Ping! DH ridiers, M Dark, Slacker etc.

Scott

Guest
What tires do you reccomend for Snowshoe WV (rocky, rooty and wet) riding...
DH and FR.

I will be going to Whistler next year, any tire reccomendations for BC?

TIA.

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What tires do you reccomend for Snowshoe WV (rocky, rooty and wet)

riding...
> DH and FR.
>
> I will be going to Whistler next year, any tire reccomendations for BC?

'scuse me but that's Mr. Darth to you. (;^))

For Snowshoe I highly recommend Maxxis Swampthings for wet muddy conditions.
But switch to Minions F&R as soon as it dries out. (It can happen!!!)

Never been to Whistler but imagine the same combo for the similar conditions
would work fine.

Mike

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > What tires do you reccomend for Snowshoe WV (rocky, rooty and wet)

> riding...
> > DH and FR.
> >
> > I will be going to Whistler next year, any tire reccomendations for BC?
> >

> 'scuse me but that's Mr. Darth to you. (;^))
>
> For Snowshoe I highly recommend Maxxis Swampthings for wet muddy

conditions.
> But switch to Minions F&R as soon as it dries out. (It can happen!!!)
>
> Never been to Whistler but imagine the same combo for the similar

conditions
> would work fine.
>
> Mike

I should add Snowshoe has a couple stages of 'muddiness'.

1st stage - During and shortly after rain, Roots and rocks are wet and
slippery. Tires don't pack up. Almost any tread pattern is good, sticky
rubber is best. Best advice "Follow the water down."

2nd stage - 1 to 2 days later. Mud turns to peanut butter consistency.
Roots and rocks get covered with grease. Tires pack up, slightest touch of
the brakes leads to frame packing up. Swampthings are fairly resistant to
this effect and tall knobs still find grip. Best advice "Stay off the
brakes" Yeah, right!!!

3rd stage - actually 2nd plus fresh cut trail. Bits of organic fibre, tiny
roots, worms, Cheat Mountain Salamanders and pine needles provide a binding
medium to the mud. Renders a bike totally undridable or even pushable.
You'll wind up draggin' the dammed thing behind you by the fork leg. Best
advice "Stay off the trail."

See http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/18033766 Yes, that's an earthworm.

Mike

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Michael Dart wrote:
> >
> > > I should add Snowshoe has a couple stages of 'muddiness'.

> > <snip>
> > > See http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/image/18033766 Yes, that's an

> earthworm.
> > >
> > > Mike

> > What stage is that pic from?
> >

> Stage 3.
>
> Mike

And no, I do not condone riding wet muddy trails. Snowshoe is different as
it's on somewhat private property and they move the downhill courses around.
The terrain is rock based with a thin layer of organic matter on top. An
abandoned trail completely disappears in a couple years.

Mike