Posture

Mar 11, 2015
What would you say is a good posture to maintain whilst cycling? Is it universal for all bikes or do specific bikes require specific posture? I am just curious as I have noticed a really odd feeling in my shoulders lately, it's not pain but I just wondered if it could be posture related?

Different bikes fit different body types better than others. If you are looking for a new bike, it's a good idea to try out a number of different ones and see what feels good. I use an upright bike because leaning forward seems to always cause fatigue in my back and tension in my neck and shoulder muslces. I don't know what style of bike you are currently riding, but it definitely could be a posture issue. If you aren't considering a new bike anytime soon, take the one you have to a shop and explain what you are feeling. An eperienced person might have some easy fixes for you by simply adjusting the seat and or handlbars. It could be as simple as leaning too far forward or something like that.

Yeah its true different bikes suit different body types so you really have to try them out to see what works best for you. Also if you happen to be slouching a bit while you ride try to straighten your back it could really help. I had that problem once until I realized my posture while I was riding was the problem.

Reactions: Clairelouise84
kana_marie said:
If you keep your back straight as a board, wouldn't that help? Maybe?
I have tried that and it really hurt my shoulders and lower back, but then again that could be because I am not used to sitting or standing up as straight as that so maybe I should just bear with it?

DancingLady said:
Different bikes fit different body types better than others. If you are looking for a new bike, it's a good idea to try out a number of different ones and see what feels good. I use an upright bike because leaning forward seems to always cause fatigue in my back and tension in my neck and shoulder muslces. I don't know what style of bike you are currently riding, but it definitely could be a posture issue. If you aren't considering a new bike anytime soon, take the one you have to a shop and explain what you are feeling. An eperienced person might have some easy fixes for you by simply adjusting the seat and or handlbars. It could be as simple as leaning too far forward or something like that.
Thank you I will definitely try that, yeah my neck, back and shoulders started really hurting again so I want to nip that in the bud as soon as I can!

katherine25 said:
Yeah its true different bikes suit different body types so you really have to try them out to see what works best for you. Also if you happen to be slouching a bit while you ride try to straighten your back it could really help. I had that problem once until I realized my posture while I was riding was the problem.
I tried straightening it but that made my lower back and shoulders really hurt, is that normal and will it go away?

I'm sure there are some best practices for posture, but I believe it will also depend on the bike and the height of the cyclist, etc. I usually just do whatever feels good and doesn't seem to be applying a lot of weird pressure on my back. I've also had friends and family check my bike posture and offer suggestions.

I think for me when I'm having problems with my shoulders or back; it's usually the way I'm peddling. If you are straining your toes to peddle or it was the way my seat was positioned. When I use the balls of my feet it helps a lot also it gives me more of an upward position so it becomes very natural and thus I am able to enjoy my cycling session.

Thank you,
Eileen100

The most important piece of advice is probably to make sure that you can reach the handlebars without effort and that the seat is the right height, then maintaining a good posture will come naturally.

I would agree that the main thing to do is have a set up that is ergonomically appropriate for you. For the symptoms you are describing the culprit may be seat height. I think women often get a frame that is a bit too small and this has a cascade effect with incorrect positioning of the seat and handlebars.

The ideal height is described on the video below. You might also want to look at your seat type. If that is okay the next culprit to consider is handlebar position buit htis is harder to make a post-hoc fix on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=12&v=U12rBydlxeI

I would recommend to use the posture you are most comfortable with. If you are using one posture and it does not work out too well, maybe you feel a little strained and sore, change the posture you are using. Of course, you might need to take a few days off from riding so that the strains can repair themselves and you can better assess the new posture.

In my experience the best way to keep your body free of posture related aches and pains while cycling, is to shift your position often. Also, stretch your back, arms, and legs once in while, or stop by the side of the road and do it properly for a few minutes. I only ever get pain if I am in the same position for a long period of time. I tend to get stiff, and obviously that stiffness worsens the longer I keep certain muscles contracted.

I think the best posture for you and your back are the best posture to maintain. I do not think any one posture is a good fit for every rider. I think it depends on the rider and the ailments and other issues involved in the riders life.

Even in walking, models say posture matters most. In biking, I guess that also counts so you have to check if the size of your bike fits you. I normally experience pains in the shoulders when the bike I am using has a low handlebar - may be caused by that high saddle. That's one purpose of the adjustable bike seat, to conform to the contour of your body. Check it out, that shoulder pain is most likely due to posture.

A main part of any exercise practice is to keep focus on posture. If you're lifting weights but your posture is misaligned, you're training your muscles to an improper position. Bike riding also strains and strengthens core and upper body muscles, and it's important to be aware of your posture as much as possible. Muscles support the bones so it's very important that your muscular alignment is right.

I ride a road bike which I ride upright or leaning forward whilst riding into the wind. I keep my spine straight as I ride, including neck and pelvis. When I lean forward into the wind, I tilt my pelvis forward so that my spine remains straight. Simply practicing awareness of your posture will help you make small adjustments that will lead to more comfort in the moment and long term.

It depends on the bike. Usually if it has low handles, you'll usually have to lean forward and have your back forward creating a wind breaking, aerodynamic position. If the handles are high, your back shoukd be straight.