General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Ping Pandora - I made beef jerky today

Started by ~patches~ · · Last activity · 41 posts · 968 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 November 2005
Last activity
11 November 2005
Original author
~patches~
Posts
41
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
968
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 41
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.

    Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment with. I
    normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning the strips were
    cut and marinating. Here's the pics.

    as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg

    dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg

    final product - I put 2 strips by themselves so you have a better
    ideas what it looks like.
    http://tinypic.com/fbmd94.jpg

    Note - this is not the entire batch on the plate as the dehydrator is
    still going. It will be another hour or two before all the jerky is
    finished.

  2. "~patches~" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.

    Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment with. I
    normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning the strips were
    cut and marinating. Here's the pics.

    Thank you, Pat. You are very kind if you have made it for me🙂

    Quoted message said:


    as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg

    What did you put in the marinate? It looks like tomato sauce!

    Quoted message said:


    dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg

    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I've never seen such a
    thing!
    Is it also useful for dehydrate herbs , mushrooms and tomatoes, for example?

    Quoted message said:


    final product - I put 2 strips by themselves so you have a better ideas
    what it looks like.
    http://tinypic.com/fbmd94.jpg

    Well! If you want to know, the appearance of the meat is not exactly
    inviting, even though I bet it is very good 🙂

    Quoted message said:


    Note - this is not the entire batch on the plate as the dehydrator is
    still going. It will be another hour or two before all the jerky is
    finished.

    Ah ! OK! Thank you very much for these exciting pictures of the misterious
    jerky!
    Cheers
    Pandora

  3. "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.

    Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment with. I
    normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning the strips were
    cut and marinating. Here's the pics.

    as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg

    dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg

    final product - I put 2 strips by themselves so you have a better ideas
    what it looks like.
    http://tinypic.com/fbmd94.jpg

    Note - this is not the entire batch on the plate as the dehydrator is
    still going. It will be another hour or two before all the jerky is
    finished.

    So what do you eat it with? or do you eat it on it's own? For a snack? Is
    there a simple way to make it without a dehydrator?
    You've got me interested now I've seem what it looks like!
    Sarah

  4. "Sarah" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.

    Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment with. I
    normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning the strips were
    cut and marinating. Here's the pics.

    as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg

    dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg

    final product - I put 2 strips by themselves so you have a better ideas
    what it looks like.
    http://tinypic.com/fbmd94.jpg

    Note - this is not the entire batch on the plate as the dehydrator is
    still going. It will be another hour or two before all the jerky is
    finished.

    So what do you eat it with? or do you eat it on it's own? For a snack? Is
    there a simple way to make it without a dehydrator?
    You've got me interested now I've seem what it looks like!
    Sarah

    If you look this thread, They have said yet, how to do jerky in the oven.
    Cheers
    Pandora

    Quoted message said:


  5. "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.

    Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment with.
    I normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning the strips
    were cut and marinating. Here's the pics.

    Thank you, Pat. You are very kind if you have made it for me🙂

    Quoted message said:


    as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg

    What did you put in the marinate? It looks like tomato sauce!

    Quoted message said:


    dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg

    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I've never seen such
    a thing!
    Is it also useful for dehydrate herbs , mushrooms and tomatoes, for
    example?

    Pandora I have this dehydrator and you can buy it in Europe. This site
    also gives you ideas of what you can dehydrate🙂

    http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/gen1.htm

    O

  6. "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.

    Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment with.
    I normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning the strips
    were cut and marinating. Here's the pics.

    Thank you, Pat. You are very kind if you have made it for me🙂

    Quoted message said:


    as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg

    What did you put in the marinate? It looks like tomato sauce!

    Quoted message said:


    dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg

    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I've never seen such
    a thing!
    Is it also useful for dehydrate herbs , mushrooms and tomatoes, for
    example?

    Pandora I have this dehydrator and you can buy it in Europe. This site
    also gives you ideas of what you can dehydrate🙂

    http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/gen1.htm

    O

  7. "Ophelia" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.

    Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment with. I
    normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning the strips were
    cut and marinating. Here's the pics.

    Thank you, Pat. You are very kind if you have made it for me🙂

    Quoted message said:


    as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg

    What did you put in the marinate? It looks like tomato sauce!

    Quoted message said:


    dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg

    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I've never seen such a
    thing!
    Is it also useful for dehydrate herbs , mushrooms and tomatoes, for
    example?

    Pandora I have this dehydrator and you can buy it in Europe. This site
    also gives you ideas of what you can dehydrate🙂

    http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/gen1.htm

    Ohhhhhhhh! Very interesting! Also the prices 🙂
    I don't know why they don't sell the small one in Italy! I have never seen
    them in the shops! perhaps to save the dehydrate food industry....
    Cheers
    Pandoras

  8. "Ophelia" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.

    Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment with. I
    normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning the strips were
    cut and marinating. Here's the pics.

    Thank you, Pat. You are very kind if you have made it for me🙂

    Quoted message said:


    as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg

    What did you put in the marinate? It looks like tomato sauce!

    Quoted message said:


    dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg

    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I've never seen such a
    thing!
    Is it also useful for dehydrate herbs , mushrooms and tomatoes, for
    example?

    Pandora I have this dehydrator and you can buy it in Europe. This site
    also gives you ideas of what you can dehydrate🙂

    http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/gen1.htm

    Ohhhhhhhh! Very interesting! Also the prices 🙂
    I don't know why they don't sell the small one in Italy! I have never seen
    them in the shops! perhaps to save the dehydrate food industry....
    Cheers
    Pandoras

  9. "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ophelia" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.
    >
    > Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment
    > with. I normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning
    > the strips were cut and marinating. Here's the pics.

    Thank you, Pat. You are very kind if you have made it for me🙂
    >
    > as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg

    What did you put in the marinate? It looks like tomato sauce!
    >
    > dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg

    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I've never seen
    such a thing!
    Is it also useful for dehydrate herbs , mushrooms and tomatoes, for
    example?

    Pandora I have this dehydrator and you can buy it in Europe. This
    site also gives you ideas of what you can dehydrate🙂

    http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/gen1.htm

    Ohhhhhhhh! Very interesting! Also the prices 🙂
    I don't know why they don't sell the small one in Italy! I have never
    seen them in the shops! perhaps to save the dehydrate food
    industry....

    I have never seen them in the shops either. This dehydrator is American
    and sold by an agent in England from whom I bought mine

  10. "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ophelia" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.
    >
    > Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment
    > with. I normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning
    > the strips were cut and marinating. Here's the pics.

    Thank you, Pat. You are very kind if you have made it for me🙂
    >
    > as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg

    What did you put in the marinate? It looks like tomato sauce!
    >
    > dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg

    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I've never seen
    such a thing!
    Is it also useful for dehydrate herbs , mushrooms and tomatoes, for
    example?

    Pandora I have this dehydrator and you can buy it in Europe. This
    site also gives you ideas of what you can dehydrate🙂

    http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/gen1.htm

    Ohhhhhhhh! Very interesting! Also the prices 🙂
    I don't know why they don't sell the small one in Italy! I have never
    seen them in the shops! perhaps to save the dehydrate food
    industry....

    I have never seen them in the shops either. This dehydrator is American
    and sold by an agent in England from whom I bought mine

  11. "Ophelia" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ophelia" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    >
    > "~patches~" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:[email hidden]...
    >> Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.
    >>
    >> Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment with.
    >> I normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning the strips
    >> were cut and marinating. Here's the pics.
    >
    > Thank you, Pat. You are very kind if you have made it for me🙂
    >>
    >> as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg
    >
    > What did you put in the marinate? It looks like tomato sauce!
    >>
    >> dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg
    >
    > Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I've never seen such a
    > thing!
    > Is it also useful for dehydrate herbs , mushrooms and tomatoes, for
    > example?

    Pandora I have this dehydrator and you can buy it in Europe. This site
    also gives you ideas of what you can dehydrate🙂

    http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/gen1.htm

    Ohhhhhhhh! Very interesting! Also the prices 🙂
    I don't know why they don't sell the small one in Italy! I have never
    seen them in the shops! perhaps to save the dehydrate food industry....

    I have never seen them in the shops either. This dehydrator is American
    and sold by an agent in England from whom I bought mine

    I could try to ask them how much does it costs (with shipping included).
    Because I think that shipping is more then the cost of the item in itself.
    Here is why it would be wonderful to find it in italian shops!
    BTW are you in contact with this english agent? have you got an e-mail
    address?
    I could contact him (perhaps is more convenient).

    Cheers
    Pandora

    Quoted message said:


  12. "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ophelia" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have never seen them in the shops either. This dehydrator is
    American and sold by an agent in England from whom I bought mine

    I could try to ask them how much does it costs (with shipping
    included).
    Because I think that shipping is more then the cost of the item in
    itself.
    Here is why it would be wonderful to find it in italian shops!
    BTW are you in contact with this english agent? have you got an e-mail
    address?
    I could contact him (perhaps is more convenient).

    http://www.zednet.co.uk/mayfield-services/contact.html

  13. "Ophelia" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Ophelia" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have never seen them in the shops either. This dehydrator is American
    and sold by an agent in England from whom I bought mine

    I could try to ask them how much does it costs (with shipping included).
    Because I think that shipping is more then the cost of the item in
    itself.
    Here is why it would be wonderful to find it in italian shops!
    BTW are you in contact with this english agent? have you got an e-mail
    address?
    I could contact him (perhaps is more convenient).

    http://www.zednet.co.uk/mayfield-services/contact.html

    Ophelia! THANK YOU! You are, you are... I have no words!
    But you are very very kind!
    And I sure you I will contact him!
    Cheers
    Pandora

    Quoted message said:
  14. Pandora said:

    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.

    Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment with. I
    normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning the strips were
    cut and marinating. Here's the pics.

    Thank you, Pat. You are very kind if you have made it for me🙂

    No problem 🙂 By kids have been after some and we were out. I'll be
    making a couple more batches.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg

    What did you put in the marinate? It looks like tomato sauce!

    This marinate is a spicey homemade bbq sauce with a little soy sauce,
    worchestershire sauce, & spices added. I use different marinates for a
    variety of jerky. We tend to like it on the spicey side though.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg

    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I've never seen such a
    thing!

    It's very handy to have. Mine is quite old and this may be the last
    year I use it as I have my eye on an Excaliber dehydrator. They are the
    top line dehydrators 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    Is it also useful for dehydrate herbs , mushrooms and tomatoes, for example?

    Quoted message said:

    final product - I put 2 strips by themselves so you have a better ideas
    what it looks like.
    http://tinypic.com/fbmd94.jpg

    Well! If you want to know, the appearance of the meat is not exactly
    inviting, even though I bet it is very good 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    Note - this is not the entire batch on the plate as the dehydrator is
    still going. It will be another hour or two before all the jerky is
    finished.

    Ah ! OK! Thank you very much for these exciting pictures of the misterious
    jerky!
    Cheers
    Pandora

  15. Sarah said:

    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.

    Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment with. I
    normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning the strips were
    cut and marinating. Here's the pics.

    as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg

    dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg

    final product - I put 2 strips by themselves so you have a better ideas
    what it looks like.
    http://tinypic.com/fbmd94.jpg

    Note - this is not the entire batch on the plate as the dehydrator is
    still going. It will be another hour or two before all the jerky is
    finished.

    So what do you eat it with? or do you eat it on it's own? For a snack? Is
    there a simple way to make it without a dehydrator?
    You've got me interested now I've seem what it looks like!
    Sarah


    Sarah, we eat it as a snack. I generally keep a container of it in the
    fridge or cupboard so we just grab a piece when we feel like a snack.
    There really is no need to refrigerate it. The simplest dehydrator
    consists of a wood frame with a piece of screening attached so if you
    wanted to make one it is fairly easy. However, the easiest way to do
    jerky without a dehydrator is to place cooling racks (the metal racks
    you cool cakes on) onto a large cookie sheet to catch any drips then dry
    in the oven at a very low heat - 150 F. I would suggest this method to
    see if you like jerky before you invest in a dehydrator. If you watch
    the sales you should be able to pick up one for about $30. Excalibur is
    the top of the line costing a little over $200. Other things we enjoy
    dehydrated include - apple slices for snacking & floating in hot apple
    cider, banana chips for snacking, herbs, onions, zucchini, mushrooms.

  16. Ophelia said:

    "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.

    Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment with.
    I normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning the strips
    were cut and marinating. Here's the pics.

    Thank you, Pat. You are very kind if you have made it for me🙂

    Quoted message said:

    as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg

    What did you put in the marinate? It looks like tomato sauce!

    Quoted message said:

    dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg

    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I've never seen such
    a thing!
    Is it also useful for dehydrate herbs , mushrooms and tomatoes, for
    example?

    Pandora I have this dehydrator and you can buy it in Europe. This site
    also gives you ideas of what you can dehydrate🙂

    http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/gen1.htm

    I'm drooling! This is the one I want to replace my current dehydrator
    with. I *need* the 9 tray model.

    Quoted message said:

    O

  17. "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ophelia said:

    "Pandora" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    >Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.
    >
    >Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment
    >with. I normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning the
    >strips were cut and marinating. Here's the pics.

    Thank you, Pat. You are very kind if you have made it for me🙂

    >as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg

    What did you put in the marinate? It looks like tomato sauce!

    >dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg

    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I've never seen such
    a thing!
    Is it also useful for dehydrate herbs , mushrooms and tomatoes, for
    example?

    Pandora I have this dehydrator and you can buy it in Europe. This
    site also gives you ideas of what you can dehydrate🙂

    http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/gen1.htm

    I'm drooling! This is the one I want to replace my current dehydrator
    with. I *need* the 9 tray model.

    Check on the footprint size. I can't fit mine into the kitchen and have
    to haul it out whenever I want to use it🙂

  18. "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Sarah said:

    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.

    Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment with. I
    normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning the strips were
    cut and marinating. Here's the pics.

    as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg

    dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg

    final product - I put 2 strips by themselves so you have a better ideas
    what it looks like.
    http://tinypic.com/fbmd94.jpg

    Note - this is not the entire batch on the plate as the dehydrator is
    still going. It will be another hour or two before all the jerky is
    finished.

