polar heart monitor/how does it work???

chezruss

Guest
hi there
I m hoping someone can help me please. i recently bought a polar heart
monitor from my local charity shop, but there were no instructions
with it/ its made in finland and on the watch type affair is written
polar favor. by pressing the 2 buttons on it i can getit to read 120,
150, and a heart symbol but it doesnt appear to pick up my heartbeat
from the waist band.
battery in wrist part must be ok but does the waist band also have a
battery as i cant see where one would go???
anyone know about these please. thanks

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:27:22 -0700, chezruss <[email protected]>
wrote:

>hi there
>I m hoping someone can help me please. i recently bought a polar heart
>monitor from my local charity shop, but there were no instructions
>with it/ its made in finland and on the watch type affair is written
>polar favor. by pressing the 2 buttons on it i can getit to read 120,
>150, and a heart symbol but it doesnt appear to pick up my heartbeat
>from the waist band.
>battery in wrist part must be ok but does the waist band also have a
>battery as i cant see where one would go???
>anyone know about these please. thanks

Go to
http://support.polar.fi/PKBSupport.nsf/usermanuals?OpenForm

and find your model and preferred language to download the manual.
Then go and learn how to use a search engine and stop bothering the
grown ups.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

chezruss said:
hi there
I m hoping someone can help me please. i recently bought a polar heart
monitor from my local charity shop, but there were no instructions
with it/ its made in finland and on the watch type affair is written
polar favor. by pressing the 2 buttons on it i can getit to read 120,
150, and a heart symbol but it doesnt appear to pick up my heartbeat
from the waist band.
battery in wrist part must be ok but does the waist band also have a
battery as i cant see where one would go???
anyone know about these please. thanks
First, it is a chest strap, not a waist band. If you are wearing it around your waist, it will never pick up your heartbeat. Moisten the strap where it will contact your skin, and put it around your chest just under your pecs. Then, touch the pickup unit to the chest strap. This will start the unit. If the batteries are working in both the transmitter and receiver, it should register a reading. If it does not, the batteries are dead.
Now for the fun part. Polar monitors are not user serviceable. You will have to send it to polar for battery replacement. This will be just marginally cheaper than buying a new unit.

"chezruss" wrote: (clip) it doesnt appear to pick up my heartbeat from the
waist band. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think you've given us a clue--that's not a waist band, it's a chest band.
Unless your anatomy is quite unusual, your heart is up where your nipples
are, and that's where the signal needs to be picked up. If I recall
correctly, Polar wants you to send the chest band to them when the battery
needs replacing.

On Oct 25, 12:27 am, chezruss <[email protected]> wrote:
> hi there
> I m hoping someone can help me please. i recently bought a polar heart
> monitor from my local charity shop, but there were no instructions
> with it/ its made in finland and on the watch type affair is written
> polar favor. by pressing the 2 buttons on it i can getit to read 120,
> 150, and a heart symbol but it doesnt appear to pick up my heartbeat
> from the waist band.
> battery in wrist part must be ok but does the waist band also have a
> battery as i cant see where one would go???
> anyone know about these please. thanks

thanks to you all with your useful suggestions. credit to everyone as
monitor is working now, and i ve found out that my heart is actually
not in my stomach as the polar guarantee indicated by a photo of a
pinup blonde, wearing band below ribcage. the main thing i wasnt doin
tho was to moisten the contacts. so thanks again guys

Kinky Cowboy wrote:
> and find your model and preferred language to download the manual.
> Then go and learn how to use a search engine and stop bothering the
> grown ups.

Grown ups where? This is rec.bicycles.tech, you know!

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!

"chezruss" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hi there
> I m hoping someone can help me please. i recently bought a polar heart
> monitor from my local charity shop, but there were no instructions
> with it/ its made in finland and on the watch type affair is written
> polar favor. by pressing the 2 buttons on it i can getit to read 120,
> 150, and a heart symbol but it doesnt appear to pick up my heartbeat
> from the waist band.
> battery in wrist part must be ok but does the waist band also have a
> battery as i cant see where one would go???
> anyone know about these please. thanks

Did you moisten the contact of the chestband?
Also the transmitter and receiver have to be close enough to work
-tom

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:52:16 +1000, Dan Burkhart
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Now for the fun part. Polar monitors are not user serviceable. You
>will have to send it to polar for battery replacement.

Only if you don't want to void the warranty. I just changed the
battery in my 'non user-serviceable S720i, cost about $10 incl
shipping from an online battery shop. I doubt whether the OP is too
concerned about warranty issues, given that he picked it up in a
charity shop
Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts