Please help diagnose knee problem

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jack, Dec 4, 2005.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Age 61. For past 12 months, pain behind one knee prevented squatting
    (like a baseball catcher) but did not prevent daily jogging, leg
    curls, or leg extensions.

    Condition worsened last Wednesday after doing a set of leg curls and
    while trying to do leg extensions. Pain now prevents daily jogging on
    flat surface. Pain primarily upon flexion of knee. Going downhill
    or down steps is worse than going uphill or up steps. Able to slowly
    jog up steep driveway hill but with some discomfort. Discomfort in
    semi-flexed position after 10 minutes of driving car. Sometimes sharp
    pain upon arising after sitting. Sometimes a clicking feeling when
    picking something up from floor. No pain in front of knee, patella
    area. Knee does not feel unstable like a 3rd degree ligament tear.
    No pain at rest. Knee feels best after sleep.

    Opinions, if you please. If I have to give up the daily run, they
    might as well shoot me. Thank you, Jack

    Tags:

  2. thehick

    thehick Guest

    Is there a bump behind the bad knee?
    ....thehick

  3. Gregg Fowler

    Gregg Fowler Guest

    Jack wrote:
    > Age 61. For past 12 months, pain behind one knee prevented squatting
    > (like a baseball catcher) but did not prevent daily jogging, leg
    > curls, or leg extensions.
    >
    > Condition worsened last Wednesday after doing a set of leg curls and
    > while trying to do leg extensions. Pain now prevents daily jogging on
    > flat surface. Pain primarily upon flexion of knee. Going downhill
    > or down steps is worse than going uphill or up steps. Able to slowly
    > jog up steep driveway hill but with some discomfort. Discomfort in
    > semi-flexed position after 10 minutes of driving car. Sometimes sharp
    > pain upon arising after sitting. Sometimes a clicking feeling when
    > picking something up from floor. No pain in front of knee, patella
    > area. Knee does not feel unstable like a 3rd degree ligament tear.
    > No pain at rest. Knee feels best after sleep.
    >
    > Opinions, if you please. If I have to give up the daily run, they
    > might as well shoot me. Thank you, Jack

    I think it would be better for a Doctor to diagnose. I would suggest and
    Orthopedic. Sounds like a torn or worn Meniscus to me.

    Gregg

  4. "Jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Age 61. For past 12 months, pain behind one knee prevented squatting
    > (like a baseball catcher) but did not prevent daily jogging, leg
    > curls, or leg extensions.
    >
    > Condition worsened last Wednesday after doing a set of leg curls and
    > while trying to do leg extensions. Pain now prevents daily jogging on
    > flat surface. Pain primarily upon flexion of knee. Going downhill
    > or down steps is worse than going uphill or up steps. Able to slowly
    > jog up steep driveway hill but with some discomfort. Discomfort in
    > semi-flexed position after 10 minutes of driving car. Sometimes sharp
    > pain upon arising after sitting. Sometimes a clicking feeling when
    > picking something up from floor. No pain in front of knee, patella
    > area. Knee does not feel unstable like a 3rd degree ligament tear.
    > No pain at rest. Knee feels best after sleep.
    >
    > Opinions, if you please. If I have to give up the daily run, they
    > might as well shoot me. Thank you, Jack

    Diagnosis is best left to a doctor. That said ...

    Knee worse down stairs than up is classic chondromalatia patella or
    Runner's Knee. Causes vary but patella tracking is usually what's at
    issue. Patellar tracking gets messed up for a variety of reasons and
    therefore treatments vary. Among the things you can try, in the order
    I'd try them.

    1. Lay on your back and do pretend bicycling motions, leading with the
    heel and fully straightening the leg. Try to work up to several sets of
    10 reps throughout the day (one morning and one evening if you can't
    make more time than that) and eventually try to work up to more than 10
    reps at a time - 50-100 would be good. The goal is relaxed, fluid
    motion - think about the old cyclist's adage to "pedal circles." Go for
    smooth and relatively rapid movement.

    2. Give up on leg curls and leg extensions entirely, period. Learn to
    squat instead. There are many ways to squat, e.g., staying flat on your
    feet at the bottom or coming up on your toes instead, wide or narrow
    stance, with and without weight, etc. The goal is to squat deeply, with
    full flexion of the knee. One could write a book on the subject of
    squatting and people have done just that. Google "hindu squat" and try
    that style for a starter. It will feel very foreign to you as a runner.

