General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

PING: Jill re: tilapia

Started by Jude · · Last activity · 7 posts · 230 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
5 January 2006
Last activity
5 January 2006
Original author
Jude
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
230
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Jill, you're the tilapia queen around here. How do you like to cook it
    - broiled, grilled, pan-fried? Would it work on the foreman or is it
    too thin? It's a filet, but definitely they look like thick fillets,
    each about 6 ounces in weight.

    I bought some for dinner tomorrow, to be served with my new favorite
    fish sauce: combine 8 oz sour cream, 2 oz fresh dill, 4 oz fresh
    arugula, 2 minced shallots, 3 T dijon mustard, and 1 T lemon juice with
    stick belnder and serve with fish fillets(amounts are approximate; OK,
    they're guesses. I just dump it in and taste periodically.) I want a
    really simple cooking prep but one that won't dry it out. Figured you
    were the one to ask.

    I'm going to make wild rice alongside it, and serve it with an
    asian-style green salad with scallions, snow peas, mandarin oranges,
    cashews, and sesame-ginger dressing.

    It was really fun being at the grocery store today and shopping for
    regular non-holiady food. I'm enjoying this simple stuff!

  2. Jude said:

    Jill, you're the tilapia queen around here.

    How many crowns can a woman wear at once? <G>

    How do you like to cook it

    Quoted message said:

    - broiled, grilled, pan-fried?

    I usually lightly coat it with Zatarain's fish fry coating and pan-fry it in
    a little canola oil. If it's warm outside I'll do it on the grill (using
    those grill foil sheets) simply brushed with a little butter or olive oil
    and simply seasoned with salt & pepper.

    Would it work on the foreman or is it

    Quoted message said:

    too thin? It's a filet, but definitely they look like thick fillets,
    each about 6 ounces in weight.


    I don't own a Foreman grill so I've never tried this method. The fillets I
    get are usually pretty thin. If yours are 1/2" thick the Foreman might
    work. Keep in mind the fillets are pretty delicate.

    Quoted message said:

    I bought some for dinner tomorrow, to be served with my new favorite
    fish sauce: combine 8 oz sour cream, 2 oz fresh dill, 4 oz fresh
    arugula, 2 minced shallots, 3 T dijon mustard, and 1 T lemon juice
    with stick belnder and serve with fish fillets(amounts are
    approximate; OK, they're guesses. I just dump it in and taste
    periodically.) I want a really simple cooking prep but one that won't
    dry it out. Figured you were the one to ask.


    Sounds like a really good sauce! I haven't tried this sort of thing but
    don't see why it wouldn't be nice with tilapia. It's a very mild fish.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm going to make wild rice alongside it, and serve it with an
    asian-style green salad with scallions, snow peas, mandarin oranges,
    cashews, and sesame-ginger dressing.

    It was really fun being at the grocery store today and shopping for
    regular non-holiady food. I'm enjoying this simple stuff!

    Yeah, the holiday stuff gets to be a bit much in a short time 🙂 Enjoy your
    meal! Please report back.

    Jill

  3. Jill replied to Jude about tilapia:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How do you like to cook it
    - broiled, grilled, pan-fried?

    I usually lightly coat it with Zatarain's fish fry coating and pan-fry it
    in a little canola oil. If it's warm outside I'll do it on the grill
    (using those grill foil sheets) simply brushed with a little butter or
    olive oil and simply seasoned with salt & pepper.

    This coming Sunday, the secret ingredient in "Iron Chef America" is tilapia.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what the chefs come up with. I just hope that
    the ice cream machine doesn't come into play.

    Bob


  4. Quoted message said:


    This coming Sunday, the secret ingredient in "Iron Chef America" is
    tilapia.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what the chefs come up with. I just hope
    that the ice cream machine doesn't come into play.

    Bob


    I guess you must've seen the episode with the turkey ice cream -- tee hee.
    Dee Dee

  5. Dee said:
    Quoted message said:

    This coming Sunday, the secret ingredient in "Iron Chef America" is
    tilapia. I'm looking forward to seeing what the chefs come up with. I
    just hope that the ice cream machine doesn't come into play.

    Bob

    I guess you must've seen the episode with the turkey ice cream -- tee hee.

    I remember the turkey episode, and I remember the ice cream machine coming
    on, but I don't remember actually seeing someone making turkey ice cream.
    Maybe I blanked it out, or assumed they were making an icy cranberry relish
    or something like that. What I *do* remember all-too-vividly is the episode
    in the original "Iron Chef" series where Hiroyuki Sakai made trout ice
    cream. The judges didn't care for it at all.

    Bob

  6. jmcquown said:

    Sounds like a really good sauce! I haven't tried this sort of thing but
    don't see why it wouldn't be nice with tilapia. It's a very mild fish.

    Are we talking grey tilapia or red?

    I don't like the grey - far too many needle-sharp bones. But red tilapia is
    one of my favourite fish.

    --
    Sue in Portsmouth,
    "Old" Hampshire,
    "Old" England, UK

  7. EastneyEnder said:
    jmcquown said:

    Sounds like a really good sauce! I haven't tried this sort of thing
    but don't see why it wouldn't be nice with tilapia. It's a very
    mild fish.

    Are we talking grey tilapia or red?

    I don't like the grey - far too many needle-sharp bones. But red
    tilapia is one of my favourite fish.

    The packages I buy just say "tilapia". Fillets don't have bones, at any
    rate 🙂

    Jill

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.