General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Potato Leek Soup Today

Started by jmcquown · · Last activity · 19 posts · 686 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
31 August 2005
Last activity
2 September 2005
Original author
jmcquown
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
686
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Katrina" didn't dump much of anything on west TN but the temps dropped so
    I'm making potato-leek soup today (not that I need cool weather to make
    soup!). The basic recipe follows:

    2 large white potatoes, peeled and diced
    2 large leeks, washed well and thinly sliced. Finely chop the green parts
    (but not the full-blown tough leaves)
    4 c. chicken broth or stock
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/4-1/2 c. heavy cream (I use half & half most of the time)
    dash grated nutmeg
    1 Tbs. dried parsley for garnish (optional)

    In a large pot, combine the potatoes, leeks, chicken broth and salt & pepper
    (to taste, really). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer
    15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Strain the soup into a
    large mixing bowl or another pan. Blend the potatoes and leeks with about
    1/4 broth until smooth (I use my stick blender for this now that I have
    one). Return blended mixture to pan with remaining liquid. Stir in cream
    and nutmeg and heat through. Garnish with parsley.

    You may vary this soup in any number of ways. I like to cook a couple of
    slices of bacon if I have some and crumble it and add it to the soup.
    Sometimes I sprinkle shredded cheese over the soup in the bowl as a
    garnish - whatever is a nice melting cheese in my fridge.

    Jill
    --
    The person who rows the boat seldom has time to rock it

  2. I actually love potato and leek soup

  3. Jill, I make mine almost the same way, but I do put a bit of butter in
    the pan and cook the thinly sliced leeks first.It is really good.
    Rosie

  4. alex said:

    I actually love potato and leek soup

    It's good stuff. Often I make "bread bowls" to serve it in. Small hollowed
    out sourdough loaves rubbed with garlic and brushed with oil and baked until
    nice and toasty inside. Reserve the hollowed out bread pieces (freeze them)
    to make nice breadcrumbs later.

    Jill

  5. "alex" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I actually love potato and leek soup


    This is a really good one.

    -= Exported from BigOven =-

    Helen's Chunky Bacon, Leek & Potato Chowder

    Recipe By:
    Serving Size: 6
    Cuisine:
    Main Ingredient:
    Categories: Family

    -= Ingredients =-
    8 sl Bacon
    3 Leeks ; sliced use mostly
    White)
    4 oz Butter
    1/2 c Flour
    1 cn Chicken broth
    1 cn Hot water
    4 sm Potatoes ; peeled and diced
    2 c Half and half
    Salt to taste
    White pepper to taste
    ds Of nutmeg

    -= Instructions =-
    Saute bacon and leeks in a stockpot. Add butter, flour, and cook for 2
    minutes. Stir in water, chicken broth, potatoes, and cream. Add salt,
    white pepper, and nutmeg to taste. bake at 325F until potatoes are tender,
    about 1 1/4 hours.. Serve.
    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 334 Calories; 29g Fat (77.9% calories
    from fat); 7g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 78mg
    Cholesterol; 452mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2
    Non-Fat Milk; 5 1/2 Fat.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

    ** This recipe can be pasted directly into BigOven for Windows. **
    ** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

  6. jmcquown said:

    "Katrina" didn't dump much of anything on west TN but the temps dropped so
    I'm making potato-leek soup today (not that I need cool weather to make
    soup!). The basic recipe follows:

    <snipped recipe>

    Quoted message said:


    Jill

    Hey Jill, this looks good.

    Now I need to pick your brains again. I bought a 2kg bag of "catering
    quality" frozen peas yesterday - but they are so tough, I think they
    will only be good enough for soup 😉

    DH wants to make traditional Dutch pea soup, and I have googled, but
    there are so many variations, I am not sure which would be best. I know
    you are supposed to use dried peas, but a few recipes did say you could
    use "fresh". I really don't want to waste the peas. Do you have a
    favourite recipe?

    Thanks

    --
    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  7. "cathyxyz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    jmcquown said:

    "Katrina" didn't dump much of anything on west TN but the temps dropped
    so
    I'm making potato-leek soup today (not that I need cool weather to make
    soup!). The basic recipe follows:

    <snipped recipe>

    Quoted message said:


    Jill

    Hey Jill, this looks good.

    Now I need to pick your brains again. I bought a 2kg bag of "catering
    quality" frozen peas yesterday - but they are so tough, I think they will
    only be good enough for soup 😉

    DH wants to make traditional Dutch pea soup, and I have googled, but there
    are so many variations, I am not sure which would be best. I know you are
    supposed to use dried peas, but a few recipes did say you could use
    "fresh". I really don't want to waste the peas. Do you have a favourite
    recipe?

