General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Ping: Ophelia - Recipe for Scottish Shortbread

Started by Wayne Boatwright · · Last activity · 28 posts · 468 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
21 November 2007
Last activity
22 November 2007
Original author
Wayne Boatwright
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
468
Views / 30 days
13

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I can just bet you have a really good authentic recipe. Would you post it
    for me? Puleeez????

    --
    November 15th,2007
    ¦ A mind is a terrible thing to lose... ¦
    |_| _, _ _
    | |(_||_)|_)\_|
    ___ | ._|
    | |_ _ ,_ |/ , _ . .,_ _
    | | |(_|| ||\/_)(_|||/|| |(_|
    ___ ._| ._|
    .'=:-\
    /.='( ` give thanks...
    /. ^=.'-._..---.

  2. Wayne Boatwright said:

    I can just bet you have a really good authentic recipe. Would you
    post it for me? Puleeez????


    Would you settle for my Scottish grandmother's recipe?

    Shortbread

    3/4 c. butter (do *not* use margarine)
    4 c. flour, sifted
    1 c. sugar
    1/4 tsp. salt

    Blend salt into flour. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and
    sugar. Gradually stir in flour until you have a stiff dough. Pat out onto
    a greased 6X9 inch baking pan, pressing with a glass to smooth the dough.
    [censored] all over with a fork. Bake at 275F for 50-60 minutes or until lightly
    browned.

    Jill

  3. Oh pshaw, on Tue 20 Nov 2007 09:10:25p, jmcquown meant to say...

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    I can just bet you have a really good authentic recipe. Would you
    post it for me? Puleeez????


    Would you settle for my Scottish grandmother's recipe?

    Shortbread

    3/4 c. butter (do *not* use margarine)
    4 c. flour, sifted
    1 c. sugar
    1/4 tsp. salt

    Blend salt into flour. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter
    and sugar. Gradually stir in flour until you have a stiff dough. Pat
    out onto a greased 6X9 inch baking pan, pressing with a glass to smooth
    the dough. [censored] all over with a fork. Bake at 275F for 50-60 minutes
    or until lightly browned.

    Jill

    I will certainly give this one a try, Jill!

    I decided to make very plain cookies for Christmas this year, and wanted to
    include several different versions of shortbread, in addition to a few
    other

    Thank you!

    --
    November 15th,2007
    ¦ A mind is a terrible thing to lose... ¦
    |_| _, _ _
    | |(_||_)|_)\_|
    ___ | ._|
    | |_ _ ,_ |/ , _ . .,_ _
    | | |(_|| ||\/_)(_|||/|| |(_|
    ___ ._| ._|
    .'=:-\
    /.='( ` give thanks...
    /. ^=.'-._..---.

  4. Wayne Boatwright said:

    Oh pshaw, on Tue 20 Nov 2007 09:10:25p, jmcquown meant to say...

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    I can just bet you have a really good authentic recipe. Would you
    post it for me? Puleeez????


    Would you settle for my Scottish grandmother's recipe?

    Shortbread

    3/4 c. butter (do *not* use margarine)
    4 c. flour, sifted
    1 c. sugar
    1/4 tsp. salt

    Blend salt into flour. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter
    and sugar. Gradually stir in flour until you have a stiff dough.
    Pat out onto a greased 6X9 inch baking pan, pressing with a glass to
    smooth the dough. [censored] all over with a fork. Bake at 275F for
    50-60 minutes or until lightly browned.

    Jill

    I will certainly give this one a try, Jill!

    I decided to make very plain cookies for Christmas this year, and
    wanted to include several different versions of shortbread, in
    addition to a few other

    Thank you!


    This shortbread reminds me of those cookies, Lorna Doone's 🙂 I may have to
    make some soon... it's been a long time since I did!

  5. Oh pshaw, on Wed 21 Nov 2007 07:18:04a, jmcquown meant to say...

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    Oh pshaw, on Tue 20 Nov 2007 09:10:25p, jmcquown meant to say...

    Quoted message said:

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > I can just bet you have a really good authentic recipe. Would you
    > post it for me? Puleeez????
    >
    Would you settle for my Scottish grandmother's recipe?

    Shortbread

    3/4 c. butter (do *not* use margarine)
    4 c. flour, sifted
    1 c. sugar
    1/4 tsp. salt

    Blend salt into flour. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter
    and sugar. Gradually stir in flour until you have a stiff dough.
    Pat out onto a greased 6X9 inch baking pan, pressing with a glass to
    smooth the dough. [censored] all over with a fork. Bake at 275F for
    50-60 minutes or until lightly browned.