    3. Consider imbalances of strength and/or flexibility as they relate to
    patellar tracking. Be sure your hamstrings are well stretched and your
    quads as well. Stretch your calves, too.

    4. Try sitting on a table or firm chair and doing leg extensions but
    without any weight, using the very end of the motion, i.e., don't bend
    the knee more than 30 degrees (not 90 like you used to), and pause for a
    second or two at full extension unless that's painful.

    You asked for opinions - you got mine for free and that's about what
    it's worth. :)

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  5. SwStudio

    SwStudio Guest

  6. On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 22:39:07 -0500, "SwStudio"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Now there's a name I haven't seen here in some time!

    Thank you. Do you like to see me dance in my hot pink tutu?

    Steve Friedes "The Tiny Ballerina"

  7. Joe Humble

    Joe Humble Guest

    On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 21:09:56 -0500, "Steve Freides"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Diagnosis is best left to a doctor. That said ...
    >
    >Knee worse down stairs than up is classic chondromalatia patella or
    >Runner's Knee. Causes vary but patella tracking is usually what's at
    >issue. Patellar tracking gets messed up for a variety of reasons and
    >therefore treatments vary. Among the things you can try, in the order
    >I'd try them.
    >
    >1. Lay on your back and do pretend bicycling motions, leading with the
    >heel and fully straightening the leg. Try to work up to several sets of
    >10 reps throughout the day (one morning and one evening if you can't
    >make more time than that) and eventually try to work up to more than 10
    >reps at a time - 50-100 would be good. The goal is relaxed, fluid
    >motion - think about the old cyclist's adage to "pedal circles." Go for
    >smooth and relatively rapid movement.
    >
    >2. Give up on leg curls and leg extensions entirely, period. Learn to
    >squat instead. There are many ways to squat, e.g., staying flat on your
    >feet at the bottom or coming up on your toes instead, wide or narrow
    >stance, with and without weight, etc. The goal is to squat deeply, with
    >full flexion of the knee. One could write a book on the subject of
    >squatting and people have done just that. Google "hindu squat" and try
    >that style for a starter. It will feel very foreign to you as a runner.
    >
    >3. Consider imbalances of strength and/or flexibility as they relate to
    >patellar tracking. Be sure your hamstrings are well stretched and your
    >quads as well. Stretch your calves, too.
    >
    >4. Try sitting on a table or firm chair and doing leg extensions but
    >without any weight, using the very end of the motion, i.e., don't bend
    >the knee more than 30 degrees (not 90 like you used to), and pause for a
    >second or two at full extension unless that's painful.
    >
    >You asked for opinions - you got mine for free and that's about what
    >it's worth. :)

    punk, front squats, deep...will straighten those patellar right out.

    You've seen it, in the back of the gym where the bar rides high, and
    threatens lives.

    heh, going retro on your ass.

    --
    Is this thing on?

  8. > Is there a bump behind the bad knee?
    > ...thehick

    If there is, what does that mean? I have a similar problem with a bump
    behind the bad knee. My doc thinks it's fluids with no place to go. I'm not
    convinced that it hasn't always been there. It is not sore to the touch at
    all. Obviously from your question the bump means something.

    Tom

    --
    www.DuendeDrama.org
    Bringing Plays and Stories

  9. the pain from semi bend while driving a car after 10 minutes imo
    eliminates the runner's knee/patella tracking & ligaments. i believe
    it's one of the menisci.

    bruise or some measure of tear. bad news is there is very little blood
    flow there, recovery is protracted with age, and it's possible it can
    never heal short of surgery.

    i've got a similar problem except i can function, but not run...and
    don't want to consider going under the knife. i'm hoping i have
    bruising shy of a tear and simply need to heal... i'm hoping 2 months
    off and while damn near OD'ing on glucosamine, chondroitin, Fatty
    Acids, and Shark Cartilage heals the injury.

    http://www.myvitanet.com/ar3.html

  10. Waterbaby999

    Waterbaby999 Guest

    Get it checked out - could be a meniscal tear if the knee is clicking,
    with or without a ligament tear (there's lots of ligaments in the knee!)
    especially if you ever experience locking. See a physiotherapist if you
    can, they should be able to give you some kind of diagnosis :)