mags said:My friend and I are planning to do a 3 day cycle trip of around 100
miles. We found out about the cycle path from pitlochry, so anywhere
from there. We wouldn't want to go on the A9 as its too busy, but any
of the b roads would do. Has anyone done such a cycle around this
area and if so could you suggest a senic route and some nice b&bs that
we could stay in.
We live in livingston so we would probably maybe drive to where the
cycle will end, get the train back the way and cycle back up if you
know what I mean - any other suggestions would be welcome.
Last year I cycled from Stirling through Callandar and Killin to
Aberfeldy and the Weem Bunkhouse, which is a few hundred yards from a
good restaurant. Weem is not that far from Pitlochry, but I took a less
busy route north on the second day over some big hills through Tummel
Bridge and Trinafour to join the National Cycle Route path through
Glengarry (because as you rightly say, the A9 is not appealing; though
the cycle path alongside is seldom pretty being wedged between a busy
dual carriageway and a shabby railway, often narrow, has a bad surface
in parts, abruptly changes direction in places so that cornering has to
be slow and features cattle grids that have been blocked off by someone
tieing barriers across them forcing cyclists to dismount and open/close
the gate alongside etc.) to the disused railway line through Glen Ogle
(very pretty) and finally Newtonmore to Aviemore where I stopped in a
hostel again, next to fine pub with decent food. From there it's a short
ride to Inverness, although I went east instead, through Nethy Bridge,
Grantown, Bridge of Brown, Tomintoul, Glenlivet, Dufftown, Huntly and
finally south from there and over Suie Hill to stay at an inn at Bridge
of Alford before I went home.
If you were going from Aviemore to Inverness and wanted to add something
to the journey, I'd recommend going towards Inverness until Daviot, go
north-east to Croy, Ardersier and Fort George. This is allegedly the
finest surviving example of 18th century military engineering in Europe,
built just after the nearby battle (massacre) of Culloden and in very
good shape as it has never been attacked and has been in continuous use
by the army. You can get refreshments in the NAAFI or the tourist cafe.
The people looking after tourists there were very good about my bike,
suggesting I put it in the entrance building where they kept an eye on
it and all its luggage instead of leaving it in the rather exposed car
park where there is nothing to lock it to. Well worth two or three hours
(it's big) before going along the coast road back to Inverness.
Alternatively you could spend a few hours wandering about the site of
the battle of Culloden itself, where there is also a good cafe.
I don't think you can go far wrong so long as you don't mind hills. It's
almost all good cycling around there.
--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap