UK and Europe · Public discussion

Police joggers in cycle helmets!?

Started by Tom Crispin · · Last activity · 19 posts · 866 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
6 April 2008
Last activity
9 April 2008
Original author
Tom Crispin
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
866
Views / 30 days
32
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Watching the Olympic torch being taken through London, I was surprised
    to see a great many police jogging alongside wearing cycle helmets.
    Why!?

  2. Tom Crispin writtificated

    Quoted message said:

    Watching the Olympic torch being taken through London, I was surprised
    to see a great many police jogging alongside wearing cycle helmets.
    Why!?

    Rollocks, you beat me to it 😉

    I think they're retasked bicycle police. The alternative is that the
    police felt head protection was necessary, but that traditional helmets
    weren't available and riot helmets OTT. On reflection, that seems
    silly, so my money is on retasked bike cops. They don't carry police
    hats with them, so they'd have had to keep their cycle helmets on or go
    <shock-horror> bare headed in public.

  3. "Tom Crispin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Watching the Olympic torch being taken through London, I was surprised
    to see a great many police jogging alongside wearing cycle helmets.
    Why!?

    Possibly because they were previously on bicycles

  4. Mark T writtificated

    Quoted message said:

    I think they're retasked bicycle police.

    Watched a bit on the news and most seemed to be wearing clear cycling
    glasses, so looks like they're retasked cycle cops.

  5. On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 16:33:58 +0100 someone who may be Tom Crispin
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    Watching the Olympic torch being taken through London, I was surprised
    to see a great many police jogging alongside wearing cycle helmets.
    Why!?

    They started off on bicycles. At some point they abandoned them.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh
    I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54

  6. Mark T said:

    Mark T writtificated

    Quoted message said:

    I think they're retasked bicycle police.

    Watched a bit on the news and most seemed to be wearing clear cycling
    glasses, so looks like they're retasked cycle cops.


    On some pix on the BBC news site they had their bikes. Perhaps they
    abandoned them as they got in the way of their chasing down and tackling
    protestors.
    Any news of the Sheldon Brown Ride?

  7. On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 19:33:11 +0100 someone who may be Dan Gregory
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    On some pix on the BBC news site they had their bikes. Perhaps they
    abandoned them as they got in the way of their chasing down and tackling
    protestors.

    I think they abandoned them when they realised they needed three
    circles of bods shoulder to shoulder around the person supporting
    the evil regime in China by carrying the torch. An excellent example
    of non-violent direct action by the protestors though, as one would
    expect given the cause.

    Anyway the real "flame" was kept on the bus at all times, as could
    be seen when the torches were turned off as the regime supporters
    got on the bus.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh
    I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54

  8. On 6 Apr 2008 15:46:33 GMT, Mark T
    <pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>

    Quoted message said:

    Tom Crispin writtificated

    Quoted message said:

    Watching the Olympic torch being taken through London, I was surprised
    to see a great many police jogging alongside wearing cycle helmets.
    Why!?

    Rollocks, you beat me to it 😉

    I think they're retasked bicycle police. The alternative is that the
    police felt head protection was necessary, but that traditional helmets
    weren't available and riot helmets OTT. On reflection, that seems
    silly, so my money is on retasked bike cops. They don't carry police
    hats with them, so they'd have had to keep their cycle helmets on or go
    <shock-horror> bare headed in public.

    I cycled down to Greenwich today (and had loads of adventures). I was
    in pole position to see the flame come off the boat and be carried
    ashore. As the police jogged up the gangway with Ellen McArthur they
    were still wearing their cycle helmets.

    http://www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/flame/P4066342.JPG
    Ellen holding the flame at the boat's bow.
    http://www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/flame/P4066337.JPG
    Zoomed in on the police in the boat a few seconds earlier.
    http://www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/flame/P4066365.JPG
    Ellen dwarfed by jogging police in cycle helmets on the gangway.

    And off-topic...
    http://www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/flame/P4066405.JPG
    The flame leaving the Dome. I cycled *within* the convoy - next to
    the bus for about 1000 metres.
    http://www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/flame/P4066384.JPG
    A sea of protest against the Beijing Olympics.

  9. David Hansen said:

    On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 19:33:11 +0100 someone who may be Dan Gregory
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    On some pix on the BBC news site they had their bikes. Perhaps they
    abandoned them as they got in the way of their chasing down and tackling
    protestors.

