Pinch Flats

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig Brossman

I don't get it. I've had the pressure up to 50psi, riding a full sus. bike, placing about 180lbs
firmly on the saddle. The tires only have about 100 miles on them, IRC Mythos Kevlar, and yet I've
had 2 pinch flats in the last to days. It seems like I get them when I hit the side of the tire on a
rock, not going directly over it. I have not ridden the Mythos for some time, could it be the tires?
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:24:35 GMT, Craig Brossman <[email protected]> wrote:

>I don't get it. I've had the pressure up to 50psi, riding a full sus. bike, placing about 180lbs
>firmly on the saddle. The tires only have about 100 miles on them, IRC Mythos Kevlar, and yet
>I've had 2 pinch flats in the last to days. It seems like I get them when I hit the side of the
>tire on a rock, not going directly over it. I have not ridden the Mythos for some time, could it
>be the tires?

Yes.

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I don't get it. I've had the pressure up to 50psi, riding a full sus. bike, placing about 180lbs
> firmly on the saddle. The tires only have about 100 miles on them, IRC Mythos Kevlar, and yet
> I've had 2 pinch flats in the last to days. It seems like I get them when I hit the side of the
> tire on a rock, not going directly over it. I have not ridden the Mythos for some time, could it
> be the tires?

Are they the red-sidewalled Mythos or the black? You shouldn't have this problem with either,
really, but the red ones are better quality.

My guess is it's your rim -- are the flats on the same wheel? Maybe you have a rough spot (burr or
the like)somewhere?

OTOH it could just be bad luck. I seem to get pinches in bunches, too.

Bill "cheap or bad batch o' tubes another possibility" S.

"Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:24:35 GMT, Craig Brossman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I don't get it. I've had the pressure up to 50psi, riding a full sus. bike, placing about 180lbs
> >firmly on the saddle. The tires only have about 100 miles on them, IRC Mythos Kevlar, and yet
> >I've had 2 pinch flats in the last to days. It seems like I get them when I hit the side of the
> >tire on a rock, not going directly over it. I have not ridden the Mythos for some time, could it
> >be the tires?
>
> Yes.

I would have to disagree. I have been running Mythos for years and have never had a problem with
pinch flats. I don't really measure tire pressure by psi, I go by feel. Just my humble opinion...

cg

While we are on the subject of pinch flats, coupld someone please explain to me how a tubeless
system works and how it can prevent a pinch flat? What seals the air in?

> I don't get it. I've had the pressure up to 50psi, riding a full sus. bike, placing about 180lbs
> firmly on the saddle. The tires only have about 100 miles on them, IRC Mythos Kevlar, and yet
> I've had 2 pinch flats in the last to days. It seems like I get them when I hit the side of the
> tire on a rock, not going directly over it. I have not ridden the Mythos for some time, could it
> be the tires?
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:53:17 GMT, "Chris Glidden" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>"Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:24:35 GMT, Craig Brossman <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >I don't get it. I've had the pressure up to 50psi, riding a full sus. bike, placing about 180lbs
>> >firmly on the saddle. The tires only have about 100 miles on them, IRC Mythos Kevlar, and yet
>> >I've had 2 pinch flats in the last to days. It seems like I get them when I hit the side of the
>> >tire on a rock, not going directly over it. I have not ridden the Mythos for some time, could it
>> >be the tires?
>>
>> Yes.
>
>I would have to disagree. I have been running Mythos for years and have never had a problem with
>pinch flats. I don't really measure tire pressure by psi, I go by feel. Just my humble opinion...
>
>cg
>

different strokes (whatchatalkinboutwullis!)

I rode mine for less the 9 months and had quite a few, I s'pose I had some of them crappy Korean
version though. So that may have been the problem.

Sorni wrote:

> Are they the red-sidewalled Mythos or the black? You shouldn't have this problem with either,
> really, but the red ones are better quality.
>
> My guess is it's your rim -- are the flats on the same wheel? Maybe you have a rough spot (burr or
> the like)somewhere?
>
> OTOH it could just be bad luck. I seem to get pinches in bunches, too.
>
> Bill "cheap or bad batch o' tubes another possibility" S.
>
>

These are the blanks, rear wheels, not same spot. I will look at the rim, but these are clearly
pinch flats, 2 holes and all. Right now I think it just may be bad luck.

--

<snip snip>
>I rode mine for less the 9 months and had quite a few, I s'pose I had some of them crappy Korean
>version though. So that may have been the problem.

