General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Potato and Leek Soup

Started by Ren · · Last activity · 11 posts · 876 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 April 2005
Last activity
14 April 2005
Original author
Ren
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
876
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Looking for a good potato and leek recipe if anyone has any. Thank you.

  2. Ren said:

    Looking for a good potato and leek recipe if anyone has any. Thank
    you.

    Easy as can be and absolutely wonderful.

    2 large white potatoes, peeled and diced
    2 large leeks, washed well and thinly sliced. Finely chop the green parts.
    4 c. chicken broth or stock
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/4-1/2 c. heavy cream (I use half & half most of the time)
    dash grated nutmeg
    1 Tbs. dried parsley for garnish (optional)

    In a large pot, combine the potatoes, leeks, chicken broth and salt & pepper
    (to taste, really). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer
    15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Strain the soup into a
    large mixing bowl or another pan. Blend the potatoes and leeks with about
    1/4 broth until smooth (I use my stick blender for this now that I have
    one). Return blended mixture to pan with remaining liquid. Stir in cream
    and nutmeg and heat through. Spoon into prepared bread bowls. Sprinkle
    with parsley to garnish. Serves 4

    Bread Bowls

    4 round loaves of sourdough bread, unsliced
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
    4 Tbs. olive oil

    Cut the tops from the round loaves about 3/4 inch thick to make 'lids'.Using
    a sharp knife, cut around the inside of the loaf leaving a 3/4" shell for
    the bowl to hollow out the center. (Saved removed bread to make croutons or
    breadcrumbs, etc.) Rub the inside of the bowls and the lids with crushed
    garlic and brush with olive oil. Bake on a baking sheet at 350F until
    slightly toasted. Serve the soup in the bread bowls. Don't forget, you can
    eat the bowl! (Place the "bread bowls" in a deep soup bowl or plate so it
    doesn't get all sloppy.)

    Jill

  3. Ren' said:

    Looking for a good potato and leek recipe if anyone has any. Thank you.

    I like to add a slice of American cheese to each serving bowl.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Potato Leek Soup with Ham

    Recipe By 😄amsel in dis Dress
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : crockpot soups/chowders

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 14 oz. cans chicken broth
    8 large potatoes -- peeled and cubed
    3 leeks - white & light green part only -- chopped
    2 large carrots -- peeled and cubed
    3 cups chopped ham
    5 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon parsley flakes
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    12 ounces evaporated milk
    shredded American cheese -- if desired
    chopped chives -- for garnish

    Put all ingredients except milk, cheese, and chives in 4.5 quart crockpot.
    Cover and cook on Low 10-12 hours. (High 7-8 hours)
    Add milk during last hour.
    Serve topped with shredded cheese and chopped chives (optional).

    Yield:
    "4 quarts"

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  4. "Ren" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:IgX4e.917127$8l.160787@pd7tw1no:

    Quoted message said:

    Looking for a good potato and leek recipe if anyone has any. Thank
    you.

    I call this Veggiessoise, and make it this way when vegetarian friends
    are coming. I actually prefer it with chicken broth, myself.

    If you don't have a pressure cooker (poor you!), just cook it in a large
    pot for 15-20 minutes instead of 3.

    8<----------------------------

    A healthy, cream-free, vegetarian variation on vichyssoise

    3 large leeks, white part only
    3 oz. butter
    1 onion
    4 white new potatoes
    40 oz. vegetable broth
    1 cucumber
    Salt and white pepper

    Melt the butter in the pressure cooker.

    Wash the leeks and cut them fairly small. Set them to cooking in the
    butter.

    Cut up the onion and add it to the leeks.

    Peel the potatoes and slice them thinly.

    Add the broth and the potatoes. Put the lid on the pressure cooker
    and bring it up to the cooking point. Cook for 3 minutes, then cool
    the cooker under the cold tap.

    Let the mixture cool a bit more, while you peel, seed, and dice the
    cucumber.

    Add salt and fresh white pepper, then run the soup and cucumber
    through the blender for half a minute or so.

    Put it in the fridge to chill. Serve when cold.

    8<---------------------

    Best,
    Mark P. Nelson.

    --
    While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making
    the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short
    of deliberate.--V.

  5. "Ren" wrote ...