    Thanks

    --
    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

    If you are speaking of fresh garden peas (or frozen fresh garden peas) soup,
    this is basically what I know about fresh pea soup and have made it, but not
    this exact recipe, but quite similar to what I've made. In my mind, fresh
    pea soup has been French, not Dutch, but then, what do I know.
    http://www.soupsong.com/rstgerm2.html
    Actually fresh pea soup is quite refreshing! Ummm.
    Dee Dee

  8. Dee Randall said:


    If you are speaking of fresh garden peas (or frozen fresh garden peas) soup,
    this is basically what I know about fresh pea soup and have made it, but not
    this exact recipe, but quite similar to what I've made. In my mind, fresh
    pea soup has been French, not Dutch, but then, what do I know.
    http://www.soupsong.com/rstgerm2.html
    Actually fresh pea soup is quite refreshing! Ummm.
    Dee Dee

    Thanks Dee, but the one I am looking for is Erwtensoep (Dutch pea soup)
    and one of the ones I found was on the same site 😉

    http://www.soupsong.com/rpea2.html

    However this calls for split peas and I have frozen (so called) fresh
    garden peas, to answer your question. I dunno if these will do? I don't
    know why I bought them, they are a brand I have never tried, but they
    "looked" okay. Tried some last night and they were as tough as old
    boots! That'll larn me, as my Mom used to say. And as the French recipe
    calls for frozen tiny peas (that are usually very tender)..... hmmmm.
    🙂

    Cheers
    cathy(xyz)

  9. cathyxyz said:
    jmcquown said:

    "Katrina" didn't dump much of anything on west TN but the temps
    dropped so I'm making potato-leek soup today (not that I need cool
    weather to make soup!). The basic recipe follows:

    <snipped recipe>

    Quoted message said:


    Jill

    Hey Jill, this looks good.

    Now I need to pick your brains again. I bought a 2kg bag of "catering
    quality" frozen peas yesterday - but they are so tough, I think they
    will only be good enough for soup 😉

    DH wants to make traditional Dutch pea soup, and I have googled, but
    there are so many variations, I am not sure which would be best. I
    know
    you are supposed to use dried peas, but a few recipes did say you
    could
    use "fresh". I really don't want to waste the peas. Do you have a
    favourite recipe?

    Thanks

    I'm afraid I've never made a traditional pea soup using fresh *or* dried
    peas! I did buy some dried "split" peas to use in making soup but haven't
    attempted it yet. So sorry I'm not able to help!

    Jill

  10. jmcquown said:


    I'm afraid I've never made a traditional pea soup using fresh *or* dried
    peas! I did buy some dried "split" peas to use in making soup but haven't
    attempted it yet. So sorry I'm not able to help!

    Jill

    <sigh of disappointment>

    I thought you were the "Soup Queen" <sniff>. Glad you are ok, though.
    That's why I am grateful for geography sometimes.... no hurricanes
    around here!

    Cheers
    cathy(xyz)

  11. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Katrina" didn't dump much of anything on west TN but the temps dropped so
    I'm making potato-leek soup today (not that I need cool weather to make
    soup!). The basic recipe follows:


    <recipe snipped>

    I'm jealous, Jill - it won't be soup-making weather here until late
    November! (if the weather follows its usual pattern.) It's supposed to get
    up to 99 today. Last year, the first cold-snap occurred just before
    Thanksgiving!

    TammyM

  12. "cathyxyz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Dee Randall said:


    If you are speaking of fresh garden peas (or frozen fresh garden peas)


    soup,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    this is basically what I know about fresh pea soup and have made it, but


    not

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    this exact recipe, but quite similar to what I've made. In my mind,


    fresh

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    pea soup has been French, not Dutch, but then, what do I know.
    http://www.soupsong.com/rstgerm2.html
    Actually fresh pea soup is quite refreshing! Ummm.
    Dee Dee

    Thanks Dee, but the one I am looking for is Erwtensoep (Dutch pea soup)
    and one of the ones I found was on the same site 😉

    http://www.soupsong.com/rpea2.html

    However this calls for split peas and I have frozen (so called) fresh
    garden peas, to answer your question. I dunno if these will do? I don't
    know why I bought them, they are a brand I have never tried, but they
    "looked" okay. Tried some last night and they were as tough as old
    boots! That'll larn me, as my Mom used to say. And as the French recipe
    calls for frozen tiny peas (that are usually very tender)..... hmmmm.

    I have only ever made erwtensoep with dried peas. I think you should create
    your own using the fresh ones and let us know how it turns out :-) You
    could mash some of the peas for texture (a touch of cream wouldn't hurt
    either!)

    :-)

    TammyM, soup royalty in Her own right :->

  13. cathyxyz said:
    jmcquown said:


    I'm afraid I've never made a traditional pea soup using fresh *or*
    dried peas! I did buy some dried "split" peas to use in making soup
    but haven't attempted it yet. So sorry I'm not able to help!

    Jill

    <sigh of disappointment>

    I thought you were the "Soup Queen" <sniff>.

    Cheers
    cathy(xyz)

    Doesn't mean I've made every type of soup on the planet 🙂 I'd like to know
    how yours turns out if you make it. It's hard to fathom tough fresh (even
    from frozen) peas!

    Jill

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    rosie said:

    Jill, I make mine almost the same way, but I do put a bit of butter in
    the pan and cook the thinly sliced leeks first.It is really good.