I bought Serac XC's recently but was disappointed to find mine were made in Korea too. I don't
know what the Japanese ones are like but my pair have the centre treads misaligned most of the
way through.

I suppose (and hope) it affects performance on paper more than it actually does though.

Have ridden them once (about 25 miles XC) without problems. With my last pair of Specialized tyres
(can't remember what they were) I kept getting a puncture almost every ride. Not the fault of the
tyres though, since one was a sharp stone splinter (while going fast downhill) and the other was a
drawing pin!

"Sir Ride-A-Lot @careercenter.com>" <Sir.Ride-a-Lot<NOSPAM> wrote in message
> While we are on the subject of pinch flats, coupld someone please explain
to
> me how a tubeless system works and how it can prevent a pinch flat? What seals the air in?
>
>

http://tinyurl.com/p8lx

Chris

> be the tires?

It's not your tires... your pressure gauge is broken.

-John Morgan
--
"I tried lube, careful prying, careful digging and even not so careful digging. Little chunks of
rubber." --Sad Bob

Craig Brossman wrote:
> be the tires?

You're not alone. I regularly suffered with pinch flats on a number of different tires running
50psi. I had a tubeless rear wheel built up and have said goodbye to pinch flats. I now run 40psi
without problem, which I find nicer both up and down the hill.

-Jeff

> be the tires?

Maybe not your problem, but here was mine: I NEVER have pinch flats (okay, previously had ONE
in lots of years of riding and racing), then last week I had two pinch flats in two rides. On
the first, I knew I forgot to pump up the tire before the ride (had a known slow leak from a
small thorn.) Okay, my mistake. I gambled with the slow leak too long anyway. Removed the
thorn and fixed it up. Next ride, I had another flat, brand new tube in there, fully pumped to
45psi before the ride. In that case, I had picked up a sharp spike from a push-pin type
thumbtack, and it allowed the pressure to leak down a bit during the ride, enough for a sudden
pinch flat. Quickly saw both snake-bite holes, but I was glad I checked the inside of the tire
out of habit. That's when I found the spike. It was straight through and about 1/2" long
inside the tire. Could have punctured me badly if I had been too rambunctious running my hand
around in the tire. Pulled it through, put on a new tube, and off I went. No more pinch flats
for awhile, I hope!

--
Off to ride the mountains, D H Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

John Morgan wrote:

>>I don't get it. I've had the pressure up to 50psi, riding a full sus. bike, placing about 180lbs
>>firmly on the saddle. The tires only have about 100 miles on them, IRC Mythos Kevlar, and yet
>>I've had 2 pinch flats in the last to days. It seems like I get them when I hit the side of the
>>tire on a rock, not going directly over it. I have not ridden the Mythos for some time, could it
>>be the tires?
>
>
> It's not your tires... your pressure gauge is broken.
>
> -John Morgan
> --
> "I tried lube, careful prying, careful digging and even not so careful digging. Little chunks of
> rubber." --Sad Bob
>
>

Had not considered that, but with a bit of experience, it is pretty easy to tell that your tires are
in the 50psi range, but I will check again.

--

"Chris Glidden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:24:35 GMT, Craig Brossman <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >I don't get it. I've had the pressure up to 50psi, riding a full sus. bike, placing about
> > >180lbs firmly on the saddle. The tires only have about 100 miles on them, IRC Mythos Kevlar,
> > >and yet I've had 2 pinch flats in the last to days. It seems like I get them when I hit the
> > >side of the tire on a rock, not going directly over it. I have not ridden the Mythos for some
> > >time, could it be the tires?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> I would have to disagree. I have been running Mythos for years and have never had a problem with
> pinch flats. I don't really measure tire pressure by psi, I go by feel. Just my humble opinion...
>
> cg

I've also had good luck with the IRC tires. I run the Mythos front tire and I just bought the
2.2 in Trail Bear for the rear tire. I love that Trail Bear, it really launches me up the
technical uphills.

As far as tire wear goes, I have yet to get more than 9 months out of any tires, I've run Wild.
Trail Bike, Panaracer Fire XC Pros, Specialized 2.25" (came with the bike), and now the IRCs.
Personally I liked the Panaracers, and the IRCs the best, but the Panaracers wore out the quickest
of them all. So far I think the IRCs gave the best performance on the trail which is the most
important thing to me.

As far as pinch flats go, I just don't get them. I usually run my tire pressure at least 45-50 lbs.
Maybe it's more of a riding style thing?

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.net

Status
Not open for further replies.