Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Portland LBS recommendation

Started by Jon Blake · · Last activity · 9 posts · 496 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 July 2005
Last activity
22 July 2005
Original author
Jon Blake
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
496
Views / 30 days
8
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm hoping group members have a recommendation for a local bike store in
    Portland, OR for the purchase of a new Specialized road bike.

    TIA - Jon

  2. "Jon Blake" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm hoping group members have a recommendation for a local bike


    store in

    Quoted message said:

    Portland, OR for the purchase of a new Specialized road bike.

    River City. http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/ Great shop with an
    indoor test track. -- Jay Beattie.

  3. "Jon Blake" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm hoping group members have a recommendation for a local bike store in
    Portland, OR for the purchase of a new Specialized road bike.

    TIA - Jon

    I wouldn't go to River City for anything except browsing. They have a
    great inventory, but the service dept. is very poor and, from mine and
    friends experiences, don't really seem to care. This is from my experience
    and several other people who ride a lot.

    My recommendation would be Bike Gallery, who has about five locations in the
    Portland area. I don't believe they sell Specialized, but they are a very
    good all-around LBS.

    Good Luck,

    John (Blake) - Nice name Jon.

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  4. "John" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Jon Blake" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm hoping group members have a recommendation for a local


    bike store in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Portland, OR for the purchase of a new Specialized road bike.

    TIA - Jon

    I wouldn't go to River City for anything except browsing. They


    have a

    Quoted message said:

    great inventory, but the service dept. is very poor and, from


    mine and

    Quoted message said:

    friends experiences, don't really seem to care. This is from


    my experience

    Quoted message said:

    and several other people who ride a lot.

    My recommendation would be Bike Gallery, who has about five


    locations in the

    Quoted message said:

    Portland area. I don't believe they sell Specialized, but they


    are a very

    Quoted message said:

    good all-around LBS.

    This goes to show you how experiences can vary widely with the
    same shop. I have affiliations with both shops and their owners,
    and anything I say about either shop would be biased -- in favor
    of both. I would strongly suggest that Jon make his own decision
    and not pre-judge. As for the Specialized brand, River City has
    the bikes.

    The bottom line is that Jon is lucky to be in a town with a
    bazillion bicycle shops, many of them good. Also, Bike Gallery
    and River City are strong supporters of local advocacy groups and
    racing teams, which make me feel better when I break down and pay
    thier LBS prices. -- Jay Beattie.

  5. "Jay Beattie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "John" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Jon Blake" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm hoping group members have a recommendation for a local


    bike store in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Portland, OR for the purchase of a new Specialized road bike.

    TIA - Jon

    I wouldn't go to River City for anything except browsing. They


    have a

    Quoted message said:

    great inventory, but the service dept. is very poor and, from


    mine and

    Quoted message said:

    friends experiences, don't really seem to care. This is from


    my experience

    Quoted message said:

    and several other people who ride a lot.

    My recommendation would be Bike Gallery, who has about five


    locations in the

    Quoted message said:

    Portland area. I don't believe they sell Specialized, but they


    are a very

    Quoted message said:

    good all-around LBS.

    This goes to show you how experiences can vary widely with the
    same shop. I have affiliations with both shops and their owners,
    and anything I say about either shop would be biased -- in favor
    of both. I would strongly suggest that Jon make his own decision
    and not pre-judge. As for the Specialized brand, River City has
    the bikes.

    The bottom line is that Jon is lucky to be in a town with a
    bazillion bicycle shops, many of them good. Also, Bike Gallery
    and River City are strong supporters of local advocacy groups and
    racing teams, which make me feel better when I break down and pay
    thier LBS prices. -- Jay Beattie.


    I agree Jay. We are have to go off of our own experiences. You're right-on
    about the local area being bike friendly and lots of bike shops. Have fun
    Jon!

    John

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  6. John said:

    I agree Jay. We are have to go off of our own experiences. You're right-on
    about the local area being bike friendly and lots of bike shops. Have fun
    Jon!

    I agree with y'all. Both River City and Bike Gallery are good places
    for conventional bike stuff, but I like visiting the used parts room at
    Citybikes on Ankeny. Lots of neat, old, and plain funky parts for
    wackos llike me.

    Jeff

  7. "JeffWills" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    John said:

    I agree Jay. We are have to go off of our own experiences. You're
    right-on
    about the local area being bike friendly and lots of bike shops. Have
    fun
    Jon!

    I agree with y'all. Both River City and Bike Gallery are good places
    for conventional bike stuff, but I like visiting the used parts room at
    Citybikes on Ankeny. Lots of neat, old, and plain funky parts for
    wackos llike me.

    Jeff

    I thought I was the only retro-grouch around here! 🙂

    John

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  8. John said:


    I thought I was the only retro-grouch around here! 🙂

    Not by a long shot.

    Actually, I suffer from multiple cycling personalities:
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jwills/Gallery/index.html#Bike_Collection

    (I need to update that page- I'm down one recumbent and I've gained a
    Raliegh, a Bianchi, a Steelman track bike and a damaged Eisentraut
    frame. Old bike mechanics never die, they disappear under their piles
    of spare parts.)

    Jeff

  9. "John" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Jon Blake" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm hoping group members have a recommendation for a local bike store in
    Portland, OR for the purchase of a new Specialized road bike.

    TIA - Jon


    When I was in Portland, I always had good luck with Bike n' Hike, although
    that was when I was on a BMX . . .

    ***cc

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.