General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Ping Jill: Cauliflower

Started by Christine Dabney · · Last activity · 25 posts · 505 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 January 2006
Last activity
8 January 2006
Original author
Christine Dabney
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
505
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–25 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Christine Dabney said:

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 12:16:33 GMT, "Phyllis Stone" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Christine Dabney" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have to look through all my books to see what looks good for
    cauliflower. Not sure I want to do the faux potatoes thing right now,
    although my body would appreciate it. I think Nancy had a good recipe
    for cauliflower,right?

    Christine

    I have always disliked cauliflower, the way it tasted, the way it looked,
    but someone on this group mentioned roasting it. This stuff is great. Olive
    Oil, garlic, thyme, it is good hot or cold in salads.


    That would be me, among a few others. It turns cauliflower completely
    around!

    Christine

    I lean towards Taco seasoning on my roasted cauliflower. And think a
    Sweet curry powder mix would also be good. Why? Because Indians seem to
    use cauliflower in curries a lot and that many people can't be wrong.

  2. Michael 'Dog3' Lonergan said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Christine Dabney said:

    I went to my local produce market today in Berkeley, and what
    should I find? Cauliflower, at 39cents EACH. I got three of them.

    They weren't top shape, but still very usuable, even if I have to
    shave a dark spot off one or two of them.

    Christine

    Gawd! That's a hell of a deal! Last time I checked it was close to
    $2 here. Of course, this isn't California... 🙂

    Just don't make a cauliflower, white cheddar, green pepper and
    mushroom casserole. GAWD, my mother made one over the holidays and
    it was horrible. I don't know what she did wrong with it but I could
    barely be polite and gag down a fork full of it.

    Michael

    In all fairness, you've made it pretty clear your mom can't cook 😉

    Jill

  3. aem said:
    Christine Dabney said:


    I have to look through all my books to see what looks good for
    cauliflower. Not sure I want to do the faux potatoes thing right
    now, although my body would appreciate it. I think Nancy had a good
    recipe for cauliflower,right?


    If you're not afraid of deep fried foods: season flour with salt and
    pepper, break cauliflower into flowerets, dredge in flour and drop
    into a pot of hot (350° - 375°F) oil, fry until light golden brown,
    drain
    on paper, eat hot. This is one of those happy dishes that is a lot
    better than you first think it will be. -aem

    Oh god! I'd forgotten all about deep fried cauliflower! Yes, it's
    heavenly! I rarely deep fry anything but this goes on the must-do list for
    2006!

    Jill

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Christine Dabney said:

    Jill,

    I can't resist telling you about this.😉

    I went to my local produce market today in Berkeley, and what should I
    find? Cauliflower, at 39cents EACH. I got three of them.

    Where in Berkeley, missy? Spill!

    Quoted message said:

    They weren't top shape, but still very usuable, even if I have to
    shave a dark spot off one or two of them.

    Now, on to roasting cauliflower, and finding other healthy stuff to do
    with them.

    Roasted cauliflower is da bomb, and couldn't be easier.

    Preheat oven to 400 F (if you are doing something at 425 or 450, it won't
    hurt)

    Wash cauli and cut into pieces as even as possible (slicing large florets
    makes for nice browned bits)

    Put on a baking sheet with sides

    Juice one lemon, pour over cauli, toss to mix

    Drizzle small amount of olive oil over (no more than about 2 tablespoons),
    toss to mix

    Sprinkle some salt and pepper over, toss to mix

    Arrange florets flat on sheet (single layer) and cook for 15-25 min, till
    tender and starting to brown.

    I usually eat the whole head. With a little parmesan it's dinner.

    Charlotte
    http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com
    --

  5. On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 16:01:36 +0000 (UTC), [email hidden]

    (Charlotte L. Blackmer) said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Christine Dabney said:

    Jill,

    I can't resist telling you about this.😉

    I went to my local produce market today in Berkeley, and what should I
    find? Cauliflower, at 39cents EACH. I got three of them.

    Where in Berkeley, missy? Spill!


    Monterey Market. They had broccoli crowns for 49cents/pound too..I
    got a lot of that as well.

    Quoted message said:

    Roasted cauliflower is da bomb, and couldn't be easier.

    Oh, I know. I love the stuff. I usually get several heads to
    roast..since it cooks down so much.

    Christine

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.