Power meters · Public discussion

Power meter for kurt kinetic road machine

Started by tdl123321 · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,860 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Power meters
Published
6 November 2006
Last activity
11 November 2006
Original author
tdl123321
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,860
Views / 30 days
14

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm going to be buying this trainer in the near future. My question... Is there any reason to buy their power meter. As I understand it, the power meter is based on speed. So, why can't I just use my cycle computer instead?

  2. tdl123321 said:

    So, why can't I just use my cycle computer instead?


    You can, as long as you've converted all your training targets to speed. The real benefit of the computer, as I see it, is that it allows you to look down at any time and see watts. So, in the last few minutes of an interval, when you're really grunting it out, instead of seeing speed as .4 mph faster, you'll see that your putting out +50w which may give you a better real-time measure of your performance. Without the computer, you can work it all out post-ride, but it may not give the same real-time motivation boost.

  3. tdl123321 said:

    I'm going to be buying this trainer in the near future. My question... Is there any reason to buy their power meter. As I understand it, the power meter is based on speed. So, why can't I just use my cycle computer instead?

    Make a chart to stick on your bars....speed to Watts. Use the Kinetic formula to figure it out.

    X= speed in MPH.

    5.244820x + 0.01968x3

  4. TiMan said:

    Make a chart to stick on your bars....speed to Watts. Use the Kinetic formula to figure it out.

    X= speed in MPH.

    5.244820x + 0.01968x3


    Thanks TiMan, that is what I had in mind. Certainly cheaper than a 50 dollar computer.

  5. You can always get the computer later and by then it may have some improvements like abreviations that can be seen without a microscope, average and current watts on the same screen and maybe even cadence on the same screen so I can take my other computer off. That would be nice I'll dream about that tonight.🙂

  6. I bought the power meter also, I think it is a bit over rated, as said above you can use a simple chart with the calculation, I think a cadence meter is more important to track how you feel turn a known cadence over a period of time.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.