Power distributions on 2 different workout.

BlueJersey

Jan 5, 2005
Rather than riding 2 hours out to the nearest hill and working on climbing repeats at threshold, I headed out to my usual park loop. My plan was to increase my 2 hours power but using my AWC (240w to 300w) on half of the park loop. And riding at tempo on the other half in order to recover. Would do this for 2 hours. Roughly 13 laps.

I found out that what I did today is actually more intense than heading out to do hill repeats. :D In fact, today, I spent 30 minutes between 240w to 290w. Some 7 minutes at 300w+. 1 hour between 190w to 240w. NP for 2 hours is 218w.

If I had done the hill repeat ride, I would only spend an extra 7 minutes at 240w to 290w. 50 minutes between 190w to 240w. The ride would be 3 hours and 30 minutes long versus today 2 hours and 55 minutes.

Today's IF is .82 for 2 hours and 55 minutes. IF is .87 for 2 hours.
If I have done the hill repeat ride, IF would be .73 for 3 hours and 30 minutes.

It seems that the time and miles I used to get to this nearest hill have been all junk miles???

BlueJersey said:
It seems that the time and miles I used to get to this nearest hill have been all junk miles???
It's easy for that to happen when just riding around, and it takes some concentration to keep power up in the training ranges for sustained durations. I'd suggest riding tempo out to the hill, doing the repeats, then riding L2 home.

Yeah, the problem is that I live in NYC. Heading out to NJ I have to go thru a lot of traffics. Another solution is that I can drive very close to this hill and spending more time and intensity working on the hill repeats. Until I am so wasted. Then, drive back home. Fortunately, I only did the hill repeat ride twice so far.

frenchyge said:
It's easy for that to happen when just riding around, and it takes some concentration to keep power up in the training ranges for sustained durations. I'd suggest riding tempo out to the hill, doing the repeats, then riding L2 home.

Forget Alpine for threshold.....it is too short. Barely a mile @ 6%. If you are going to drive out to Alpine you may as well go up to Perkins and get in 20 minute repeats. If you are going to do alpine as threshold repeats then start at the bottom and make a right onto 9w and continue for 10-15 minutes. It is slightly uphill there as well. I think Alpine is really good for L5 @ 5 minutes but it is really not long enough for those LT efforts.

BlueJersey said:
Yeah, the problem is that I live in NYC. Heading out to NJ I have to go thru a lot of traffics. Another solution is that I can drive very close to this hill and spending more time and intensity working on the hill repeats. Until I am so wasted. Then, drive back home. Fortunately, I only did the hill repeat ride twice so far.

For those 2 times, I started from the boat basin to all the way to first first highway sign. Distance is about 1.25 mile. Climbing at threshold,4.1w/kg, is about 8 minutes. I did 4 times up. I could have done more if I hadn't ridden 2 hours to get there in moderate effort. I will figure a way to get those climbing legs ready.

greenrhino said:
Forget Alpine for threshold.....it is too short. Barely a mile @ 6%. If you are going to drive out to Alpine you may as well go up to Perkins and get in 20 minute repeats. If you are going to do alpine as threshold repeats then start at the bottom and make a right onto 9w and continue for 10-15 minutes. It is slightly uphill there as well. I think Alpine is really good for L5 @ 5 minutes but it is really not long enough for those LT efforts.