General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

PING: George: I've been Pho'd!

Started by Andy · · Last activity · 8 posts · 128 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 October 2007
Last activity
3 October 2007
Original author
Andy
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
128
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. George,

    I stopped in at Pho*75 for lunch today! A very inconspicuous restaurant. It
    was just 11am and except for two other couples the place was empty.

    I ordered a large #12 at Wee's (my waiter) suggestion and a sprite. He
    delivered my pho very fast with a side of sprouts, basil leaves and a
    couple other little tidbit veggies that I dumped into the bowl and tossed
    together.

    Anyway, the bowl had about a quart of soup and meat and noodles and green
    onions in a brown broth.

    I started with a ceramic soup spoon and it soon became apparent that I
    wouldn't be able to conquer the meat and noodles with it, so I grabbed two
    chop sticks and a little comedy ensued as I couldn't get it right. After a
    couple minutes, thinking I could be there all day at this rate, Wee walks
    up to me and with a fork in his hand asks me if I'd like a fork. Why YES,
    thanks! That made everything much easier.

    I added plenty of hot chili sauce and a very nice and mild soy sauce/paste
    (?) to everything.

    I finished it all except 1/2 cup of the soup. Wow was my nose running!!!
    The meat was eye of round and very tasty and tender. It was alot of food in
    one bowl!

    Wee was a very pleasant young man. I told him George sent me and he said "I
    may know him, I work every day."

    Total: $7.90 + tip.

    So after what, two years? I finally took your recommendation. I'll
    certainly go back.

    Many thanks,

    Andy

  2. Andy said:

    George,

    I stopped in at Pho*75 for lunch today! A very inconspicuous restaurant. It
    was just 11am and except for two other couples the place was empty.

    I ordered a large #12 at Wee's (my waiter) suggestion and a sprite. He
    delivered my pho very fast with a side of sprouts, basil leaves and a
    couple other little tidbit veggies that I dumped into the bowl and tossed
    together.

    Anyway, the bowl had about a quart of soup and meat and noodles and green
    onions in a brown broth.

    I started with a ceramic soup spoon and it soon became apparent that I
    wouldn't be able to conquer the meat and noodles with it, so I grabbed two
    chop sticks and a little comedy ensued as I couldn't get it right. After a
    couple minutes, thinking I could be there all day at this rate, Wee walks
    up to me and with a fork in his hand asks me if I'd like a fork. Why YES,
    thanks! That made everything much easier.

    I added plenty of hot chili sauce and a very nice and mild soy sauce/paste
    (?) to everything.

    I finished it all except 1/2 cup of the soup. Wow was my nose running!!!
    The meat was eye of round and very tasty and tender. It was alot of food in
    one bowl!

    Wee was a very pleasant young man. I told him George sent me and he said "I
    may know him, I work every day."

    Total: $7.90 + tip.

    So after what, two years? I finally took your recommendation. I'll
    certainly go back.

    Many thanks,

    Andy

    Pho is good stuff. If I am someplace where it is available it is my
    first choice.

    The dark sauce you used is hoisin.

    Did you go to the Vietnamese market in the mall?

  3. George wrote on Wed, 03 Oct 2007 09:01:18 -0400:

    G> Andy wrote:
    ??>> George,
    ??>>
    ??>> I stopped in at Pho*75 for lunch today! A very
    ??>> inconspicuous restaurant. It was just 11am and except for
    ??>> two other couples the place was empty.
    ??>>
    ??>>
    ??>> Total: $7.90 + tip.
    ??>>
    ??>> So after what, two years? I finally took your
    ??>> recommendation. I'll certainly go back.
    ??>>
    ??>> Many thanks,
    ??>>
    ??>> Andy

    G> Pho is good stuff. If I am someplace where it is available
    G> it is my first choice.

    G> The dark sauce you used is hoisin.

    Preferences differ of course. I go to a place called Pho Nam (in
    Gaithersburg, MD, I think, but it's on Shady Grove Rd near the
    Rockville border) and almost always have Pho Ga, chicken-based
    pho with white chicken. I put in *all* the bean sprouts, sliced
    chillies and basil leaves that are provided and about one table
    spoon of hoisin sauce. Imitating people who look like they know
    what they are doing, I make a 1:1 mixture of hoisin and chili
    sauces as a dip for the meat. The price is a bit less than you
    quote for Pho 75 (a chain in my part of the world.)

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

  4. George said...

    Quoted message said:
    Andy said:

    George,

    I stopped in at Pho*75 for lunch today! A very inconspicuous
    restaurant. It was just 11am and except for two other couples the place
    was empty.

    I ordered a large #12 at Wee's (my waiter) suggestion and a sprite. He
    delivered my pho very fast with a side of sprouts, basil leaves and a
    couple other little tidbit veggies that I dumped into the bowl and
    tossed together.

    Anyway, the bowl had about a quart of soup and meat and noodles and
    green onions in a brown broth.