    Jill

    I will certainly give this one a try, Jill!

    I decided to make very plain cookies for Christmas this year, and
    wanted to include several different versions of shortbread, in
    addition to a few other

    Thank you!


    This shortbread reminds me of those cookies, Lorna Doone's 🙂 I may
    have to make some soon... it's been a long time since I did!

    Lorna Doone's is bascially a shortbread, just not as rich. I likek those
    too.

    --
    November 15th,2007
    ¦ A mind is a terrible thing to lose... ¦
    |_| _, _ _
    | |(_||_)|_)\_|
    ___ | ._|
    | |_ _ ,_ |/ , _ . .,_ _
    | | |(_|| ||\/_)(_|||/|| |(_|
    ___ ._| ._|
    .'=:-\
    /.='( ` give thanks...
    /. ^=.'-._..---.

  6. Wayne wrote on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:01:30 GMT:

    ??>>>
    ??>> This shortbread reminds me of those cookies, Lorna Doone's
    ??>> 🙂 I may have to make some soon... it's been a long time
    ??>> since I did!
    ??>>
    WB> Lorna Doone's is bascially a shortbread, just not as rich.
    WB> I likek those too.

    Anyone who thinks Lorna Doone's is Scottish shortbread is beyond
    redemption! :-)

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

  7. Wayne Boatwright said:


    I can just bet you have a really good authentic recipe. Would you post it
    for me? Puleeez????

    I'm not Ophelia but here is a Scottish recipe:

    Ayrshire shortbread (from 'The Scottish Kitchen'😉. This contains egg and
    cream.

    4 oz flour
    4 oz rice flour

    Or

    7 oz flour
    1 oz cornflour/cornstarch

    4 oz butter [no substitute]
    3 oz caster/superfine sugar
    1 egg yolk
    1 tsp cream

    Sieve the flours together and rub in the butter. Stir in the sugar. Bind
    together with the beaten egg yolk and cream.
    Turn onto a floured board. Divide in half and press into two rounds.
    Roll out the rounds to 1/2 thick. Crimp the edges and mark into 6--8
    sections. [censored] with a fork and bake in the centre of a cool oven (300F,
    149C, gas mark2). Cool on a wire rack and dredge with caster sugar.

  8. Oh pshaw, on Wed 21 Nov 2007 08:05:59a, James Silverton meant to say...

    Quoted message said:

    Wayne wrote on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:01:30 GMT:

    ??>>>
    ??>> This shortbread reminds me of those cookies, Lorna Doone's
    ??>> 🙂 I may have to make some soon... it's been a long time
    ??>> since I did!
    ??>>
    WB> Lorna Doone's is bascially a shortbread, just not as rich.
    WB> I likek those too.

    Anyone who thinks Lorna Doone's is Scottish shortbread is beyond
    redemption! :-)

    I didn't say it was Scottish shortbread. However, it really is based on a
    shortbread style of cookie.

    Quoted message said:

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

    --
    November 15th,2007
    ¦ A mind is a terrible thing to lose... ¦
    |_| _, _ _
    | |(_||_)|_)\_|
    ___ | ._|
    | |_ _ ,_ |/ , _ . .,_ _
    | | |(_|| ||\/_)(_|||/|| |(_|
    ___ ._| ._|
    .'=:-\
    /.='( ` give thanks...
    /. ^=.'-._..---.

  9. Oh pshaw, on Wed 21 Nov 2007 08:14:14a, Arri London meant to say...

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:


    I can just bet you have a really good authentic recipe. Would you post


    it

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    for me? Puleeez????

    I'm not Ophelia but here is a Scottish recipe:

    Ayrshire shortbread (from 'The Scottish Kitchen'😉. This contains egg and
    cream.

    4 oz flour
    4 oz rice flour

    Or

    7 oz flour
    1 oz cornflour/cornstarch

    4 oz butter [no substitute]
    3 oz caster/superfine sugar
    1 egg yolk
    1 tsp cream

    Sieve the flours together and rub in the butter. Stir in the sugar. Bind
    together with the beaten egg yolk and cream.
    Turn onto a floured board. Divide in half and press into two rounds.
    Roll out the rounds to 1/2 thick. Crimp the edges and mark into 6--8
    sections. [censored] with a fork and bake in the centre of a cool oven (300F,
    149C, gas mark2). Cool on a wire rack and dredge with caster sugar.