    Quoted message said:

    Looking for a good potato and leek recipe if anyone has any. Thank you.


    POTATO-LEEK SOUP

    4 c chicken broth

    4 medium potatoes cut in chunks

    3 - 4 leeks sliced in 1/4-1/3-inch slices, white part and some of the pale
    green

    Salt and pepper to taste

    1 medium onion cut in chunks

    1 Tbsp butter

    4 - 5 slices of bacon

    1/2 c heavy cream

    1/2 tsp chervil

    2 Tbsp parsley

    Combine broth, potatoes, leeks, salt and pepper and simmer until potatoes
    and leeks are done. Sauté onion in butter until translucent. Fry, drain and
    chop bacon (1-inch pieces). When potatoes and leeks are done, add cream,
    chervil, parsley, bacon and onion with butter. Simmer until warmed through
    and serve.

  6. A little birdie told me that "Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby" <pjjehg

    @frontiernet.net said:

    POTATO-LEEK SOUP

    Chervil? This is one I'm going to have to try. We both love the recipe I
    usually make, but chervil? I'm there!

    Carol
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  7. "Damsel in dis Dress" wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:
    A little birdie told me that 'Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby said:

    POTATO-LEEK SOUP

    Chervil? This is one I'm going to have to try. We both love the recipe I
    usually make, but chervil? I'm there!

    Carol
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

    Hey, I know what you mean. Took me aback when I got the recipe. BTW, we'll
    be heading into your neighborhood, probably the first part of the week so if
    you have a shopping list for Penzey's and can hold out until then, unless
    Barb is visiting, let us know. I've got an iffy tooth and dentist
    appointment tomorrow and should know after that exactly when we're movin' on
    out.

    Pam

  8. My two cents worth on leek and potato soup. I think it always wants an
    onion, but I don't know why.

    I don't think it needs chicken stock, even though I value chicken
    stock enough to make a batch whenever it threatens to run low.

    I suggest that everyone should make a l&p soup once using just leek,
    potato, onion, salt, and water. Taste how nice it is without any
    fanciness. Then think of garnishes etc to jazz it up, if you wish. But
    don't assume it needs anything else until you try it.

    Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

    "Happy is he that taketh thy little ones and dasheth them upon the stones." __Psalm 137

  9. A little birdie told me that Rodney Myrvaagnes <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I suggest that everyone should make a l&p soup once using just leek,
    potato, onion, salt, and water. Taste how nice it is without any
    fanciness. Then think of garnishes etc to jazz it up, if you wish. But
    don't assume it needs anything else until you try it.

    I like ham and cheese in my potato leek soup. Mmmmmm!

    Carol
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  10. On Tue 12 Apr 2005 10:17:33p, Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    My two cents worth on leek and potato soup. I think it always wants an
    onion, but I don't know why.

    I don't think it needs chicken stock, even though I value chicken
    stock enough to make a batch whenever it threatens to run low.

    I suggest that everyone should make a l&p soup once using just leek,
    potato, onion, salt, and water. Taste how nice it is without any
    fanciness. Then think of garnishes etc to jazz it up, if you wish. But
    don't assume it needs anything else until you try it.

    I could forego the chicken stock, but I like buttermilk in mine.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Rodney Myrvaagnes said:

    My two cents worth on leek and potato soup. I think it always wants an
    onion, but I don't know why.

    I don't think it needs chicken stock, even though I value chicken
    stock enough to make a batch whenever it threatens to run low.

    I suggest that everyone should make a l&p soup once using just leek,
    potato, onion, salt, and water. Taste how nice it is without any
    fanciness. Then think of garnishes etc to jazz it up, if you wish. But
    don't assume it needs anything else until you try it.

    I usually make it with just leeks, potatoes, and chicken broth,
    and a little butter to lightly saute the leeks in. And a just
    a tiny bit of freshly grated nutmeg. I haven't tried adding
    onion yet; I'll have to give that a try next time. I've never
    put cream in it, and I find it quite wonderful without it. (And
    certainly lower calorie!)
    --
    Mad Science means never having to say | Mike Van Pelt
    "What's the worst thing that could happen?" | mvp at calweb.com
    -- Kevyn, schlockmercenary.com | KE6BVH

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.