuts came
    into the stores. Plus your recipe mention Provolone as a possibility,
    although it is much better here. Before hoagies and cheese steaks became
    ubiquitous, each place that offered them had their own idea as to bread and
    cheese.

    I see your point. In fact, I am reminded of a time a few years ago where
    I was walking around the campus of Stanford University looking for their
    bookstore when I found a student cafeteria and it just happened to be
    lunch time and I was hungry. I walked in and a sign near the entrance
    said the special of the day was a Philly cheese steak sandwich. I was
    curious how it would taste, so I ordered one.

    What I got was some sliced hot roast beef and a french roll. The roll
    was sliced horizontally and they sandwich had some pineapple too. The
    sandwich was quite good but it was not at all like a traditional Philly
    cheesesteak, but considering I was three thousand miles away from
    Philly, I was not terribly surprised.

    Quoted message said:

    Like the hamburger, which I ate all my life, today's cheapo and today's
    luxurious hamburger don't much resemble the typical hamburger that was 35
    cents at every drive-in and drugstore lunch counter.

    Really? What's the difference?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.