    So what do you eat it with? or do you eat it on it's own? For a snack? Is
    there a simple way to make it without a dehydrator?
    You've got me interested now I've seem what it looks like!
    Sarah


    Sarah, we eat it as a snack. I generally keep a container of it in the
    fridge or cupboard so we just grab a piece when we feel like a snack.
    There really is no need to refrigerate it. The simplest dehydrator
    consists of a wood frame with a piece of screening attached so if you
    wanted to make one it is fairly easy. However, the easiest way to do
    jerky without a dehydrator is to place cooling racks (the metal racks you
    cool cakes on) onto a large cookie sheet to catch any drips then dry in
    the oven at a very low heat - 150 F. I would suggest this method to see
    if you like jerky before you invest in a dehydrator. If you watch the
    sales you should be able to pick up one for about $30. Excalibur is the
    top of the line costing a little over $200. Other things we enjoy
    dehydrated include - apple slices for snacking & floating in hot apple
    cider, banana chips for snacking, herbs, onions, zucchini, mushrooms.

    I'm going to do some research with the recipes and have a go at the jerky,
    I'm sure it would be something we'd like!
    I'm learning all sorts of great food ideas here, especially the pumpkin pie
    and pumpkin cheesecake recipes!
    I'll try the oven method like you suggest before spending big bucks!
    Thanks
    Sarah

  19. Sarah said:

    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Sarah said:

    "~patches~" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    >Pandora, here are some pics of the homemade jerky process.
    >
    >Early yesterday morning I picked up a round roast to experiment with. I
    >normally use sirloin tip for beef jerky. By mid morning the strips were
    >cut and marinating. Here's the pics.
    >
    >as the strips looked this morning - http://tinypic.com/fbm7wl.jpg
    >
    >dehydrator loaded & working - http://tinypic.com/fbmaev.jpg
    >
    >final product - I put 2 strips by themselves so you have a better ideas
    >what it looks like.
    >http://tinypic.com/fbmd94.jpg
    >
    >Note - this is not the entire batch on the plate as the dehydrator is
    >still going. It will be another hour or two before all the jerky is
    >finished.

    So what do you eat it with? or do you eat it on it's own? For a snack? Is
    there a simple way to make it without a dehydrator?
    You've got me interested now I've seem what it looks like!
    Sarah

    Sarah, we eat it as a snack. I generally keep a container of it in the
    fridge or cupboard so we just grab a piece when we feel like a snack.
    There really is no need to refrigerate it. The simplest dehydrator
    consists of a wood frame with a piece of screening attached so if you
    wanted to make one it is fairly easy. However, the easiest way to do
    jerky without a dehydrator is to place cooling racks (the metal racks you
    cool cakes on) onto a large cookie sheet to catch any drips then dry in
    the oven at a very low heat - 150 F. I would suggest this method to see
    if you like jerky before you invest in a dehydrator. If you watch the
    sales you should be able to pick up one for about $30. Excalibur is the
    top of the line costing a little over $200. Other things we enjoy
    dehydrated include - apple slices for snacking & floating in hot apple
    cider, banana chips for snacking, herbs, onions, zucchini, mushrooms.

    I'm going to do some research with the recipes and have a go at the jerky,

    Recipes for jerky marinade can be simple or complex. The simplest is to
    use commercial bbq sauce. I like using homemade using worcestershire
    sauce, soy sauce, and spices. You can even buy pre-made jerky marinade
    mixes. I saw them at Dunham's - a sporting store.
    Here's a website to get you going
    http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/misc/jerky.html

    Quoted message said:

    I'm sure it would be something we'd like!
    I'm learning all sorts of great food ideas here, especially the pumpkin pie
    and pumpkin cheesecake recipes!

    Don't forget to roast those pumpkin seeds for another tasty treat!

    Quoted message said:

    I'll try the oven method like you suggest before spending big bucks!
    Thanks
    Sarah


  20. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Pandora I have this dehydrator and you can buy it in Europe. This site
    also gives you ideas of what you can dehydrate🙂

    http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/gen1.htm

    I'm drooling! This is the one I want to replace my current dehydrator
    with. I *need* the 9 tray model.

    Quoted message said:

    O

    The square dehydrator is wonderful. Do get the model with the timer. I have
    the 9 tray model and I love it. Makes about 4 1/2 lbs of jerky in about 4
    1/2 hours. It can also be usecd to makes fruit rollups, yogurt, raise bread
    dough, dry herbs, etc.
    It is my understanding that the round models of dehydrators only have the
    fan on the bottom and so the jerky does not dry evenly throughout the
    machine. On the excalibur model, the fan is in the back in the middle of the
    box and dries more uniformly.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.