    Thanks, Arri. I don't think I've ever seen a shortbread recipe that
    included egg and cream. A nice variation for me to try!

    --
    November 15th,2007
    ¦ A mind is a terrible thing to lose... ¦
    |_| _, _ _
    | |(_||_)|_)\_|
    ___ | ._|
    | |_ _ ,_ |/ , _ . .,_ _
    | | |(_|| ||\/_)(_|||/|| |(_|
    ___ ._| ._|
    .'=:-\
    /.='( ` give thanks...
    /. ^=.'-._..---.

  10. Arri wrote on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 08:14:14 -0700:

    AL> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    ??>>
    ??>> I can just bet you have a really good authentic recipe.
    ??>> Would you post it for me? Puleeez????
    ??>>
    AL> I'm not Ophelia but here is a Scottish recipe:

    AL> Ayrshire shortbread (from 'The Scottish Kitchen'😉. This
    AL> contains egg and cream.

    AL> 4 oz flour
    AL> 4 oz rice flour

    AL> Or

    AL> 7 oz flour
    AL> 1 oz cornflour/cornstarch

    AL> 4 oz butter [no substitute]
    AL> 3 oz caster/superfine sugar
    AL> 1 egg yolk
    AL> 1 tsp cream

    Be warned, Scottish recipes were developed in *cool* kitchens
    and the average US room temperature is too high. Not everyone
    can successfully make shortbread. A lady I know used to always
    enlist her teenage son when making shortbread. Either her hands
    were too warm or he was faster and did not allow the butter to
    melt. Incidentally, I'd never heard of egg in shortbread :-)

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

  11. This is a really good shortbread recipe Wayne, you can add the banoffee
    stuff if you wish but it's great on it's own.

    http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516509

    Sarah

  12. jmcquown said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    Oh pshaw, on Tue 20 Nov 2007 09:10:25p, jmcquown meant to say...

    Quoted message said:

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > I can just bet you have a really good authentic recipe. Would you
    > post it for me? Puleeez????

    Mannn I never saw this Wayne, sorry🙁((

    Shortbread

    11/4 lb plain lour

    6 oz cornflour

    6 oz caster sugar

    1 lb butter

    extra caster (sugar, to dredge.)

    Sift the flour, cornflour and sugar into a mixing bowl. Cut the butter into
    the dry

    ingredients, then rub the butter in with your fingertips. Mix together well.
    You can also do this in a food processor. Press the shortbread mixture into
    the tin (10" x12" [censored] the shortbread at even intervals with a fork, and
    bake in a preheated low oven (150 degrees C/300 degrees F/ gas2) for about 1
    hour, till the shortbread is a pale golden colour. Take the tin out of the
    oven and dust the shortbread liberally with sugar, shaking it evenly over
    the surface. The sugar will stick to the hot shortbread. Cut the shortbread
    into squares and cool on a wire rack.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Would you settle for my Scottish grandmother's recipe?

    Shortbread

    3/4 c. butter (do *not* use margarine)
    4 c. flour, sifted
    1 c. sugar
    1/4 tsp. salt

    Blend salt into flour. In a large mixing bowl, cream together
    butter and sugar. Gradually stir in flour until you have a stiff
    dough. Pat out onto a greased 6X9 inch baking pan, pressing with a
    glass to smooth the dough. [censored] all over with a fork. Bake at
    275F for 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned.

    I am sure Jill's recipe will be fine too🙂)

  13. jmcquown said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    Oh pshaw, on Tue 20 Nov 2007 09:10:25p, jmcquown meant to say...

    Quoted message said:

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > I can just bet you have a really good authentic recipe. Would you
    > post it for me? Puleeez????

    Mannn I never saw this Wayne, sorry🙁((

    Shortbread

    11/4 lb plain lour

    6 oz cornflour

    6 oz caster sugar

    1 lb butter

    extra caster (sugar, to dredge.)

    Sift the flour, cornflour and sugar into a mixing bowl. Cut the butter into
    the dry

    ingredients, then rub the butter in with your fingertips. Mix together well.
    You can also do this in a food processor. Press the shortbread mixture into
    the tin (10" x12" [censored] the shortbread at even intervals with a fork, and
    bake in a preheated low oven (150 degrees C/300 degrees F/ gas2) for about 1
    hour, till the shortbread is a pale golden colour. Take the tin out of the
    oven and dust the shortbread liberally with sugar, shaking it evenly over
    the surface. The sugar will stick to the hot shortbread. Cut the shortbread
    into squares and cool on a wire rack.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Would you settle for my Scottish grandmother's recipe?

