Port wine Sauce Help using Vintage Port (opened a couple of weeks ago - but refrigerated)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kate B, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. Kate B

    Kate B Guest

    I bought some fairly pricey "vintage port" for a special dish a few weeks ago. We're doing herb and
    pepper crusted roast beef tenderloin for Christmas and stuffed butterflied leg of lamb for Christmas
    Eve. I hate to let this port go to waste but I am not a fan of sweeter wines to sip on and was
    hoping to use the port wine for making some kind of sauce to accompany one or the other of the
    meats. Looking through a few of my cook books most port wine recipes seem to specify "tawny" or
    "ruby" port. I was wondering if anyone had a really excellent recipe for a port wine sauce using a
    good quality vintage port to accompany beef, preferably, or lamb (I've tentatively decided to make a
    olive brine and lamb glace reduction sauce for the lamb but that isn't written in stone).

    We're having black truffle risotto to accompany the beef.

    TIA

    Kate

    Tags:

  2. Stace

    Stace Guest

    "Kate B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:v%[email protected]...
    > I bought some fairly pricey "vintage port" for a special dish a few weeks ago. We're doing herb
    > and pepper crusted roast beef tenderloin for Christmas and stuffed butterflied leg of lamb for
    > Christmas Eve. I hate
    > let this port go to waste but I am not a fan of sweeter wines to sip on
    and
    > was hoping to use the port wine for making some kind of sauce to accompany one or the other of the
    > meats. Looking through a few of my cook books
    most
    > port wine recipes seem to specify "tawny" or "ruby" port. I was wondering if anyone had a really
    > excellent recipe for a port wine sauce using a good quality vintage port to accompany beef,
    > preferably, or lamb (I've tentatively decided to make a olive brine and lamb glace reduction sauce
    for
    > the lamb but that isn't written in stone).
    >
    > We're having black truffle risotto to accompany the beef.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Kate

    Oh Kate, *please* don't waste vintage port on a sauce...send it to ME!!!

    Stace

  3. Victor Sack

    Victor Sack Guest

    Kate B <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Looking through a few of my cook books most port wine recipes seem to specify "tawny" or "ruby"
    > port. I was wondering if anyone had a really excellent recipe for a port wine sauce using a good
    > quality vintage port to accompany beef, preferably, or lamb

    Oh, what a lamentable waste of great wine! :-( If you must, any recipe calling for ruby port (but
    not tawny) will work...

    Victor vincing :-/