rec.bicycles.rides · Public discussion

Portland, Or Biking Info?

Started by Naaman G. Landers · · Last activity · 7 posts · 394 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides
Published
24 August 2005
Last activity
27 August 2005
Original author
Naaman G. Landers
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
394
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am seeking info regarding road biking opportunities in and near Portland.
    Is the Columbia River Gorge a possibility?

  2. Go here...

    http://www.odot.state.or.us/techserv/bikewalk/Maps/Columbia%20Gorge%20Bike%20Map.pdf

    ODOT's maps are pretty good, you may wish to pony up the bucks to buy one.
    They also have one for the coast.

    Have a great time. Beautiful area out there. Windy, however.
    "Naaman G. Landers" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am seeking info regarding road biking opportunities in and near Portland.
    Is the Columbia River Gorge a possibility?

  3. "Naaman G. Landers" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am seeking info regarding road biking opportunities in and near Portland.
    Is the Columbia River Gorge a possibility?


    Go to Louie and Becky's web site,
    http://www.blueberryrides.com/stories/narlins.htm

    They have links to all the clubs in the area and also have a lot of ride
    maps on their site.

    Yes, the Gorge is a great place to ride. I live in Vancouver, WA, accross
    the Columbia from Portland and do several Gorge rides, both on the Oregon
    side and the Washington side. You can do a ride on either side, to the town
    of Cascade Locks and cross the Bridge of the Gods and return on the opposite
    side...about 80 miles total trip. The entire area is loaded with great road
    bike rides and several very active clubs. The two largest are Vancouver,
    http://www.vancouverbicycleclub.com/ and the Portland Wheelmen,
    http://www.pwtc.com/

    Enjoy the rides!!

    John

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  4. Every good ride through the Columbia River Gorge ends in Troutdale at
    the Edgefield. Great place for after ride food brews.

    -n

  5. Quoted message said:

    Every good ride through the Columbia River Gorge ends in Troutdale at
    the Edgefield. Great place for after ride food brews.

    -n

    Very good point!

    John

  6. You folks have been more than helpful. I am looking forward to hitting the
    trail out there. I hope the wind and weather cooperate. However I plan to
    soldier on no matter the circumstances.

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Every good ride through the Columbia River Gorge ends in Troutdale at
    the Edgefield. Great place for after ride food brews.

    -n

  7. Naaman G. Landers said:

    You folks have been more than helpful. I am looking forward to hitting the
    trail out there. I hope the wind and weather cooperate. However I plan to
    soldier on no matter the circumstances.

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Every good ride through the Columbia River Gorge ends in Troutdale at
    the Edgefield. Great place for after ride food brews.

    -n


    Just remember that the closer to the gorge you are, the more wind you'll
    get. As you go north or south away from the gorge the wind drops off
    considerably. Generally speaking, the mornings are pretty calm and the
    afternoons will get some wind. Usually (but not always) it'll be an
    east wind in the morning and a west wind in the afternoon. The one
    thing you can count on is that there'll be a northwest wind every time
    you cross the Glen Jackson (I-205) bridge from Oregon into Washington 🙂
    At least it seems like that!

    John

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.