    Same here, but I don't add the cream, and use less liquid
    (chicken stock) for thickness. One day I may try it with
    the cream, but I really like it without. (What I've had
    in restaurants is no doubt done with cream, and I like
    mine better than that.)

    With bacon, on the other hand... mmmmmmmmmmmmm!! Maybe use
    the bacon fat to pre-cook the leeks....

    --
    Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
    Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
    My sense of self-preservation found the body, | KE6BVH
    but assures me it has an airtight alibi." (schlockmercenary.com)

  15. I've got a recipe for fresh pea soup with butter dumplings. let me dig
    out The Vegetarian Epicure after the kiddo goes to bed and i'll post it
    for you. I've always used fresh shelled peas, but my mom has made it
    with frozen before.

  16. TammyM said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Katrina" didn't dump much of anything on west TN but the temps
    dropped so I'm making potato-leek soup today (not that I need cool
    weather to make soup!). The basic recipe follows:


    <recipe snipped>

    I'm jealous, Jill - it won't be soup-making weather here until late
    November! (if the weather follows its usual pattern.) It's supposed
    to get up to 99 today. Last year, the first cold-snap occurred just
    before Thanksgiving!

    TammyM

    LOL It's not exactly cold here, you know! It was only 90 yesterday. I
    make soup year-round 🙂

    Jill

  17. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    TammyM said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Katrina" didn't dump much of anything on west TN but the temps
    dropped so I'm making potato-leek soup today (not that I need cool
    weather to make soup!). The basic recipe follows:


    <recipe snipped>

    I'm jealous, Jill - it won't be soup-making weather here until late
    November! (if the weather follows its usual pattern.) It's supposed
    to get up to 99 today. Last year, the first cold-snap occurred just
    before Thanksgiving!

    TammyM

    LOL It's not exactly cold here, you know! It was only 90 yesterday. I
    make soup year-round 🙂

    I bow to your soup-Queenliness (your Soupiness?) I whine about the heat
    here in Sac regularly, but I know that it doesn't hold a candle to
    Memphis -- ours, as we say, "is a DRY heat." The humidity there must be
    killer. It was 97 here yesterday. 10% humidity. Sure glad I don't smoke
    anymore, pretty easy to torch something, as dry as everything is here these
    days!

    About the only soup I can abide making right now is gazpacho :-)

    TammyM, Soup Princess

    TammyM

  18. TammyM said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    TammyM said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > dropped so I'm making potato-leek soup today (not that I need cool
    > weather to make soup!). The basic recipe follows:
    <recipe snipped>

    I'm jealous, Jill - it won't be soup-making weather here until late
    November! (if the weather follows its usual pattern.)
    TammyM

    LOL It's not exactly cold here, you know! It was only 90
    yesterday. I make soup year-round 🙂

    I bow to your soup-Queenliness (your Soupiness?)

    I love that! Soupiness!

    I whine about the

    Quoted message said:

    heat here in Sac regularly, but I know that it doesn't hold a candle
    to
    Memphis -- ours, as we say, "is a DRY heat." The humidity there must
    be killer. It was 97 here yesterday. 10% humidity. Sure glad I
    don't smoke anymore, pretty easy to torch something, as dry as
    everything is here these days!

    About the only soup I can abide making right now is gazpacho :-)


    What's the name of that cold potato soup? Vishyssoise? That might be good
    with leeks in it, too 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    TammyM, Soup Princess

    TammyM

    It's 91F here at the moment with 42% humidity. That's relatively low
    humidity for this time of year. You can feel it but it's not like you just
    got slapped in the face with a hot wet rag 🙂

    OB more food: The weather is supposed to be perfect for Labor Day weekend,
    around 88F and sunny so I'll be grilling. I'm definitely grilling the two
    zucchini I have. But I haven't decided on the "main" yet - marinated
    grilled flank steak, grilled chicken thighs or fish (tilapia). As usual, I
    won't know what I want until the morning of, when it's time to do the
    defrost in a sink filled with cold water trick. (In case of flank steak, it
    will then be get it in the marinade, quick!)

    Jill

  19. Mike Van Pelt said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    rosie said:

    Jill, I make mine almost the same way, but I do put a bit of butter
    in the pan and cook the thinly sliced leeks first.It is really good.

    Same here, but I don't add the cream, and use less liquid
    (chicken stock) for thickness. One day I may try it with
    the cream, but I really like it without. (What I've had
    in restaurants is no doubt done with cream, and I like
    mine better than that.)

    With bacon, on the other hand... mmmmmmmmmmmmm!! Maybe use
    the bacon fat to pre-cook the leeks....

    Mike, I didn't use bacon fat to pre-cook the leaks (will do that next time)
    but I added some crumbled bacon and about 2 oz. of the German Butter Cheese
    to the leftover soup when I reheated it. The cheese melted nicely and added
    some "oomph" LOL The bacon definitely added a kick. There are so many
    things you can do with this simple recipe. Normally I would scoop out the
    innards from a couple of small sourdough loaves, rub them with garlic and
    then brush with oil and bake them to use as "bowls" for the soup. I didn't
    do it this time so here you have another thing you can do. Anything goes!
    YUM!

    Jill

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.