    I think they abandoned them when they realised they needed three
    circles of bods shoulder to shoulder around the person supporting
    the evil regime in China by carrying the torch. An excellent example
    of non-violent direct action by the protestors though, as one would
    expect given the cause.

    Anyway the real "flame" was kept on the bus at all times, as could
    be seen when the torches were turned off as the regime supporters
    got on the bus.

    I'd be surprised if the torch was not lit by the real flame. The
    Chinese would suffer a great loss of face if it was revealed that the
    torch was not lit by the real flame.

    I can't really see carrying the flame as anything other than
    supporting the Olympic ideal. Buying "made in China" goods does more
    to support the Chinese Government. Do you think that the Chinese
    Politburo would have been made *more* aware of World public opinion
    had the flame not travelled to London?

  10. On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 19:33:11 +0100,

    Dan Gregory said:
    Mark T said:

    Mark T writtificated

    Quoted message said:

    I think they're retasked bicycle police.

    Watched a bit on the news and most seemed to be wearing clear cycling
    glasses, so looks like they're retasked cycle cops.


    On some pix on the BBC news site they had their bikes. Perhaps they
    abandoned them as they got in the way of their chasing down and tackling
    protestors.
    Any news of the Sheldon Brown Ride?


    I was on it. It was good (if rather slow so my hands got a bit cold and
    I wished I'd taken an extra layer to wear)

    I didn't stop at the pub at the end.

    I've got a video of the ride at 10x speed if anyone is interested (It's
    not that exciting). It's rather big (70M). Anyone a youtube person who
    can upload it to there? I don't think I'll be too popular if post it on
    the normal server I post them to. (I've lost the last 10mins or so - I
    forgot to put the camera to 15 frames/sec so ran out of space)

    Tim.

    --
    God said, "div D = rho, div B = 0, curl E = - @B/@t, curl H = J + @D/@t,"
    and there was light.

    http://tjw.hn.org/ http://www.locofungus.btinternet.co.uk/

  11. On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 19:49:18 +0100 someone who may be Tom Crispin
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    I can't really see carrying the flame as anything other than
    supporting the Olympic ideal.

    The "tradition" of the torch relay was introduced for political
    reasons in 1936. It has become a means of big business promoting
    their wares; though I doubt if Samsung, Coca-Cola and Lenovo will
    think that they got any good publicity out of their money on this
    occasion. The first are the ones who appeared to have their name
    dragged through the mud in the mass media the most, the latter had
    less coverage and the latter none at all. However, they may have had
    more exposure on the streets, I gather the middle ones had "dancing
    girls" on a lorry in front of the "sacred" flame runners.

    "Olympic ideal"? These people run round in circles fast, throw
    things long distances, ride bikes in circles, swim fast and so on.
    All very worthy for those that take part and those who want to watch
    them, but utterly unimportant. They are only games, leisure
    activities, certainly nothing to do with all the worthy words about
    harmony which the sporting lobby hide behind. Given that the relay
    was introduced for political reasons it doesn't do the sporting
    lobby any good to now claim that it should not be political.

    The sporting lobby tied themselves to the vile regime in China. They
    have been held to account by the public on the streets of London and
    Paris. Hopefully the same thing will happen tomorrow. The big-heads
    of the sporting lobby have been given a bit of education, which is
    excellent.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh
    I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54

  12. On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 19:38:43 +0100 someone who may be Tom Crispin
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/flame/P4066365.JPG
    Ellen dwarfed by jogging police in cycle helmets on the gangway.

    An excellent photograph which demonstrates the pointlessness of the
    whole exercise.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh
    I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54

  13. David Hansen writtificated:

    Quoted message said:

    Bah! Humbug!

    I've summarised your post 😉

  14. Quoting Tim Woodall <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:
    Dan Gregory said:

    Any news of the Sheldon Brown Ride?


    I was on it.

    So was I, the solo tandem rider.

    Quoted message said:

    It was good (if rather slow so my hands got a bit cold and
    I wished I'd taken an extra layer to wear)

    I was fine when we were rolling, but got very cold waiting to set off.

    Quoted message said:

    I didn't stop at the pub at the end.

    I stopped for a swift one which turned into a few...
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Kill the tomato!
    Today is Second Epithumia, April - a weekend.

  15. On Apr 8, 2:29 pm, David Damerell <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Quoting Tim Woodall <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:
    Dan Gregory said:

    Any news of the Sheldon Brown Ride?


