Does anyone know if it is possible to cycle over this
bridge? I tried last night and was confronted by a nice big
_no cycling_ sign; having eventually reached my hotel via a
40k detour over le Pont de Tancardine I was informed by some
other English D-Dayers that there is a walk-cycleway from
the Le Havre side to an observation post in the middle, but
not all the way; why? BTW a bike was the only way to see
anything at the weekend, all the roads seemed to be closed
to other than invited guests and pedestrians/cyclists.
UK and Europe · Public discussion
Pont de Normandie
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- UK and Europe
- Published
- 7 June 2004
- Last activity
- 8 June 2004
- Original author
- Martinm
- Posts
- 6
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 831
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
"MartinM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to cycle over this
bridge? I tried last night and was confronted by a nice
big _no cycling_ sign; having eventually reached my hotel
via a 40k detour over le Pont de Tancardine I was informed
by some other English D-Dayers that there is a walk-
cycleway from the Le Havre side to an observation post in
the middle, but not all the way; why? BTW a bike was the
only way to see anything at the weekend, all the roads
seemed to be closed to other than invited guests and
pedestrians/cyclists.According to
lmars.co.ukpontnorm.htmlOpen ↗ [1]The road is a "road for motorvehicles", however, cyclists
(and pedestrians) appear to be able to use the hard strips
(which effectively from mandatory cycle lanes).[1]It not an official site, merely a "roadgeek" site, so I
wouldn't take it as gospel. -
MartinM said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to cycle over
this bridge?Judging by this pic:<url: earlybirds.users.btopenworld.comPic2003Open ↗
41.htm > it is possible, but I don't know when it dates
from. Last time I cycled there (1986 -- when I was a
teenager!) the Pont de Tancarville was the only bridge.Quoted message said:
I tried last night and was confronted by a nice big _no
cycling_ sign; having eventually reached my hotel via a
40k detour over le Pont de TancardineWhere are you staying? Honfleur? We stayed in Trouville --
ah, memories. -
"Simonb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:
MartinM said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to cycle over this
bridge?Judging by this pic:<url: earlybirds.users.btopenworld.comPic2003Open ↗
41.htm > it is possible, but I don't know when it dates
from. Last time I cycled there (1986 -- when I was a
teenager!) the Pont de Tancarville was the only bridge.Quoted message said:
I tried last night and was confronted by a nice big _no
cycling_ sign; having eventually reached my hotel via a
40k detour over le Pont de TancardineWhere are you staying? Honfleur? We stayed in Trouville --
ah, memories.No chance on D Day weekend, no chance anyway on my salary!
I was in the Le Havre Formule 1. The Tancarville is a
fairly lumpy structure to ride over, fun descent the other
side especially whilst trying to avoid going onto the
autoroute!. Having done 480k from Dinard I decided to
abandon at Le Havre, but as there was no ferry for 6 hrs
and that would take 5 1/2 decided to ride back to Dieppe so
I could see the cliffs at Etretat. Ended up doing 595k,
that's nearly half a PBP ;-) -
(MartinM) said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to cycle over this
bridge? I tried last night and was confronted by a nice big
_no cycling_ sign; having eventually reached my hotel via a
40k detour over le Pont de Tancardine I was informed by
some other English D-Dayers that there is a walk-cycleway
from the Le Havre side to an observation post in the
middle, but not all the way; why?According to the CTC, it is possible to cycle over the
bridge (There's a pdf of the route). You cycle through the
docks to avoid the autoroute approach. The route is a bit
convoluted and unsigned. From the south, the cycle route is
clearly marked.
--Cheers,
Al
-
"Nathaniel Porter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<ca2pgs$bn0
Quoted message said:
The road is a "road for motorvehicles", however, cyclists
(and pedestrians) appear to be able to use the hard strips
(which effectively from mandatory cycle lanes).[1]It not an official site, merely a "roadgeek" site, so I
wouldn't take it as gospel.Thanks for that; it clearly shows a bike/ped lane, but
GOK where the South end of this is; Oh well, will try
from the Le Havre direction next time (another weekend
slowly takes shape!)
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.