    Shortbread

    3/4 c. butter (do *not* use margarine)
    4 c. flour, sifted
    1 c. sugar
    1/4 tsp. salt

    Blend salt into flour. In a large mixing bowl, cream together
    butter and sugar. Gradually stir in flour until you have a stiff
    dough. Pat out onto a greased 6X9 inch baking pan, pressing with a
    glass to smooth the dough. [censored] all over with a fork. Bake at
    275F for 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned.

    I am sure Jill's recipe will be fine too🙂)

  14. One time on Usenet said:

    I can just bet you have a really good authentic recipe. Would you post it
    for me? Puleeez????

    I'm not Ophelia (nor do I play her on TV), but I do have a wonderful
    shortbread recipe:

    Shortbread Cookies

    1 cup butter, softened
    3/4 cup sugar, granulated or powdered
    1/4 tsp. salt
    2 cups flour

    In a mixing bowl, cream the butter. Add sugar gradually and
    mix well. Combine flour and salt; add to creamed mixture. Shape
    into 2 rolls, 1 1/2 inch in diameter. Wrap in waxed paper and
    chill for at least 4 hours. Cut into 3/4 inch slices. Place on
    greased cookie sheet or baking parchment. Bake at 300° F for 20
    minutes or until slightly browned on edges. Cool for 5 minutes;
    remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

    Some nice ways to make shortbread:

    * Knead some miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips into the dough
    before making a log and slicing.
    * Roll log in coarse sugar before baking.
    * Press a pecan or walnut half into the cookie before baking.

    Some shortbread recipes call for cornstarch. I used to
    pooh-pooh that as not being classic, but I was wrong and I
    guess it makes the shortbread softer. That being said, I do
    still like the recipe above the best...

    --
    Jani in WA

  15. Oh pshaw, on Wed 21 Nov 2007 10:49:18a, Sarah meant to say...

    Quoted message said:

    This is a really good shortbread recipe Wayne, you can add the banoffee
    stuff if you wish but it's great on it's own.

    http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516509

    Sarah

    Thanks, Sarah. I will add this to this list I'm making. I'd like to try
    it both ways!

    --
    November 15th,2007
    ¦ A mind is a terrible thing to lose... ¦
    |_| _, _ _
    | |(_||_)|_)\_|
    ___ | ._|
    | |_ _ ,_ |/ , _ . .,_ _
    | | |(_|| ||\/_)(_|||/|| |(_|
    ___ ._| ._|
    .'=:-\
    /.='( ` give thanks...
    /. ^=.'-._..---.

  16. Oh pshaw, on Wed 21 Nov 2007 11:28:42a, Ophelia meant to say...

    Quoted message said:
    jmcquown said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    Oh pshaw, on Tue 20 Nov 2007 09:10:25p, jmcquown meant to say...

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> I can just bet you have a really good authentic recipe. Would you
    >> post it for me? Puleeez????

    Mannn I never saw this Wayne, sorry🙁((

    Shortbread

    11/4 lb plain lour

    6 oz cornflour

    6 oz caster sugar

    1 lb butter

    extra caster (sugar, to dredge.)

    Sift the flour, cornflour and sugar into a mixing bowl. Cut the butter
    into the dry

    ingredients, then rub the butter in with your fingertips. Mix together
    well. You can also do this in a food processor. Press the shortbread
    mixture into the tin (10" x12" [censored] the shortbread at even intervals
    with a fork, and bake in a preheated low oven (150 degrees C/300 degrees
    F/ gas2) for about 1 hour, till the shortbread is a pale golden colour.
    Take the tin out of the oven and dust the shortbread liberally with
    sugar, shaking it evenly over the surface. The sugar will stick to the
    hot shortbread. Cut the shortbread into squares and cool on a wire rack.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Would you settle for my Scottish grandmother's recipe?
    >
    > Shortbread
    >
    > 3/4 c. butter (do *not* use margarine)
    > 4 c. flour, sifted
    > 1 c. sugar
    > 1/4 tsp. salt
    >
    > Blend salt into flour. In a large mixing bowl, cream together
    > butter and sugar. Gradually stir in flour until you have a stiff
    > dough. Pat out onto a greased 6X9 inch baking pan, pressing with a
    > glass to smooth the dough. [censored] all over with a fork. Bake at
    > 275F for 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned.
    >

    I am sure Jill's recipe will be fine too🙂)

    Thanks, Ophelia. Definitely added to the top of my shortbread list. I'm
    going to make several different ones for Christmas. (I just knew there had
    to be a fair amount of cornflour in there for texture.)

    --
    November 21st,2007
    ¦ A mind is a terrible thing to lose... ¦
    |_| _, _ _
    | |(_||_)|_)\_|
    ___ | ._|
    | |_ _ ,_ |/ , _ . .,_ _
    | | |(_|| ||\/_)(_|||/|| |(_|
    ___ ._| ._|
    .'=:-\
    /.='( ` give thanks...
    /. ^=.'-._..---.

  17. Oh pshaw, on Wed 21 Nov 2007 12:19:30p, Little Malice meant to say...

    Quoted message said:
    One time on Usenet said:

    I can just bet you have a really good authentic recipe. Would you post
    it for me? Puleeez????

    I'm not Ophelia (nor do I play her on TV), but I do have a wonderful
    shortbread recipe:

    Jani, I could have sworn I saw you playing Ophelia on TV the other night!
    :-)

    This looks good, too. I have a growing list, but I'm making several
    different recipes. I like your variations!

    Quoted message said:

    Shortbread Cookies

    1 cup butter, softened
    3/4 cup sugar, granulated or powdered
    1/4 tsp. salt
    2 cups flour

    In a mixing bowl, cream the butter. Add sugar gradually and
    mix well. Combine flour and salt; add to creamed mixture. Shape
    into 2 rolls, 1 1/2 inch in diameter. Wrap in waxed paper and
    chill for at least 4 hours. Cut into 3/4 inch slices. Place on
    greased cookie sheet or baking parchment. Bake at 300° F for 20
    minutes or until slightly browned on edges. Cool for 5 minutes;
    remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

    Some nice ways to make shortbread:

    * Knead some miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips into the dough
    before making a log and slicing.
    * Roll log in coarse sugar before baking.
    * Press a pecan or walnut half into the cookie before baking.

    Some shortbread recipes call for cornstarch. I used to
    pooh-pooh that as not being classic, but I was wrong and I
    guess it makes the shortbread softer. That being said, I do
    still like the recipe above the best...

    --
    November 15th,2007
    ¦ A mind is a terrible thing to lose... ¦
    |_| _, _ _
    | |(_||_)|_)\_|
    ___ | ._|
    | |_ _ ,_ |/ , _ . .,_ _
    | | |(_|| ||\/_)(_|||/|| |(_|
    ___ ._| ._|
    .'=:-\
    /.='( ` give thanks...
    /. ^=.'-._..---.

  18. The message <F3Y0j.1590$Mr.441@trnddc04>
    from "James Silverton" <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:

    Be warned, Scottish recipes were developed in *cool* kitchens
    and the average US room temperature is too high.

    Plenty of Scots make excellent shortbread in very hot kitchens. As when
    making a short-crust pastry, work quickly with finger tips not palms,
    and don't over-handle the dough so that it goes greasy-looking.

    Janet (Scotland).

  19. Oh pshaw, on Wed 21 Nov 2007 01:23:18p, Janet Baraclough meant to say...

    Quoted message said:

    The message <F3Y0j.1590$Mr.441@trnddc04>
    from "James Silverton" <[email hidden]> contains these
    words:

    Quoted message said:

    Be warned, Scottish recipes were developed in *cool* kitchens and the
    average US room temperature is too high.

    Plenty of Scots make excellent shortbread in very hot kitchens. As when
    making a short-crust pastry, work quickly with finger tips not palms,
    and don't over-handle the dough so that it goes greasy-looking.

    Janet (Scotland).

    I've made shortbread before and not had a problem, but I wanted better
    recipes, hence my request. I can make an excellent short-crust pastry, and
    my kitchen is on the warm side. For pastry I generally pre-chill the
    ingredients and the bowl.

  20. Little wrote on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:19:30 GMT:

    ??>> I can just bet you have a really good authentic recipe.
    ??>> Would you post it for me? Puleeez????

    LM> I'm not Ophelia (nor do I play her on TV), but I do have a
    LM> wonderful shortbread recipe:

    LM> Shortbread Cookies

    LM> 1 cup butter, softened
    LM> 3/4 cup sugar, granulated or powdered
    LM> 1/4 tsp. salt
    LM> 2 cups flour

    That really looks like the recipe I recall from childhood: just
    the basic ingredients!

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.