    I was on it.

    So was I, the solo tandem rider.


    I'm the only cyclist in the cycle lane in the picture immediately
    below the text "Speakers Corner, Hyde Park meeting point." (on the
    Brompton) in Tony's pictures.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It was good (if rather slow so my hands got a bit cold and
    I wished I'd taken an extra layer to wear)

    I was fine when we were rolling, but got very cold waiting to set off.


    I only got there on the dot of 13:30 so I didn't have to hang round
    for very long (about 15 mins I think)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I didn't stop at the pub at the end.

    I stopped for a swift one which turned into a few...

    That's what I was worried about and I had things I needed to do at
    home.

    Tim.

  16. On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 19:49:18 +0100, Tom Crispin
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [Apologies - your message has been deleted from my server so I have
    recovered it from Google.]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I can't really see carrying the flame as anything other than
    supporting the Olympic ideal.

    The "tradition" of the torch relay was introduced for political
    reasons in 1936. It has become a means of big business promoting
    think that they got any good publicity out of their money on this
    occasion. The first are the ones who appeared to have their name
    dragged through the mud in the mass media the most, the latter had
    less coverage and the latter none at all. However, they may have had
    more exposure on the streets, I gather the middle ones had "dancing
    girls" on a lorry in front of the "sacred" flame runners.

    "Olympic ideal"? These people run round in circles fast, throw
    things long distances, ride bikes in circles, swim fast and so on.
    All very worthy for those that take part and those who want to watch
    them, but utterly unimportant. They are only games, leisure
    activities, certainly nothing to do with all the worthy words about
    harmony which the sporting lobby hide behind. Given that the relay
    was introduced for political reasons it doesn't do the sporting
    lobby any good to now claim that it should not be political.

    The sporting lobby tied themselves to the vile regime in China. They
    have been held to account by the public on the streets of London and
    Paris. Hopefully the same thing will happen tomorrow. The big-heads
    of the sporting lobby have been given a bit of education, which is
    excellent.

    OK - so the torch relay is political. Awarding the Olympics to China
    was political.

    Will the Olympics accelerate or decellerate China's reform?

    And don't forget, when Britain was at China's stage of economic
    development we were starving the people of Ireland, sending children
    to workhouses and only half the population were allowed to vote.

    I have travelled to China on a regular basis for the last 15 years.
    The pace of reform is astonishing. That is not to say that there is
    not some considerable way to go, but the general direction is good.

  17. On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 18:28:19 +0100 someone who may be Tom Crispin
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    OK - so the torch relay is political. Awarding the Olympics to China
    was political.

    Glad we agree.

    Quoted message said:

    Will the Olympics accelerate or decellerate China's reform?

    Before it was awarded some people claimed that it would accelerate
    reform. It would have to, because at the time China did not fulfill
    parts of the olympic charter and the Chinese regime made promises
    about this (details are in various mass media articles I can't be
    bothered to look up). Others said that the Chinese regime would not
    fulfill their promises.

    We now know that the latter were right.

    The Chinese regime having failed to fulfill their promises, what
    should the sporting lobby do? I think they should cancel the games,
    but there is too much money involved for them to do that. For the
    future they should hold the games in Greece, where they could put
    their semi-spiritual words into action.

    I hope that the sporting lobby are again held to account on the
    streets of San Francisco today. In Paris and London the protests
    have been non-violent (which is not the same thing as passive) and I
    hope that is maintained today. Removing the blood spattered torch
    from someone supporting the evil regime is something I approve of,
    attacking them is something I would not approve of. Note that some
    in the sporting lobby have lied about violent demonstrations. There
    have been no reports of people being harmed, shop windows being
    broken and so on.

    I gather that those who carry one of these torches are entitled to
    keep them. I hope they reflect on their support for the vile regime
    in China when they look at them in future and the torch becomes an
    embarrassment to them.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh
    I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54

  18. The BBC commentator at one point told us about the 'crowds' out to see
    the flame. I've seen better crowds at a Tuesday evening ten when it
    was raining!

  19. BigRab said:

    The BBC commentator at one point told us about the 'crowds' out to see
    the flame. I've seen better crowds at a Tuesday evening ten when it
    was raining!

    The route was 31 miles. What do you expect? Crowds 10 deep every
    yard of the route!? Even the London Marathon cannot manage that and
    that's only 26 miles.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.