    I started with a ceramic soup spoon and it soon became apparent that I
    wouldn't be able to conquer the meat and noodles with it, so I grabbed
    two chop sticks and a little comedy ensued as I couldn't get it right.
    After a couple minutes, thinking I could be there all day at this rate,
    Wee walks up to me and with a fork in his hand asks me if I'd like a
    fork. Why YES, thanks! That made everything much easier.

    I added plenty of hot chili sauce and a very nice and mild soy
    sauce/paste (?) to everything.

    I finished it all except 1/2 cup of the soup. Wow was my nose
    running!!! The meat was eye of round and very tasty and tender. It was
    alot of food in one bowl!

    Wee was a very pleasant young man. I told him George sent me and he
    said "I may know him, I work every day."

    Total: $7.90 + tip.

    So after what, two years? I finally took your recommendation. I'll
    certainly go back.

    Many thanks,

    Andy

    Pho is good stuff. If I am someplace where it is available it is my
    first choice.

    The dark sauce you used is hoisin.

    Did you go to the Vietnamese market in the mall?

    George,

    Funny you should ask! <G> I saw it as I was driving around and out of the
    lot and re-pulled in to a parking space to have a look. No sooner than I'd
    locked the car I realized that I was out of cash. I escaped Pho*75 with one
    dollar, not realizing they didn't take credit cards. WHEW! So I got back in
    the car and drove off. [sigh] The market was VERY alive.

    I will certainly take a stroll in the market next time!

    Andy

  5. Andy said:

    Funny you should ask! <G> I saw it as I was driving around and out of the
    lot and re-pulled in to a parking space to have a look. No sooner than I'd
    locked the car I realized that I was out of cash. I escaped Pho*75 with one
    dollar, not realizing they didn't take credit cards. WHEW! So I got back in
    the car and drove off. [sigh] The market was VERY alive.

    I will certainly take a stroll in the market next time!

    I've never heard of a supermarket that didn't take credit cards
    (which you said you had), Vietnamese or not.

    -sw

  6. Andy said:
    Quoted message said:


    Did you go to the Vietnamese market in the mall?

    George,

    Funny you should ask! <G> I saw it as I was driving around and out of the
    lot and re-pulled in to a parking space to have a look. No sooner than I'd
    locked the car I realized that I was out of cash. I escaped Pho*75 with one
    dollar, not realizing they didn't take credit cards. WHEW! So I got back in
    the car and drove off. [sigh] The market was VERY alive.

    Cash only is pretty common with neighborhood Asian restaurants. They
    believe in providing good food at a fair price and not having to raise
    the prices to subsidize credit cards. There is a reason that the CC
    companies (and not merchants) spend 10s of millions of dollars on all of
    those commercials showing how convenient it is to buy a donut, soft
    drink or pack of gum with your CC.

    Quoted message said:


    I will certainly take a stroll in the market next time!

    Andy

  7. George said...

    Quoted message said:
    Andy said:
    Quoted message said:


    Did you go to the Vietnamese market in the mall?

    George,

    Funny you should ask! <G> I saw it as I was driving around and out of
    the lot and re-pulled in to a parking space to have a look. No sooner
    than I'd locked the car I realized that I was out of cash. I escaped
    Pho*75 with one dollar, not realizing they didn't take credit cards.
    WHEW! So I got back in the car and drove off. [sigh] The market was
    VERY alive.

    Cash only is pretty common with neighborhood Asian restaurants. They
    believe in providing good food at a fair price and not having to raise
    the prices to subsidize credit cards. There is a reason that the CC
    companies (and not merchants) spend 10s of millions of dollars on all of
    those commercials showing how convenient it is to buy a donut, soft
    drink or pack of gum with your CC.

    I just made a poor snap-judgement decision. If the restaurant didn't take
    CCs, the market wouldn't either.

    It was my first time in a new community. That aside, everybody treated me
    nicely and I look forward to visiting again.

    Andy

  8. James Silverton said:

    George wrote on Wed, 03 Oct 2007 09:01:18 -0400:

    G> Andy wrote:
    ??>> George,
    ??>>
    ??>> I stopped in at Pho*75 for lunch today! A very
    ??>> inconspicuous restaurant. It was just 11am and except for
    ??>> two other couples the place was empty.
    ??>>
    ??>>
    ??>> Total: $7.90 + tip.
    ??>>
    ??>> So after what, two years? I finally took your
    ??>> recommendation. I'll certainly go back.
    ??>>
    ??>> Many thanks,
    ??>>
    ??>> Andy

    G> Pho is good stuff. If I am someplace where it is available
    G> it is my first choice.

    G> The dark sauce you used is hoisin.

    Preferences differ of course. I go to a place called Pho Nam (in
    Gaithersburg, MD, I think, but it's on Shady Grove Rd near the Rockville
    border) and almost always have Pho Ga, chicken-based pho with white
    chicken. I put in *all* the bean sprouts, sliced chillies and basil
    leaves that are provided and about one table spoon of hoisin sauce.
    Imitating people who look like they know what they are doing, I make a
    1:1 mixture of hoisin and chili sauces as a dip for the meat. The price
    is a bit less than you quote for Pho 75 (a chain in my part of the world.)

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

    The place in question recently moved to a bigger shop so that may
    explain the higher price.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.