Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Plenty 'O Wheelset questions

Started by Hell and High Water · · Last activity · 6 posts · 438 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
14 October 2005
Last activity
15 October 2005
Original author
Hell and High Water
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
438
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Looking at these...

    http://tinyurl.com/cd6he

    Basically, I'd like to upgrade the look of my wheels, and possibly a
    step up on the quality. Mine are quite old, and the spokes are quite
    corroded.

    I have an older bike with seven cogs in the back. I have no idea what
    I'm looking for in a new wheelset, and I've got tons of questions.

    I have 700x23 tires, BTW.

    What types of wheelsets are out there? What are the key differences,
    and what will fit my bike? (...and how will I be able to tell.)

    Also, are used wheelsets a viable option? Or should I avoid them like a
    used Oldsmobile transmission?

    Any other suggestions would be MOST appreciated.

    -Bianchi Bob

  2. Hell and High Water said:

    Looking at these...

    http://tinyurl.com/cd6he

    Quoted message said:

    I have 700x23 tires, BTW.

    If you have 700x23 tires, you have a road bike. The BlueSky wheels are
    for a mountain bike, which means they are too small in diameter for
    your bike. You also need to determine your frame spacing and whether
    you have a cassette or freewheel. A bike shop can sort all this stuff
    out for you.

    Otherwise, sheldonbrown.com has all the info you need:
    Spacing: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
    Freewheel vs. cassette: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
    Wheel of appropriate diameter:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels/622.html

    -Vee

  3. sign up for a coloroado cyclist and a nashbar catalog
    check out the nbar's double wall 27" set for $100

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    sign up for a coloroado cyclist and a nashbar catalog
    check out the nbar's double wall 27" set for $100

    Now yer talkin'

    -Bob

  5. Don't think you want 27" if you already have 700c. Brake caliper reach
    would be an issue.

    Good luck and take your time - you obviously have many opportunities
    for improving your bike tech knowledge.

    App

  6. Hell and High Water said:


    I have an older bike with seven cogs in the back. I have no idea what
    I'm looking for in a new wheelset, and I've got tons of questions.

    I have 700x23 tires, BTW.


    Then you will need 700c rims. 7 speed hubs may be hard to find
    though... but I think you can get a spacer to put a 7 speed cluster on
    an 8,9 speed hub. You probably have 126mm spacing too... modern hubs
    for road bikes will be 130mm, but you can probably just spread the
    dropouts a little... 4mm isn't much.

    You may want to consider these inexpensive wheels for $85:
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=131&subcategory=1197&brand=&sku=14430&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

    Or the first three on this page:
    http://www.supergo.com/itemlist.cfm?lsubcat_id=7569&lcat_id=7605

    Consider the Korso wheels if you want something with a "modern" look. I
    think they are probably a good value if you want 16 spoke wheels. The
    aero rim and bladed spokes should allow you to go a little faster, but
    this is only important if you are racing. The Ultegra/Open Pro wheels
    are probably the best all around for every day use. You can get wheels
    like these from a number of places... your local shop may even offer
    them for a similar price.

    Are you sure you wouldn't like to get a whole new bike? If your wheels
    are corroded, what does the rest of the bike look like?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.