Pimp my Power Blog

frenchyge

Apr 3, 2005
There are several excellent 'Power Blogs' listed here on trainwithpower.net, and I'm always surprised to see new ones popping up here and there. They're fun to read and great to follow.

If anyone's seen a power blog worthy of pimping, please pimp it here. :cool:

frenchyge said:
There are several excellent 'Power Blogs' listed here on trainwithpower.net, and I'm always surprised to see new ones popping up here and there. They're fun to read and great to follow.

Ever heard of a guy named SLY, Tyson, Sillyoldtwith. Anyway, I think he had a blog/thread one time called It's killing me. Maybe you've heard of it?:rolleyes: LOL

frenchyge said:

I hope mine's one of the entertaining ones;) . I have a lot of different ideas on things to write about, so I'm gunna keep it up.

Apart from sharing the love (of the sport and training/racing with PMs), it's also a kind of public accountability for myself!
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/

Alex Simmons said:
I hope mine's one of the entertaining ones;) . I have a lot of different ideas on things to write about, so I'm gunna keep it up.

Apart from sharing the love (of the sport and training/racing with PMs), it's also a kind of public accountability for myself!
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/
It was actually a bit educational from my perspective - your discussion on the performance manager chart was helpful. Especially as the latter wasn't covered in as a great detail in the book, as other topics were~!

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
It was actually a bit educational from my perspective - your discussion on the performance manager chart was helpful. Especially as the latter wasn't covered in as a great detail in the book, as other topics were~!
OK - well that's good to know.

The book came out before the PMC was finalised and released so can't blame the authors for that! There is a discussion which eludes to chronic and acute training loads but at a less sophisticated level than is dealt with by the PMC. But Andy & Hunter made up for it by posting articles on the CP web site explaining it - which is kind of a free extra chapter.

And Frank Overton did a teaser item on Pez here:
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=3331

And other bloggers are into it...

Like I said - I will post more on my own experience in due course.

Alex Simmons said:
OK - well that's good to know.

The book came out before the PMC was finalised and released so can't blame the authors for that! There is a discussion which eludes to chronic and acute training loads but at a less sophisticated level than is dealt with by the PMC. But Andy & Hunter made up for it by posting articles on the CP web site explaining it - which is kind of a free extra chapter.

And Frank Overton did a teaser item on Pez here:
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=3331

And other bloggers are into it...

Like I said - I will post more on my own experience in due course.
Hey Alex :)

Oh I would agree with you, I don't think the authors were deliberately trying to short-change readers. And as you alluded to, I did find that chapter on the perf. mgr on the website and it is certainly detailed.

It seems like a fairly innocent chart at a glance but a closer look shows it has the potential to be very powerful and informative. Quantifying training intensity/volume/duration in one metric has been virtually non-existent to my knowledge, till now that is!

I find it rather interesting to see the experiences of different riders with the tool as well as what I'm seeing on my own chart.

Mine http://cyclecoach.spaces.live.com. Only a little bit about Performance Manager and one graph (there's other stuff though).

It's (perhaps) interesting to compare the difference between Alex's graph and how well he's going, with my graph and how badly i'm going.

Luckily, the appalling mess i've made with my training isn't a reflection on my coaching ability (as simply, all i did this year was ride my bike as and whenever in whatever manner i felt like, which generally meant arsing around in the lanes for a year, slowly!).

Oh! and it's not really a "power blog" it's just a blog about cycling!

Ric

I'm pretty sure this list http://lists.topica.com/lists/eweTSS/read is now readable to the general public. It's essentially the Performance Manager beta testers discussion list (we were still calling it exponentially weighted TSS then). The list picks up in March, 2005, while most of us had already been playing with the tool and sending emails back & forth in late '04.

So as a "blog", or for those of you who want even more information on the PMC, it's perhaps interesting to look back at a group comprised of professional coaches and "serious" cyclists when we were just figuring out all the stuff that's now well-summarized in the public articles and Q&A on this and other forums.

Some nice blogs above ....

ric_stern/RST said:
Luckily, the appalling mess i've made with my training isn't a reflection on my coaching ability (as simply, all i did this year was ride my bike as and whenever in whatever manner i felt like, which generally meant arsing around in the lanes for a year, slowly!).

Ric
I note that during the year you also had a child. (Your first ?) So I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, Ric. From my own experience I'd say that since having children (6 years ago) my training has become much more haphazard and difficult to fit in. That has been during a period when work commitments have been particularly demanding also, so I can't blame it all on them.

The other thing that children do is bring every bug known to man (and a few that aren't) home and pass them on to you. So just when you are feeling at your fittest, you'll catch a gruesome cold that will stop you training for what feels like weeks! That's me right now :mad:

Aside from that, and being a constant drain on your finances, kids are great ! :D

acoggan said:
If it is, it shouldn't be. (Remember, we kicked this around and the general concensus seemed to be to keep it just among us friends. :D )
Oops! Sorry about that.

Still some good stuff in there, "Top 3 Mistakes" and all that. I just re-scanned a few months worth.

fastcat said:
Some nice blogs above ....

I note that during the year you also had a child.

well my missus did. else that would have really ruined my cycling! (and myself).

(Your first ?) So I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, Ric. From my own experience I'd say that since having children (6 years ago) my training has become much more haphazard and difficult to fit in.

well training _is_ part of work, so i had/have to do some cycling, but i'd had enough of racing this year (after 21 straight seasons of racing) and wanted some time off from *racing*. As there were no goals to meet, my training was just random or haphazard. luckily, next year (all being well) i'm back racing

That has been during a period when work commitments have been particularly demanding also, so I can't blame it all on them.

yep, work is busy here too. which reminds i need to put an advert out for another coach!

The other thing that children do is bring every bug known to man (and a few that aren't) home and pass them on to you. So just when you are feeling at your fittest, you'll catch a gruesome cold that will stop you training for what feels like weeks! That's me right now :mad:

i had flu just over a month back. Urgh. dropped my CTL right down to 32. luckily no one else in the family had it.

Aside from that, and being a constant drain on your finances, kids are great ! :D

they're more than great. best thing ever. :)

ric

While my blog doesn't currently have much power related content or personal training info, I will be adding both as I ramp up my off season training in the next few weeks.

Hi !

My Blog is listed below. It is in german, because there are so few infos in german. but i listed most of english sites with power related infos. See my blogroll.

All the best in 2007 !

Oliver